IGNORED

Microsoft Flight Simulator

tronied

I am sometimes playing with a keyboard and mouse attached but both are wired so it means sitting on the floor very close to the telly.  This makes everything much easier, not least menu/button selection and, whilst uncomfortable for long period, sitting so close the screen means maximum immersion!

Also there is a option for camera momentum I think in the general settings somewhere. I have it set to 20 because with the default looking around the cockpit used to give you lots of travel so you would over shoot the controls.

Four times now I’ve tried to fly from Edinburgh to Gatwick in a Cessna 172 in order to get the 300 mile flight achievement. Twice a bug has caused me to slam into the ground after the game paused and twice my in plane screens have blacked out, followed shortly later by some graphics failing to load and then a complete black screen and restart. 

10 hours or more down the toilet. Fuck this game. I’ll maybe come back in a couple of months when hopefully the bugs have been looked at. 

Yesterday evening I bought the Optica, so here's a quick review.

It seems to be buggy at the moment. I went through a full manual startup based on the checklists and couldn't get the avionics to switch on. or they might have been on, but not showing anything. There's never anyone in the cockpit which looks wierd when looking at an outside camera.

Flying qualities:

This is not a short take-off plane like a cessna 152/or 172 where you'll be airborne very quickly. it accelerates slowly to about 60mph, then a bit faster, and needs a good chunk of your average "old WW2 RAF Runway" length to get airborne. Once airborne, on a pad at least the climbout phase is tricky as well.

Once you're up, the view is magnificent as you'd expect, but unless you've put weight for a co-pilot into the right seat, it has a strong tendency to bank to the left - but drawing fuel from the left tank will eventually alleviate this. It's quite heavy and sluggish on the controls. 

Landing: I'm finding it very hard to land, so far. I think the front window is making me try and come in too steep but  I'm also getting an effect where I feel like I;m the right height over the runway threshold but there's a really strong ground effect stopping it coming down the last 30 feet or so, and I end up landing very long.

So yeah, it's a lovely way to look at the scenery, but it's more challenging than the 172.

6 minutes ago, SaintAnselm said:

So not having a co-pilot is the reason why some planes veer to the left whilst in the air? I was wondering why this happened.

It is usually an effect of propellor torque and gyroscopic effect alongside a couple of other variables influenced by the rotational direction of the blades...

For PC players who enjoy flying through the concrete canyons of NYC as fast as their Top Rudder 103 Solo will carry them, there is a great scenery pack from SamScene3D. It hugely improves the messy standard photogrammetry (although some buildings look a little too 'clean') and adds a surprisingly high number of buildings that are not present in the MS modelling.

11 minutes ago, SaintAnselm said:

So not having a co-pilot is the reason why some planes veer to the left whilst in the air? I was wondering why this happened.

Yes. a plane's not fixed to the ground, and for a light aircraft the weight of a person is a significant proportion of the weight of the aircraft, so if the C of G is left of centre, there'll be a force that tries and slowly pulls that side down, plus the Propeller wash, torque reaction, and gyro effects Mike S mentions. basically, There;'s a lot of complex forces acting on a prop plane in flight and it's a wonder they can fly straight at all sometimes. Lots of planes are a bit assymeytrical to try and cancel some of these effects out.

Downloaded a TMB 930 mod (by Mugz) which when paired up with the G3000 improvement mod makes the aircraft a total joy to fly. It’s a ridiculously powerful turboprop and really good for longish flights. 

So far I have made it as far as Iran in my global circumnavigation. Off down through India then across to Thailand and Vietnam next. 

7 hours ago, SaintAnselm said:

Some planes only take fuel from one tank at a time so they’ll become unbalanced over time. Depending on the plane you need to either switch the active tank, or pump from one to the other, to balance it out.

I've got this downloading - I'd just like to sightsee with a controller, at least at first. Is there a casual control mode (presumably with assists) to do so? 

Just don’t expect it to land too well 😬 tbh flying isn’t hard, It’s navigating and using instrumentation that takes learning, even taking off and landing isn’t difficult. But for sightseeing just pick a spot on the globe and take a small plane out there, it’s as easy as pie. 

I'm now using this as a means to find small villages I didn't know exist in conjunction with the Right Move app to scout for areas near the coast that I didn't know about.

Had a nice flight up a section of the Norfolk coastline earlier.

I haven't had a lot of time on this (XSX is currently a Roblox machin, sigh) so haven't learned any of the autopilot and other navigation features. However, I did fly from Spokane, WA over to Seattle by mostly* following I-90, a trip we're thinking of actually driving one day. I didn't plan it well and picked up a road which I realized didn't have enough lanes to be an interstate (it's awesome it's detailed enough for this sort of thing) so was flying with one hand and navigating google maps on my phone with my other. Eventually realized I'm on highway 2 and headed a bit south to pick up I-90. It was such an amazing flight, my son and wife watched. I mean, it should be dull as dishwater but it goes from the arid landscape of eastern Washington state to the Cascades and ice-capped mountains and before you know it you're deep in fog and out the other side of the Cascades to the outskirts of the Seattle metro area. 

I wish I had taken photos. But at least we now know that we'll pass through a town call George when we drive this route ( :lol: ). I really need to run through the tutorials for the Learjet (or what looks like a Learjet, I forget the name) to learn how to set an airspeed (at its max clip without overspeeding) and at an automatic sightseeing low altitude so all I need do is steer along highways. Thinking of starting the same thing except taking off from the local municipal runway. It's a 25 hour drive to Seattle from here, so I'll have to save the flight as I go.

4 minutes ago, thirstywiganer said:

Almost tempted to buy a PC tower setup to give this a go. Not that I have anywhere to put it. Would I be disappointed?

Don't know how anybody can really answer this, its a towering technical achievement of a piece of software with years of support ahead of it but you kind of have to make your own fun up out of it (apart from some training and pre set jaunts to go on).

If exploring the whole world from above as some super glorified map viewing tool in 3d with weather whilst learning as much or as little as you want about flying is your thing then its great, to others its a tedious no game bore fest.

Many people bounce off it inside a few mins whilst others will be playing it for years to come. 

It's impressing me more than anything else I've ever played on a console I'm constantly amazed at the achievement and the sheer scale/variety of the planet - it can be quite a humbling game in certain weather/locations but again I'll show my son the same thing and he'll go 'meh, doesn't look like the shop at the end of the road'. 

1 minute ago, Gotters said:

Don't know how anybody can really answer this, its a towering technical achievement of a piece of software with years of support ahead of it but you kind of have to make your own fun up out of it (apart from some training and pre set jaunts to go on).

If exploring the whole world from above as some super glorified map viewing tool in 3d with weather whilst learning as much or as little as you want about flying is your thing then its great, to others its a tedious no game bore fest.

Many people bounce off it inside a few mins whilst others will be playing it for years to come. 

It's impressing me more than anything else I've ever played on a console I'm constantly amazed at the achievement and the sheer scale/variety of the planet - it can be quite a humbling game in certain weather/locations but again I'll show my son the same thing and he'll go 'meh, doesn't look like the shop at the end of the road'. 

Yeah, I know what you mean; I was thinking aloud really. I think I'm just trying to justify the expense to myself!

I'd be tempted to find a free trial of game pass and just stream it (well, the XSX version), if you're considering buying a PC just to play it. FS has always been about making your own game. I mean, I just flew from one side of a state to another and enjoyed the whole thing, but I appreciate that's like watching paint dry for others. 

As a sort of Google Earth in 3D with live weather you navigate with a plane instead of a mouse, it's unparalleled. But you have to like that, too. If you do, you'll probably like it. Learning to fly is just a bonus.

1 hour ago, thirstywiganer said:

Almost tempted to buy a PC tower setup to give this a go. Not that I have anywhere to put it. Would I be disappointed?

the bigger problem is finding a graphics card to do it justice.

On 21/08/2021 at 17:52, spanx said:

Some seriously moody clouds flying out of London City this afternoon on a quick shuttle service to Brussels

12E018C6-1632-4FD4-BE13-16950DC02D22.jpeg

This reminds me that, after a year of casual playing, I have still not flown a jet or been above the clouds.

I shall try and rectify that this week as it looks amazing. 

1 hour ago, thirstywiganer said:

Good point! It's a long time since I was in the PC building game - wouldn't know where to start on what's good/suitable for it

You could buy a Series S or X, a lot less expensive and you could sell it on pretty easily If it’s not your thing.