Microsoft Flight Simulator

Nice neg(s), stay classy.

I have no appetite for playing a straight flight sim, no matter how pretty. Sorry about that. On the other hand, I’d be totally up for it if there were objectives, goals, some sort of structure. 

Edit: to reflect the plurality of the negs.

Fairly sure sims have always had missions or scenarios and stuff, so the entire premise is invalid.

Amazing that sims existed for decades in videogaming happily but gamers have gotten steadily so much more reactionary and gatekeepy that now we have to pretend they're "not proper gaming" else they feel threatened.

I’m not sure i understand why the premise is invalid? Fair enough though, I’m sure I’ll enjoy the missions at least.

I don’t get your second point either really. I don’t enjoy straight flight sims, never have since I started gaming in the mid 80’s. Apologies if my post was misconstrued to mean that sims weren’t ‘proper gaming’ somehow, that wasn’t my intention. They’re just not for me, with regard to flight sims anyway.

Personally I'd give it a miss if you don't enjoy straight flight sims. The 'missions' are (or have been) simply preplanned flights. One of them in FSX was literally taking off from a farm and landing somewhere else which I get the impression isn't what you're looking for. There were some third party add-ons for FSX that let you simulate running an airline similar to Euro Truck Simulator so maybe in future you might get something like that. 

Thanks for the answer dude, there are some very sensitive folks here who perhaps don’t know the answers to what I’m asking, Actually, what you’ve described sounds good to me. Are the ‘missions’ graded in the previous games or are they straight pass / fail?

I'm trying to remember I think you just got a box saying Success or something along those lines. I can't recall any grading as such. To be honest they were more extended tutorials. They formed part of the Tutorial menu and you gradually went from the basics into those missions. I mean seeing as this new one is coming to Xbox as well they may stick something in there to attract the more casual (no offense intended to anyone) crowd. 

Went back and played Flight Sim 98 (in Virtual PC on my Emac of all things) but... without the supercool psychological experience of holding my mates giant joystick perfectly still (hmmm) the flight model doesn't really conform to for instance, a paper areoplane thrown past a radiator. If you ever get bored, try doing this with your mates as a contest and learn some thermodynamic physics things, or possibly don't if that sounds like boring shit. Well, I did like all the very complex panel and procedure information the FS98 comes with, but without the giant joystick I couldn't get very far before the illusion broke. Impressed myself however, that I managed not to stall these planes with qwerty keyboard control. Hmmm, well I was supposed to be in the Red Arrows originally (after bombing some random people).

I “played” fsx religiously and before that 98 years ago or so but I’m a massive aviation geek. Had a throttle and joystick combo and dipped my toe into the rabbit hole of add ons a with some of the pmdg and aerosoft planes Rex weather etc. I’m now pc less and can’t imagine how this would work on a console to be honest but it looks so beautiful. I’m certainly interested to see how this pans out at least. 

For what it’s worth I never touched any of the “missions” and would happily fly from a to b or sometimes just a to a and fly circuits. Normally after spending half an hour planning routes and programming the flight management computers! Happy days. 

3 minutes ago, Bangaio said:

I “played” fsx religiously and before that 98 years ago or so but I’m a massive aviation geek. Had a throttle and joystick combo and dipped my toe into the rabbit hole of add ons a with some of the pmdg and aerosoft planes Rex weather etc. I’m now pc less and can’t imagine how this would work on a console to be honest but it looks so beautiful. I’m certainly interested to see how this pans out at least. 

For what it’s worth I never touched any of the “missions” and would happily fly from a to b or sometimes just a to a and fly circuits. Normally after spending half an hour planning routes and programming the flight management computers! Happy days. 

Microsoft had the Fast Show sketch that mocks Flight Sim 98 removed, for supposed copyright reasons I guess? Well that's really quite an ignorant thing to do, since the audience understand this as nerdcore irony and thought it awesome, not a pisstake. Argh... the vanity of old bald men.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a mouse and keyboard that will work with the xbox?

I do have a laptop that may be able to run this but would like it on my xbox and I can only assume that a keyboard will be required. I also have a hotas that I need to try that to see if it's compatible. 

Cheers 

18 hours ago, the_debaser said:

Be pretty cool to play the flight you’re about to take while on the flight. 

you know what you can do before you get a port of this to switch, you can turn that sumbitch sideways, and stick it straight up your candy ass!!!!! :P

• 4 weeks later...

Is this the best looking game of all time? Looking at that last video.... yes, yes it is! :o It's incredible what they're achieving here.

I'm glad they've limited it to the 50 closest planes in multiplayer though. I can imagine you'd end up getting thousands congregating around particular airports and so it would be lag city. I don't think many people have more than 50 friends to fly with at any one time anyway. 

Forest.jpeg

Imnottelling-scaled.jpeg

Mountains-scaled.jpeg

River-1.jpeg

Sad-Hill.jpeg

[EDIT] Above - Any Good, Bad and The Ugly fans? ;)

Sun.png

Fixedwing.jpeg

This really does look to be a staggering technological achievement.

I'm going to do a circuit from Wem, over Buxton, fly over of Woodford, then straight towards Snowdon before returning to Wem via Bala. Mostly as a friend who has a PPL took me up in a Piper Club they rent from the local flying club and we did that same circuit.

Can't wait.

2 hours ago, Mike S said:

This really does look to be a staggering technological achievement.

I'm going to do a circuit from Wem, over Buxton, fly over of Woodford, then straight towards Snowdon before returning to Wem via Bala. Mostly as a friend who has a PPL took me up in a Piper Club they rent from the local flying club and we did that same circuit.

Can't wait.

Wem? 

Ah right get you now (I live near Buxton so was just wondering if it was close and I had not heard of it :facepalm:)

9 minutes ago, Parappa said:

Wem? 

Ah right get you now (I live near Buxton so was just wondering if it was close and I had not heard of it :facepalm:)

Close as the (metal) crow flies as it was only fifteen minutes by little plane from Wem to Buxton IIRC.

Buxton is a fine town BTW,