Microsoft Flight Simulator

tronied

I know other players here have been suggesting watching Squirrel’s training lessons, but they really are excellent - way better than anything included in the sim itself imo.

This one about stable flight really is central to everything I think, I’ve only been playing for a couple of days bur already I know way more about flying than I did at the beginning just watching his videos, 

2 hours ago, TehStu said:

I saw someone take off from a body of water in Scotland earlier and I realized I can go literally anywhere but generally lack the imagination.

So, if you encounter some real gems, please do share!

In real life you can get seaplane tours from loch Lomond that go out over the western isles. Do that, looks really nice in the game.

I think they take off from Duck Bay if you want to be ultra realistic haha.

Similarly, I'd recommend Lake Como (not been there in this yet but gorgeous place that also has seaplanes).

I've just started the absolutely basic tutorials and I realize the default sensitivity levels are going to give me RSI if I have to keep up the fine movements required. I went into the sensitivity options but it looks like mission control for the Apollo program. Does anyone have a screenshot or something of the settings needed to make the non-linear left stick a bit less awful? I don't mind really having to push the stick when I really want it to do something.

12 minutes ago, TehStu said:

I've just started the absolutely basic tutorials and I realize the default sensitivity levels are going to give me RSI if I have to keep up the fine movements required. I went into the sensitivity options but it looks like mission control for the Apollo program. Does anyone have a screenshot or something of the settings needed to make the non-linear left stick a bit less awful? I don't mind really having to push the stick when I really want it to do something.

The squirrel intro video shows this, but basically -50 on ever axis is a good place to start.

50 minutes ago, deerokus said:

I bought the little top rudder microlight thing. It's basically a kite with a chair and a motor attached, perfect for sightseeing!

It is amazing isn't it? 

My latest thing with it is cutting the engine and enjoying just the noise of the wind and creaking of the frame until it starts to fall out of the sky at which point rev it up again and repeat. That, and trying to land on building top helipads. 

I saw someone take off from a body of water in Scotland earlier and I realized I can go literally anywhere but generally lack the imagination.

So, if you encounter some real gems, please do share!

The discovery flight from Fort William sounds like the place to start!

The time of day and the clouds are wonderful and extremely convincing and make for a very authentic recreation of feh area.

I especially liked it as I found myself flying over one of my favourite ever mountain walks (Ring of Steall, the Mamores) as it is just over the valley from Ben Nevis and, after pootlong about a bit, ending up alongside one of my most terrifying walks - the Aonach Eagach on the north side of Glen Cloe which still looks terrifying even with the FS mesh smoothing off the most spiky bits.. 

It's a lovely part of the world to joyride a plane about in. 

16 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Is London a complete mess for anyone else?

ifNkbbW.jpg

CBBgQVu.jpg

Someone mentioned world updates?

I forgot to check.

I’m half way to Iceland at the moment. Sailing above the clouds chasing the sun down all the way.

finally figured out the autopilot…kinda. So I’m getting on with cleaning stuff up while I take in the view to check on how things are going.

A582A554-2CF1-4899-8DD4-4AB6630BEDED.thumb.jpeg.66366ab96bec97fbe95b95ae97d373e9.jpeg

Why on earth does this game have camera travel? Especially when you trying to select instruments in the cockpit. Is there anyway to turn it off so that when you stop moving the stick it stop moving the camera?

Damn I ran out of fuel.

Hearing the engine power down then a minute later beeeeddddeeep and a violent downward turn, spinning, whoosh whoosh, no control what so ever…..that was genuinely pretty scary if that’s was like an actual plane crash.

My main want is a proper photo mode - you know, like how Forza loads in better assets and post processing in photo mode - and a way to pause it immediately, rather than having to frantically try to pause while your plane does what it wants for a few seconds.

05097-BF6-4-BF6-48-AB-945-F-5419-B923422

I just took off from Cardiff, flew to the Millennium Stadium, and am now flying up the A470 to where I grew up. South Wales looks perfect. Doesn't matter about the exact minutiae, overall it's just so, so good.

Time to buzz my old childhood house.

26 minutes ago, TehStu said:

I just took off from Cardiff, flew to the Millennium Stadium, and am now flying up the A470 to where I grew up. South Wales looks perfect. Doesn't matter about the exact minutiae, overall it's just so, so good.

Time to buzz my old childhood house.

That's exactly what I'm going to do as soon as I load it up tomorrow and fly over my house. 

Where abouts are you originally from Stu? 

ED3A8BB0-4BD5-4966-A417-962CA9B3D95E.thumb.png.91ec8b21655c32255c83181326b597e4.png

I’m doing this from a phone, so hopefully it comes out OK.

These are the sensitivity settings I’ve settled on that provide a happy medium between allowing gentle movements without being too twitchy. Note that out of shot below is the setting for the RT too, which is obviously identical to the settings for LT. 

Right stick I’ve left as it is as I don’t have any issues with the camera panning sensitivity.

2 hours ago, tobert said:

Anyone know how to zoom into the instruments in the cockpit on Xbox? 

It’s all done by holding down LB and then:

- Left stick to pan and zoom around the cockpit

- RT and LT to move view up and down vertically

- Up and down on d-pad to cycle between various ‘pilot views’, one of which is a close-up of the instruments 

- B to save a custom cockpit view

- Y to immediately snap back and forth between your custom cockpit view and the default

1 hour ago, HarryBizzle said:

My main want is a proper photo mode - you know, like how Forza loads in better assets and post processing in photo mode - and a way to pause it immediately, rather than having to frantically try to pause while your plane does what it wants for a few seconds.

05097-BF6-4-BF6-48-AB-945-F-5419-B923422

Yeah I had this issue too until I mapped ‘Toggle Active Pause’ to the Y button. You have to burrow down in the control mapping options to be able to do it but it’s a game-changer and means you can time those screenshots perfectly by freezing everything with a simple press of one button.

Y defaults to ‘Toggle auto-pilot master’ but I remapped that to ‘RB + D-Pad Up’ as all the other auto-pilot shortcuts are activated by holding RB, so it made sense. 

Just a little north of Cardiff, up past Castell Coch. I followed the M4 east and was a little bummed to see the Severn Bridge is basically a causeway. But that's to be expected just from satellite data, probably tricky to understand the structure of a suspension bridge.

I noticed the same thing for the football stadium where I live now. It has the height data of the stand and the texture of seats but it literally doesn't have the stand. The Bing data for my area is about 3 years out of date maybe, the Trader Joe's by us is still being built in this. Doesn't matter, it's still detailed enough to know exactly where you are by air, even in the middle of nowhere.

Followed the suggestions from Squirrel's video and put piloting to Hard. That was a different game, even taking off was hard due to rough side wind.

Tried landing but unless doing a forward flip is considered OK I think I failed. 😁

I know this is almost certainly asking for the moon on a stick but just in case it’s not…

This is the perfect game for listening to podcasts while playing. However I prefer playing this with my Arctis 7x headphones on as it’s much more immersive. Is there any possible way that I could mix podcasts into the game audio?

24 minutes ago, SplashWaveUK said:

I know this is almost certainly asking for the moon on a stick but just in case it’s not…

This is the perfect game for listening to podcasts while playing. However I prefer playing this with my Arctis 7x headphones on as it’s much more immersive. Is there any possible way that I could mix podcasts into the game audio?

Use the Xbox Headset.

39 minutes ago, SplashWaveUK said:

The official Xbox headset will allow me to do that? Very very tempting if so. 

It allows you to connect your phone via Bluetooth at the same time as being connected to your Xbox, so you can take calls and also mix in music etc. Works really well :) 

52 minutes ago, SplashWaveUK said:

The official Xbox headset will allow me to do that? Very very tempting if so. 

What Dan said. 👍

You can also adjust the mix between external and game sound so one can be more in the background.

14 hours ago, spanx said:

Just made the mistake of reading YouTube comments for a video explaining the PC hot fix. What a hotbed of over entitled, superior cunts they are. Seriously, the fact this has come out on Xbox is a real problem for these weird, insecure morons. It’s “ruined” the sim apparently. 

Those people are tragic.

That said, there are fanboys in this very thread (and others) doing the same thing except it is 'my console is now better than yours' rather than the madness of a game apparently being ruined as it is now on another platform. Tiring, playground level fools the lot of them..

2 minutes ago, Mike S said:

Those people are tragic.

That said, there are fanboys in this very thread (and others) doing the same thing except it is 'my console is now better than yours' rather than the madness of a game being ruined as it is now on another platform. Tiring, playground level fools the lot of them..

It’s just such a weird mindset. Surely expanding the audience and making something more inclusive is a good thing. Asobo/MS may have made a misstep in some ways with the update but it’ll get fixed, and I have LOVED seeing all the Xbox owners here get to share the same experiences (both amazement and frustration) I’ve had over the last year. I can’t wait to get some group flights going.