IGNORED

Microsoft Flight Simulator

tronied

17 hours ago, deerokus said:

I recommend the Rijeka to Santorini Bush Trip. It's pretty easy to navigate as the plane has a GPS screen -whioe still being a bit more involved than just following the waypoints - and the scenery is beautiful.

I tried this last night and unfortunately crashed into some hills about three quarters of the way in! Just couldn't regain the height I needed - I'd dropped to 1,000 feet for much of it as that's what I thought the game was telling me to do. Nice to have a GPS - I hate to think what I'll do on the other trips without one. Need a decent tutorial on the VFR stuff.

The brilliant thing about this game is that even though I'm going to return my S, by the time I get an X it will be in even better nick. I can see them building and building on this for years. Proper evergreen stuff. 

I'm still very much just at the noodling about virtual sightseeing stage with about 5-6h of flight time clocked, my gaming time is limited so the temptation is strong to just do a flight somewhere interesting.

My other half requested a flyover of Cape Town as she'd never been, it's huge and sprawls for miles. Then did a sunset flyover of London again which I just can't resist. Earlier in the day did a flight just by eye out from the City to Heathrow then turned round using the M25 as my visual aid to get a bead and head for Wembley Stadium.

What I can't resist though is a bit of cheap scenery content that improves the game overall, buying an airport scenery pack that claims to improve all airports and ground crew vehicles correctly modelled for regions ! 

1 hour ago, Kevvy Metal said:

The advice in that link didn't work for some of us, but someone earlier in the thread did post a solution that works. The suggestion that worked for me was to set the controls of the external camera to the opposite of what you'd expect. So if you want to pull down to look up like any sane person would, set look up to be up on the stick, and down for look down. There was some rationale as to why it's like this, made no sense to me but made it playable finally.

I’m trying to clear something with the auto pilot. Does it fully work on custom waypoints on VFR? 

I set a flight path but whatever I do it doesn’t follow the line connecting   the waypoints and it just seems to go straight from “arrival” to “departure” waypoints.

2 hours ago, Stanley said:

How good is this game though, seriously. Was flying around Melbourne last night, morning there, with the sun coming up over the horizon :)

It really is magnificent. A thing of wonder. Flying a Spitfire under the Clifton suspension bridge - upside down -  just because you can.

It's even given me ideas for some road trips/holidays in the UK. Places I've never really considered before, but since visiting in flight sim I'm thinking, yeah, I'd like to actually go there.

Still not properly visited anywhere abroad. Had a quick look at the showcase flights but just completely entranced with flying around the UK.

The X is going to mature into such an incredible platform. I already love this thing but with Flight Sim, Halo Infinite and the new Forza, holy shit.

Just now, Uncle Nasty said:

It really is magnificent. A thing of wonder. Flying a Spitfire under the Clifton suspension bridge - upside down -  just because you can.

It's even given me ideas for some road trips/holidays in the UK. Places I've never really considered before, but since visiting in flight sim I'm thinking, yeah, I'd like to actually go there.

Still not properly visited anywhere abroad. Had a quick look at the showcase flights but just completely entranced with flying around the UK.

The X is going to mature into such an incredible platform. I already love this thing but with Flight Sim, Halo Infinite and the new Forza, holy shit.

Yeah ditto, would really love to visit Fort William and around those parts, beautiful there and I’ve never been. 

4 hours ago, Marlew said:

I can see them building and building on this for years. Proper evergreen stuff. 

10 years of announced support if I remember correctly, and it'll probably get 3rd party support beyond that if Flight Sim X is anything to go by. That's why I was totally happy having spent $30 on planes already (Typhoon and the flying chair). Going all in on the hotas kit at some point.

It'll presumably look even better when we get a Xbox Series {New_Letter} console at some point, assuming that's what the series in Series means.

3 hours ago, Stanley said:

How good is this game though, seriously. 

Absolutely. I'm regularly flying over a part of the country I want to move to, just getting the lay of the land and enjoying the fact it's so goddamn pretty there. I forget the name, the plane that's basically a chair with wings strapped to it, is utterly perfect for this. 

5 minutes ago, TehStu said:

Absolutely. I'm regularly flying over a part of the country I want to move to, just getting the lay of the land and enjoying the fact it's so goddamn pretty there. I forget the name, the plane that's basically a chair with wings strapped to it, is utterly perfect for this. 

TOP RUDDER 103 SOLO! 

2 minutes ago, milko said:

has anyone tried the flying boat that appears to be literally a hang glider and a propeller strapped to a Zodiac inflatable?

Yeah, I picked that up and went bobbing around the Isle of Man. Absolutely ridiculous but fun. 

Does the Series X version support mods? I assume there’s a lot of free marketplace content, but there’s some really amazing third party content and services, the main one being Navigraph, which is a must if you really get in to this. The charts subscription gives you updated VOR and navigation data and a brilliant moving map feature. Really hope they make that work on Xbox. 

Also the FlyByWire a320…. :chefs kiss:

30 minutes ago, TehStu said:

25 minutes ago, Mike S said:

TOP RUDDER 103 SOLO! 

Reminds me of one of the Far Crys, you had something similar to fly in that. But yeah, perfect for this.

Does anyone k ow what’s going on with the controls ?

some of them just plain don’t work.

I have an analogue zoom set to LB+ Right stick up and down.

If I want LB + Left stick to do the moving around cockpit thing it just doesn’t work.

LB + Y I want as instrument view and then dpad to switch between the instrument views….doesn’t work.

3 hours ago, Talk Show Host said:

I’m trying to clear something with the auto pilot. Does it fully work on custom waypoints on VFR? 

I set a flight path but whatever I do it doesn’t follow the line connecting   the waypoints and it just seems to go straight from “arrival” to “departure” waypoints.

I haven’t tried this myself yet but from watching a few videos you may need to press the CDI button (centre bottom on G1000) to change from GPS mode (magenta arrows on the compass nav thing) to VOR1 or LOC1 (Green arrows) this will then direct you to your VOR waypoints. The frequency of the VOR should be shown in the upper left along with its name (if they are in your flight plan)

32 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

It's a shame that it appears you can't start on a river.

Start in the air then land on the river, then you can takeoff from there. I've done some seaplane stuff around loch Lomond (although the terrain detection can get a bit weird).

42 minutes ago, Nosejam said:

I haven’t tried this myself yet but from watching a few videos you may need to press the CDI button (centre bottom on G1000) to change from GPS mode (magenta arrows on the compass nav thing) to VOR1 or LOC1 (Green arrows) this will then direct you to your VOR waypoints. The frequency of the VOR should be shown in the upper left along with its name (if they are in your flight plan)

You have to be careful with VOR navigation. You don’t really navigate “to” a VOR in the same way as a Navaid or GPS fix, more you orient yourself on a radial to or from it. You really have to plan VOR flights carefully, often having to track two VORs to triangulate a position. 

Again, YouTube is your friend. 

4 minutes ago, spanx said:

You have to be careful with VOR navigation. You don’t really navigate “to” a VOR in the same way as a Navaid or GPS fix, more you orient yourself on a radial to or from it. You really have to plan VOR flights carefully, often having to track two VORs to triangulate a position. 

Again, YouTube is your friend. 

Good advice. I’m on a holiday and spent most of my spare time watching flight sim videos! Hoping to be able to remember some of it when I get back to the game :)

One thing I found interesting today was that, when googling to find out info about British VOR stations, i found an article by the national air traffic service about how the UK network is basically getting reduced down to bare minimum as barely anyone uses it any more.