Microsoft Flight Simulator

tronied

Well I found my house easily enough, but overshot the crash landing and ended up upside down in a field across the road. It’s very green where I live.

1 minute ago, Gotters said:

Real pilots don’t get to invert the controls because their minds are too feeble to handle using them correctly.

I don't think anyone in real life can invert headlook.

Except maybe owls.

I haven't played much on PC, but on my Xbox I'm doing the training and this Cessna is always drifting slightly to the right when loading into a game.

Buggered if I’m posting on resetera, but for the newbies, this is modelling a feature of propellor planes at low speed when changing altitude:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P-factor

Your controller isn’t broken.

Managed to have an hour or so pootling around the local area, but the only way I managed to get into the game was disabling the internet connection to my Xbox.

Not the best first impression but understandable I guess. Don’t want to spoil my first impressions any further and so I’m going to download the World Updates while I’m working tomorrow and have another go after work then. 

Hopefully MS won’t be getting hammered quite so badly.

Managed to download the update and get into the game. Just had the message about the game being offline but it has not stopped me playing the game.

Naples discovery flight first off and my jaw literally dropped. It looks stunning (Series X).  Never seen anything like it. Controlling the plane was more user friendly than I was expecting. The music too is proper relaxing! Can see me losing hours on this. 

2 hours ago, Stanley said:

It’s been available to download for weeks, this is a mandatory update, and now everyone trying to launch the game worldwide is downloading it.

I'm sure my point still stands. 

1 minute ago, djbhammer said:

Use left stick to move a circle over the part of the screen you want.

Thanks. I’ll try again but it seems to have synced with my PC save and is expected me to have a mouse and keyboard to navigate. 

Is there not some kind of free camera where you can pause your plane and fly the camera around instead?

I think I have seen videos of people doing that on PC but I can not find any way of pausing the plane completely and no way to engage the free look camera.

12 minutes ago, koefoed said:

Is there not some kind of free camera where you can pause your plane and fly the camera around instead?

I think I have seen videos of people doing that on PC but I can not find any way of pausing the plane completely and no way to engage the free look camera.

Yes, you need to engage Active Pause and then bring up the in flight control menu at the top of the screen (I push the mouse up to the top of the screen on PC - no idea how it is done on Xbox). There is a camera icon and clicking that will bring up various options including a free look (under Showcase IIRC).

7 minutes ago, SplashWaveUK said:

Are you clicking the left stick in? That brings it up for me. 

Nope. It’s a PC sync issue. For anyone else having problems, if you had the PC version, you need to set your controller to default for it to work properly on Xbox. You can do this by plugging a mouse in, or changing it to default in the PC version and syncing it. You cannot do it with your controller on the Xbox because you can’t get there. Because they got the PES team to do the console menu system. 

4 minutes ago, deerokus said:

This is the kind of nonsense the multiplayer supports. 

Seems like a laugh. 

Oddly enough, i visited that island the other day after seeing it sticking up in the distance when looking for nice water masked islands (there is one about 20 miles away which is great, complete with cruise ships in the bay but I can;t remember it's name). I don't think I landed here, just did my usual fly around...

We haven't done any world updates yet, but I don't think my area would be included, anyway.

Took off from the little runway south of town and though my son is all over the place, I spotted the mall and quarry, and managed to pick out some key roads to figure out roughly where we live. Even if trees obscure my house, which would be physically correct seen from above, it's totally cool. Even to get this sort of detail is bonkers. Normally, you'd just have generic town textures for anything outside major cities.

8 minutes ago, Pockets said:

Nope. It’s a PC sync issue. For anyone else having problems, if you had the PC version, you need to set your controller to default for it to work properly on Xbox. You can do this by plugging a mouse in, or changing it to default in the PC version and syncing it. You cannot do it with your controller on the Xbox because you can’t get there. Because they got the PES team to do the console menu system. 

It may not have come up during testing between such disparate systems that share data. Might be worth submitting it somewhere.

Jumped in the discover flight over New York. Whoah the update is real, getting 50+ FPS in native 4K flying over Manhattan, where it used to drop sub 30. At 90% scaling hitting 60FPS

I am very happy. 

I managed to find my house surprisingly easily and it looks surprisingly accurate, even without the world update, although it’s a Victorian terrace, so pretty standard for south London and easily covered by generic housing.

It’s very easy to lose your bearings. I thought I’d be able to navigate fairly easily round London given that I am a map nerd and love scooting round on Apple Maps / Google Earth, but can quickly go from knowing exactly which road I’m on to being totally lost. Even in a Cessna, you’re going extremely quickly by normal standards. 

47 minutes ago, Pockets said:

Don't know if this solved it for you, but I'm still finding the controller will now work on certain menus, but other menus will still default to expecting a mouse input even with the mouse USB receiver unplugged...

Ignore this... Just figured out that I had to delete the controller profile binding for it to finally work! 

Setting up the flightstick at some point tomorrow I think. Need to plan a flight... Thinking a flight over Egypt to see the Pyramids 

24 minutes ago, spanx said:

Jumped in the discover flight over New York. Whoah the update is real, getting 50+ FPS in native 4K flying over Manhattan, where it used to drop sub 30. At 90% scaling hitting 60FPS

I am very happy. 

That is very encouraging news.

I gave up on the update as the servers have crawled to a near standstill but, hopefully, will get it installed tomorrow and try for one of my Midtown skyscraper trench runs to see if I can get above 20-25fps. 

First impressions, bloody hell if this is what it’s like after they spent all that time simplifying it for us console peons the PC version would probably give me a nose bleed.

Flew around my town for a bit and got bored. Went to Blackpool to have a look at the tower but couldn’t see it despite the fair being there and I know it’s not that far from it IRL. Then did a 9/11 into the side of Mount Everest. Realised that the game is one of those things I really admire exists but have to admit is not for me.

Is there a way you can just turn yourself into free controlling hovering disembodied camera in the sky if you just want to mooch around sightseeing without any of that actual flying gubbins (yes, I realise that’s the entire point of the thing).

Not sure if I have messed with a setting but I can't seem to pause the game and still look at the world (photo mode) . 

Also tried to invert looking around and gave up. So many menus! 

It's relaxing just flying around but I feel if. I'm going to get the most out of it I need to learn the deeper options. And that will be a bona-fide nightmare. I was in cockpit view and realised I need to use this clunky courser to interact with tye hundreds of buttons. 

This game needs a keyboard and bouse if you want to take it seriously. Or an actual flight deck. 

2 hours ago, Talk Show Host said:

Do I have to do anything special to make the controller circle thing appear?  Can’t seem to be able to navigate through the some menus at all. 🙄

I had this same issue. It looks like the game had synced the control presets that I'd been using on the PC version in the past. I plugged a mouse into the Xbox and deleted my old control presets. It now works just fine.

You can unplug the mouse once you're done.