Microsoft Flight Simulator

tronied

I’ve never played a flight sim before, but from seeing the screen grabs and videos in here I really want to give it a go. It looks amazing. My question is, do these kind of games usually have an easy mode? I honestly don’t think I’d have the time or skill to learn how to properly fly a plane, but if there’s a simplified control option, then I’ll be all over it.

If it comes to Series X, that is.

15 minutes ago, JPL said:

I’ve never played a flight sim before, but from seeing the screen grabs and videos in here I really want to give it a go. It looks amazing. My question is, do these kind of games usually have an easy mode? I honestly don’t think I’d have the time or skill to learn how to properly fly a plane, but if there’s a simplified control option, then I’ll be all over it.

uh, auto-pilot?

17 minutes ago, JPL said:

No idea Sean, I’ve never played one. Does that sort out take off and landing? I’m guessing that’s the trickiest part.

every pc flight sim I've ever played:

take off:

num keys 1-0 for throttle

F for flaps (toggle)

B for brakes (toggle)

pull back on the stick, and you're in the air.

G for landing Gear (toggle)

(do a barrel roll)

landing:

nose up, reduce airspeed

flaps

landing gear

and down, reduce speed, brakes, air brakes

(press G to see what'll happen)

Slide1.jpg

They released the specs, aside from the HDD space, that's incredibly scalable, I can see how it could work on current gen (for context the first alpha required 32GB RAM, and the second 16GB, which was still Series X level)

EDIT: VV I made sure my new PC had 32GB RAM just because I thought the alpha specs would be final.

13 hours ago, JPL said:

On most of the Flight Sims I've played, you can just pilot the thing with a joystick if you want to i.e. power and stick. I imagine the Xbox version of this will be tailored towards those simplified controls. It will only be the PC which caters to both extremes with a sliding scale in difficulty. They've already confirmed this and will try to cater to everyone.

@RubberJohnny I'm using Shadow as my main gaming PC and their choice of going for 14gb's RAM is really frustrating! I might have to bite the bullet before this gets released and buy a full-on gaming PC with the 32gb.

2 hours ago, Fletch said:

Still no one in the alpha has confirmed whether you can fly under the Severn Bridge. That's the burning question people. 

I wonder if you'll hit a big stretchy vertical texture trying to fly under any bridges, given the photogrammetry they're using to create the world.  

13 minutes ago, monkeydog said:

I wonder if you'll hit a big stretchy vertical texture trying to fly under any bridges, given the photogrammetry they're using to create the world.  

Only certain areas of the UK has photogrammetry unfortunately. One is Southampton and I forget the other one. For the rest of the world (without it), they're using satellite imagery and machine learning to make a "best guess" for buildings, structures and trees. It's not going to be perfect, but so far the results look quite impressive.

• 3 weeks later...

Shame there's those username watermarks over them. Will those be there in the final product?

Looking forward to playing this, but I'm still in two minds whether I should get it on Xbox One or PC...

Can you play it with a steering wheel? :lol: Seriously though, the pedals could be used for the rudder, wheel for rolling and my sequential gear stick for pulling up/down. :sherlock:

@Meerman The watermarks are there to prevent anyone under NDA publishing a screenshot which isn't known about by Asobo. Given it's still in Alpha, they want to control what is shown when things are still in their early form. I've no doubt this will be gone once it's released.

Playing with a steering wheel is not too far out of left field. Given most modern flight sticks look like this:

depositphotos_224487294-stock-video-man-

The only thing you're missing is pushing back and forwards. Controlling that with the throttle would be interesting though ;) 

2 minutes ago, tronied said:

Playing with a steering wheel is not too far out of left field.

The only thing you're missing is pushing back and forwards. Controlling that with the throttle would be interesting though ;) 

I'm thinking steering wheel for roll, clutch and throttle for pitch and the shifter paddles for yaw. :D

Should work, though a bit 'interesting' as you say. Otherwise I'll just get a Hori stick.

On 09/05/2020 at 19:47, tronied said:

Another update (although I'm a bit late on this one - was posted on the 7th). Firstly a couple of videos - The first one looks you would be dropping some bricks if you were in that plane! No thanks to the flying:

And several nice new shots:

Desktop-Screenshot-2020.05.07-19.08.23.6

Flightsim_104-1.jpg

Screen-Shot-05-07-20-at-09.37-PM.jpg

Screen-Shot-05-06-20-at-12.42-PM-004.jpg

Lake-Lucerne-scaled.jpg

Desktop-Screenshot-2020.04.04-15.30.10.3

Flightsim_100-1.jpg

Flightsim_90.jpg

This really is looking better and better with each passing month.

Fantastic. Can you make a video of low altitude flying over a city?

The cloud generation they've come up with is gob smacking. I'm so happy they've put so much money into bringing this back properly.

It does still look like Flight Unlimited though, am I right?;) Still can't beat that game for the initial 'blow your socks off' visuals!

@Stevie Unfortunately I am not part of the Alpha... but even if I was, I couldn't share anything that was not pre-approved by Asobo / Microsoft due to the NDA. We just have to make do with what they show us at the moment :(

Saying that, there was a video posted last year which shows 9 cities with some low flying included. Well worth a look if you haven't seen it (skip to 10:19 for some low level UK action):

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...