Microsoft Flight Simulator

tronied

12 hours ago, Stanley said:

You could buy a Series S or X, a lot less expensive and you could sell it on pretty easily If it’s not your thing. 

True, I was looking to dabble in other PC games though. I already have a PS5 so not sure the Xbox would get much use beyond this.

Just now, thirstywiganer said:

True, I was looking to dabble in other PC games though. I already have a PS5 so not sure the Xbox would get much use beyond this.

Ah, in that case it sounds like a PC is the better option because you still get all the benefits of Game Pass if you want in addition to all the extra power and flexibility the PC offers. 

30 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Ah, in that case it sounds like a PC is the better option because you still get all the benefits of Game Pass if you want in addition to all the extra power and flexibility the PC offers. 

Didn't even know they did Game Pass on PC. It's amazing how out of the loop you get once you have kids!

4 minutes ago, thirstywiganer said:

Didn't even know they did Game Pass on PC. It's amazing how out of the look you get once you have kids!

Tell me about it, you can have all the gear etc. but finding the time to play the damn things :lol:

aha, now you can budget the PC against "the kids will need it for homework" and stuff as well (3080s are really good for learning IT and writing book reports, honest).

37 minutes ago, Mike S said:

Iceland.

Always bloody cloudy!

10 minutes ago, Meers said:

EHOW. That's where I live (ish).

nice!

I can take a trip to Afnuirgnjocervrou and Hdriuncreioefnirfeo on the way!

Lovely (and challenging) flight last night. Ibiza to Gibraltar in the Cessna Citation.

Live weather, so it was dark and thunderstormy - but satill lovely views as I flew down the spanish coast, though I didn;t managed to hit the screenshot pic in time to catch the lightning.

Finished off by a very challenging landing on Runway 9 at Gibraltar using the RNAV 09 approach.. The Spanish won't allow planes operating in or out of gibraltar to use Spanish airspace on the approach, so you have to come in from the east and do a tight 180in the bay to the west of the runway and hope you judge it right as you come onto the runway headiung as there's no time to readjust once you level out. screwed it up on first attempt and had to go back out and fly the whole approach again.

Cant wait to go see Switzerland….the most gorgeous place on earth by the looks of it to me…

I want to be there and I want to die there….maybe if I go there I can be there and if I go rock climbing I can die there.

2 minutes ago, Harrisown said:

Cant wait to go see Switzerland….the most gorgeous place on earth by the looks of it to me…

Speaking of gorgeous places...have you been to EHOW airstrip already? :quote:

2 hours ago, RFT said:

Lovely (and challenging) flight last night. Ibiza to Gibraltar in the Cessna Citation.

Live weather, so it was dark and thunderstormy - but satill lovely views as I flew down the spanish coast, though I didn;t managed to hit the screenshot pic in time to catch the lightning.

Finished off by a very challenging landing on Runway 9 at Gibraltar using the RNAV 09 approach.. The Spanish won't allow planes operating in or out of gibraltar to use Spanish airspace on the approach, so you have to come in from the east and do a tight 180in the bay to the west of the runway and hope you judge it right as you come onto the runway headiung as there's no time to readjust once you level out. screwed it up on first attempt and had to go back out and fly the whole approach again.

Landed at Gibraltar many time. Back when I struggled with flying it was classic shit yourself tackle.

4 hours ago, Meers said:

Speaking of gorgeous places...have you been to EHOW airstrip already? :quote:

I started a flight from there and got about 30 minutes in before the new bathroom turned up so I had to abort. 
I shall return.

looked flat and very lakey 

Spotted the T-flight HOTAS was in stock in scan so brought it in fit of spontaneous indulgence.

This will be the first time of  using one, are there any tips on setup? I am guessing I will still need a the controller/a mouse to select buttons in the cockpit? I don't know how many additional button the stick adds for short cuts over a controller.

It's pretty much plug and play but yes you'll need a pad or mouse for ui stuff and messing with things in the cockpit. I prefer the pad as a mouse is a bit faffy unless you have a flat surface to use. A little mini keyboard is handy too as you can just use shortcuts, they are dirt cheap on Amazon.

The Hotas doesn't have that many extra buttons although all the most frequent stuff is on there. Also some of the button prompts the game puts up are actually wrong for some reason. for example, B is for landing gear but it shows something else, same for flaps down. hope they fix that with the patch.

11 minutes ago, tnman said:

How do you take screenshots without HUD bits on? (I'm on Xbox and can't see a quick option to turn them off. Or enable Active Pause.)

Select Showcase camera from the camera drop-down menu at the top of the screen. You can then freely move the camera and toggle things like depth-of-field etc. In order to remove the little white marker at the top of the screen just tap up on the d-pad and it will fade away after a few moments.

I use a keyboard and mouse as well as a pad now but when I was solely using a pad I mapped Active Pause to Y and changed Toggle Auto-pilot to RB + D-Pad Up. This meant that I could pause instantly with a press of a single button and then take my time to set up screenshots.

Alternatively you can turn off the Instrument HUD in chase view in the Camera section under General Options.