Microsoft Flight Simulator

tronied

I'm wondering whether to check I actually like this before buying a Thrustmaster stick. But if I don't buy one beforehand, will I be able to judge the game properly just using a joypad? WHAT A DILEMMA.

3 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

I'm wondering whether to check I actually like this before buying a Thrustmaster stick. But if I don't buy one beforehand, will I be able to judge the game properly just using a joypad? WHAT A DILEMMA.

My logic was the stick was utterly essential and they'd all be sold out next week so despite never playing a flight sim before I got one.

I can then hate it or bounce off it for the right reasons. 

4 minutes ago, Gotters said:

My logic was the stick was utterly essential and they'd all be sold out next week so despite never playing a flight sim before I got one.

I can then hate it or bounce off it for the right reasons. 

I get that logic! Hmmm.

Just now, Eighthours said:

I get that logic! Hmmm.

If you play it and don't like it on a pad you'll always wonder about the stick, but won't be able to get one then, so know it's your own fault you've ruined the first properly next gen gaming experience in existence cos you were too mean to fork out £80.

It's almost daft not to buy one.

12 minutes ago, Gotters said:

If you play it and don't like it on a pad you'll always wonder about the stick, but won't be able to get one then, so know it's your own fault you've ruined the first properly next gen gaming experience in existence cos you were too mean to fork out £80.

It's almost daft not to buy one.

I have just bought one. 😅 (EDIT: Oh! I'll also be able to play Elite Dangerous with it.)

I'm interested in jumping in to this soon.

How is it playing without a dedicated set up (e.g. just keyboard/mouse)?

(Also on a completely unrelated note, I remember back around 95 Stepdad had a PC Gaming wheel that bolted to the desk and you connected the mouse - - the was 

using the mouse ball to track the wheels movement.  One of those odd bits of gaming peripherals lost to the ages!)

16 minutes ago, TomatoConvenienceStore said:

I'm interested in jumping in to this soon.

How is it playing without a dedicated set up (e.g. just keyboard/mouse)?

(Also on a completely unrelated note, I remember back around 95 Stepdad had a PC Gaming wheel that bolted to the desk and you connected the mouse - - the was 

using the mouse ball to track the wheels movement.  One of those odd bits of gaming peripherals lost to the ages!)

I'd recommend a pad over a keyboard and mouse if possible.

A pad will be a more than adequate way of playing the game as it is really only the very dedicated, hours and hours per day/week, simmers that need a stick/throttle/pedals/etc. Certainly for my casual joy riding of an hour or so a week I have never felt I need for the additional clutter (and expense) of a full set up. YMMV of course, subject to how hard you get into it..

My son is going to want to fly over where we live, I hope that isn't disappointing. Luckily we have a pokey little airport here so I may be able to follow the roads to our house :lol:

I'm going straight to Washington state, take off from SeaTac and go sight seeing around Mount Rainier.  

I do wonder how this is going to cope on launch as the Azure servers which help stream the environments are going to get hammered like never before.

If the servers are under heavy load or down I don't know how much planet you get for your 100gb+ install locally

12 minutes ago, TehStu said:

Oh, that's quite a bit more detail. How much data does this use? I didn't even know asset streaming was a thing.

I suspect quite a bit, does something clever with realtime weather too I think.

20 minutes ago, TehStu said:

Oh, that's quite a bit more detail. How much data does this use? I didn't even know asset streaming was a thing.

About 1GB an hour, the whole world is something like 2,000 TB, so they had to do it this way.

24 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

About 1GB an hour, the whole world is something like 2,000 TB, so they had to do it this way.

Oh that's not too bad then, on par with watching a HD film or something.

3 hours ago, Stanley said:

Yeah that’s the one, at least for now, it’s not suited to playing on your lap imo, a coffee table or something like that is fine - we have a little nest of tables and I use one of those. 

How long is the wire? 

Also on another note, there's no point keeping the offline add on if I'm online all the time is there? Like, will it help things in anyway? Just seems daft to have a 57gb add on never getting used. 

Oh. Turns out the main game is 42gb and the offline game is 57gb

You don't need both. 

Taken from a post on era. 

Flight Simulator supports the optional chunks feature which allows you to install/uninstall parts of the game. The metadata describing these chunks didn't propagate simultaneously with the pre-load, so the initial displayed chunk was "everything" at ~97GB; this has now been fixed and the optional chunk is showing correctly. You can manage the installation in the Manage section of the UX accessible either by selecting "Manage" instead of "Install" or through the context menu once installed.

In Flight Simulator's case, the optional chunk is a ~59GB offline world chunk that is only required for offline play. Whilst online, this data is not used and the game instead streams in additional data that is cached locally (also visible and manageable in the Manage UX under "Saved Data").
A lot of people put in a lot of work to get all these features working and it's nice to see them being utilized by a showcase experience.

16 hours ago, Marlew said:

I will need a Series X pretty soon. Missed a few stock notifications by seconds but I'll keep plugging away. 

Are you using Twitter for these alerts? If so, which ones are you following?

My cousins after one but I haven’t had much luck so far.

12 minutes ago, Indy @ S.E. said:

Are you using Twitter for these alerts? If so, which ones are you following?

My cousins after one but I haven’t had much luck so far.

Spoiler

Sorry it shares an entire series of posts, but that's the one. Once I figured out push notification settings, it's worked great. You need to be on it immediately, though. Seen some people get lucky but within a minute, they're gone. 

I managed to get one from this site earlier on the week (although I should say it hasn’t actually arrived yet, so could all be in vain):

https://www.stockinformer.co.uk/checker-xbox-series-x

You have to be very quick on the notification, but what I’ve noticed is that consoles seem to become available in dribs and drabs, so if you miss the original notification, some more might come in the next few minutes.