Microsoft Flight Simulator

tronied

2 hours ago, SplashWaveUK said:

When I search for an airport in the world map, it doesn’t seem to want to go into the history for ease of searching later? Anyone else having the same problem? 

Same!

4 hours ago, SeanR said:

Downloading on my XSS now

with all the talk of “next-gen” I honestly thought it was XSX only… :facepalm:

[edit]

says it’ll take 3hrs…

Why do you think the Series S isn't next-gen?

7 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

Why do you think the Series S isn't next-gen?

It’s smaller than my xb1x?

I dunno, perception?

anyhoo… something something something collision detection something bridges?

Finally got to do my planned "first" flight tonight. Took off from SeaTac and headed north until I found an interstate and soon enough downtown Seattle popped into view

3ad365a7-39ff-41f0-bcaa-37dbfc104ecb.thumb.png.02740900065e03de5fc6399e28f2d388.png

The detail is extraordinary on cities that are given the hand crafted treatment. Screenshots, even 15mb whoppers that the Xbox app kicks out, just don't do it justice.

Anyway, switch to the municipal airport on the south side of where I live. It's dusk here and the game reckons there's stars out (nope, a haze from forest fires, but that's not weather so we'll forgive it). But it's dark and Bing generated buildings just aren't the same. Followed the river throw the city when I spot the hospital by a bridge I know, then some others and we're coming on gas now. I mean, if you can follow roads at night on game based on Bing maps, someone is doing something right. So I accidentally fly over my mother in law's house, past where I work (daughter is watching now because it's getting exciting), onto the interstate until I spot my exit ramp and... here's a funny thing. I've lived near a big quarry for a decade but I've only seen the edge, never down into it. Well, now I have! Then we swerve left at a roundabout and we're following the road to our house. Couldn't see anything because it's completely dark out by now.

But yeah, just bonkers. Anyway, need to start actually doing training now.

I’ve done the basic and take off/landing  training and already it’s made a big difference to my understanding of how to fly, for example I didn’t really know about ‘attitude’ or how to use trim. It’s definitely worth getting the instrument dials on the screen as per Squirrel’s advice in his first take off video because I find some of them difficult to read at times in the cockpit view with everything else you have to think about. 

I am still mesmerised every time I load it up, it’s just bonkers. 

I started the training last night with my HOTAS plugged in for the first time - it autodetected and I just left it on default settings.

It's not very slick in terms of the on screen messaging and button mapping, a lot of the in cockpit camera stuff doesn't appear to be doable on the flight stick and sometimes it says to press a button which just doesn't work - I even got stuck on the first training bit as couldn't get back to the view it said I needed to pass as both controller and flight stick buttons didn't work.

Once in the air the joystick is a much nicer control method, not essential for casual play but does add something, but I did need the pad turned on next to me for menus and some in game control (like moving the camera round in external view).

It is a bit immersion breaking when you fly over somewhere that you know   and it looks nothing like real life. As an example, I flew over Liverpool earlier and there are three buildings that are correct. These are the two football stadiums and the liver building. William Brown Street (the street with St Georges Hall and the museums and one of the finest collection of neoclassical buildings in the country) was very strange. It just looks a bit off when the whole of the waterfront is wrong except for the one building, it sort of makes it worse. 

Does anyone know if they plan on allowing the user made mods on the Xbox version or will it be just the official updates?

Apart from that it’s great though. 

34 minutes ago, Gotters said:

I started the training last night with my HOTAS plugged in for the first time - it autodetected and I just left it on default settings.

It's not very slick in terms of the on screen messaging and button mapping, a lot of the in cockpit camera stuff doesn't appear to be doable on the flight stick and sometimes it says to press a button which just doesn't work - I even got stuck on the first training bit as couldn't get back to the view it said I needed to pass as both controller and flight stick buttons didn't work.

Once in the air the joystick is a much nicer control method, not essential for casual play but does add something, but I did need the pad turned on next to me for menus and some in game control (like moving the camera round in external view).

There is a known issue with Thrustmaster HOTAS One controller mapping, in that some of the buttons don’t match what the text says in the game. If you want to remap controls, this makes it difficult as you have to not believe what’s on the screen in front of you when assigning buttons!

A fix is apparently in progress, so I doubt it will be long before everything shows correctly. In the meantime, here are the default mappings which will hopefully help you in the tutorials - just press the button that corresponds to what they’re actually asking you to activate in the game, rather than the button the screen text is telling you to press!

4FB03270-D255-4CE6-9795-5DEB6A668A42.jpeg

This is just a serene experience. I played this for a few hours yesterday taking flights over former places of residence in England, Denmark, Norway, Germany and France as well as places I've visited on holidays and business trips. 

I was a bit surprised how much of Europe I've visited and kinda know well but even more surprising was how well I knew places I've never actually been to, like New York City for instance.

Flying over NYC I knew where to navigate to find the statue of liberty, Empire State building, 5th Avenue, Times Square, Battery Park, Ground Zero etc, it's like I'd been there many times before but everything I know about the city is from films and Google Earth when that was a new thing.

One of my kids was watching me when I was flying over NYC and he asked where Brooklyn was and without thinking about it I turned my plane around about 110 degrees and headed straight for it which kind of surprised me, mostly in a "how small the world has become" kind of way. 

1 minute ago, carlospie said:

How do you navigate to your house please?

You can set anywhere in the world map as an arrival destination, doesn’t have to be an airport. You’ll then get a mark to that destination on your screen.

I've decided to get an S for this. There's nothing else I want to play on the Xbox, no interest in GP, so it's better to spend £250 for one game than £450. If it blows me away that much, I'll hopefully get an X in time for FH5. Looking on eBay, I will be able to flog the S for £200+ if I get bored. 

It's completely fucked for me on pc.  I reinstalled it over the last couple of days as I rebuilt my pc a while back and I hadn't got round to reinstalling the xbox app.  The game didn't seem to be picking up the pre-installed content so I had to do a full deletion and re-download everything.  I downloaded the new patch last night, but now the game either crashes on start-up or in the menus while I'm trying to download the world updates.  Not good.

14 hours ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Didn’t work for me either, can’t believe that in this of all games you can’t invert the camera. Just can’t adjust to it at all. 

I don't know if it's a bug, or just unclear in its labelling, but the external camera seems to work if you set it to the opposite of what you would think you want it to be.

So, I like inverted controls - I set the internal camera to 'push up to look down, pull back to look up'. If I set the external camera to the opposite, 'push up to look up, pull back to look down', that works how I'd expect it to.

I reinstalled this last night on PC - downloaded relatively quickly, all the content packs went on smoothly, and it was a noticeably smoother experience graphically than the last time I played it.    Flew around southern Italy admiring the scenery.  Very chill.

I'll try flying in VR again if I get a chance.  I found that to be a bit broken when it first came out...

The trees thing is interesting. I traced out my old commute home last night, and central London is incredibly accurate, even out to Zone 2. I went through Greenwich and Deptford which looked pretty spot on, and pretty much as soon as I went over Lewisham Way into the suburbs, it reverted to the generic, satellite data / AI landscape, and the number of trees quadrupled. Everyone in South London seems to have 3-4 50 foot pine trees in their back gardens, which I can confirm is not accurate.

Similarly, I was over the north coast of Cornwall, and there seemed to be big clusters of trees right on the coastline, which seemed wrong.

Can someone explain to an idiot (i.e. me) how this works? I thought it streamed from an existing map like Google Earth, and worked some kind of magic to render the images, but that wouldn't account for loads of algorithmically generated map stuff.

3 minutes ago, K said:

The trees thing is interesting.

Last night as I flew along the coastline of Naples and there were some big cruise ship moored up in the bay.  One of them had a big bushy tree on it! :blink2:

3 minutes ago, Lochenvar said:

I don't know if it's a bug, or just unclear in it's labelling, but the external camera seems to work if you set it to the opposite of what you would think you want it to be.

So, I like inverted controls - I set the internal camera to 'push up to look down, pull back to look up'. If I set the external camera to the opposite, 'push up to look up, pull back to look down', that works how I'd expect it to.

Thank you, I'll try that in a sec.

Flew over the Malvern Hills at sunset last night which looked spectacular, even the way the town below is in shadow from the hills looked absolutely spot on. Very good detail on the hills. Flew north to Birmingham, good detail over areas like the lakes in Earlswood, flew down the Stratford Road from Solihull, over Land Rover factory, through Shirley, Sparkhill and into Birmingham - Birmingham itself hasn't been modelled and looks rough, Rotunda especially was disappointing. Selfridge's building is there but not shiny. As it got dark though and the city lights started to come on - pure magic. Did a few loops and ended up flying down through the Cotswolds and landing in Kemble airport just outside Cirencester. Amazing really.

8 minutes ago, GamesGamesGames said:

Can someone explain to an idiot (i.e. me) how this works? I thought it streamed from an existing map like Google Earth, and worked some kind of magic to render the images, but that wouldn't account for loads of algorithmically generated map stuff.

It uses Bing maps to plot all the terrain and roads and points of interest.  But then it uses AI to add 3d models and features to what the map is hinting is there.  If the game sees the map photo has a lot of green it may assume that is a wood, rather than a field, and it will then add in the tree models...

It has rules on terrain, biome, etc on what sort of tree to add.  So you get pines at the foot of mountains in USA, and bushy trees in leafy Surrey.  Same idea with houses, it know where they should go and then generates an approximately correct generic-house for each plot - with a region specific palette.  So a house in Italy has a red tile roof, while a house in Greece is all white.  Etc etc

8 minutes ago, Valver said:

Last night as I flew along the coastline of Naples and there were some big cruise ship moored up in the bay.  One of them had a big bushy tree on it! :blink2:

There have been a lot of delays to shipping over the past 18 months. 

2 hours ago, Stanley said:

I’ve done the basic and take off/landing  training and already it’s made a big difference to my understanding of how to fly, for example I didn’t really know about ‘attitude’ or how to use trim.

I did the training and I'm still not sure I understand trim. Eventually the game just went "Yeah, yeah, that'll do" and moved me on.

Decided to fly over a thunderstorm at sunset in Italy. I was not disappointed.

fly.png

I then decided to fly through the clouds. Bad idea. I didn't see the mountain that I hit at 400 knots.

One thing I have noticed is that the Bing maps are quite old compared to the ones Google maps uses. The place I work doesn't show up and this building have been here since 2013, but in Bing Maps it is just a grassy field so the data must be 10 years old or so.

6 minutes ago, koefoed said:

One thing I have noticed is that the Bing maps are quite old compared to the ones Google maps uses. The place I work doesn't show up and this building have been here since 2013, but in Bing Maps it is just a grassy field so the data must be 10 years old or so.

Depends where you are. In my area Bing is much newer than googles. It's also much higher quality and lets you zoom in much further.  Example:Untitled.png

Bing is top.

9 hours ago, SeanR said:

It’s smaller than my xb1x?

I dunno, perception?

anyhoo… something something something collision detection something bridges?

why do you think it has to open? It's because of the invisible forcefield. everyone knows that.

1 hour ago, Quest said:

I did the training and I'm still not sure I understand trim. Eventually the game just went "Yeah, yeah, that'll do" and moved me on.

It’s setting the angle of the nose to keep your altitude level and is fucking tricky to get right. It’s supposed to stop you constantly climbing or falling without you having to actually hold the plane steady all the time. It’s not an exact science.