Microsoft Flight Simulator

I’ve found a few good YouTube vids but are there any written guides on how autopilot works, all this terminology (VOR, ILS, etc) and how you should use it?

17 hours ago, Malc said:

Are people making mods for this yet? My dad's a fan of the old war planes like the Spitfire, but plays IL2 Sturmovik which looks a bit shit these days compared to MS Flight simulator. Might be able to get him playing this if there's the option of flying a Spitfire. 

Microsoft does not do combat that much...  there are more modern sims that do tho.

eg https://store.steampowered.com/app/411920/DCS_Spitfire_LF_Mk_IX/

The more modern versions of IL-2 (Battle of Stalingrad and then various expansions, expensive at RRP but quite often on sale) is really good - graphics of course not as fancy as this but really nice flight feeling and good AI. Also it's VR compatible.

I've a newfound respect for the MS Flight Sim flight model after doing some landing challenges, fine enough getting little aircraft into regular airfields but combining smooth landings with accurate placement for jets is a struggle right now. And the landing challenge in Nepal is hilarious - buffeted by winds, glass icing over and a tiny strip with a stone wall catching anyone that comes up short, plus it's obscured by cloud until you're damn close.

Anybody want to be 'friends' to compare scores? Or is just an xbox thing? I'm "milkymilko" and all alone.

32 minutes ago, milko said:

The more modern versions of IL-2 (Battle of Stalingrad and then various expansions, expensive at RRP but quite often on sale) is really good - graphics of course not as fancy as this but really nice flight feeling and good AI. Also it's VR compatible.

I've a newfound respect for the MS Flight Sim flight model after doing some landing challenges, fine enough getting little aircraft into regular airfields but combining smooth landings with accurate placement for jets is a struggle right now. And the landing challenge in Nepal is hilarious - buffeted by winds, glass icing over and a tiny strip with a stone wall catching anyone that comes up short, plus it's obscured by cloud until you're damn close.

Anybody want to be 'friends' to compare scores? Or is just an xbox thing? I'm "milkymilko" and all alone.

Yeah up for that. Mixing in some challenges with relaxing flights breaks it up a bit.

We should do some unaided time trials from airport to airport as some kinds of forum challenge 

3 hours ago, Flub said:

Doesn't need combat for me. I'd just love to fly loads of old planes.

I suspect there's not the market and the scenery would be too hard to do realistically at ground level but you bring up the fine point that it'd be lovely if there was a "Microsoft Driving Simulator".  It's not Forza, that's about racing.  Imagine Horizon without the racing but with proper sim physics and a massive, massive map.  You'd just go.

I guess you'd need MS to do street view from the start again but with laser scanning 3d photos.

I don’t understand autopilot at all. Just tried several times to set it up and every time I turn it on it charges me straight in to the ground. Very confused

7 hours ago, spanx said:

I’ve found a few good YouTube vids but are there any written guides on how autopilot works, all this terminology (VOR, ILS, etc) and how you should use it?

VOR and ILS aren’t autopilot specific they are both different aids for instrument flying. Both are radio frequencies gig can tune in to. VOR are radio beacons that you can to and from and have radials like spokes on a wheel. ILS is for landing and the radio signal has a vertical and horizontal cross. Your instruments show your deviation from that cross. An airline autopilot can fly to VORs and fly along an ILS once you have intercepted it but only when programmed into the flight management computer. 

The airliners have a panel where you can set flight levels speed heading etc and engage it to get to and hold those settings. I have head the current autopilot is a bit broken in some aspects particularly speed holds. 

if you’re flying a general aviation aircraft don’t even worry about autopilot and fly it how it’s meant to be flown, trimmed nicely and either visually or on instruments. 

Just taken off from Culdrose down in Cornwall and have my autopilot gently steering me along the coast to Exeter. The sunset I guess is realtime and looks AMAZING. And as the light drops all the lights are coming on. It’s genuinely beautiful.

I’m going to try an ILS landing, just for the hell of it

Just did my first ATC cleared landing, brought in by autopilot. Don’t quite get all the gliding angle stuff yet, but was able to tune in to the runway ILS thing and configure the flight path, and keep the speed/altitude managed by the autopilot. Felt really satisfying, understanding all of the course headings, navigating around the Garmin thingy.

My laptop REALLY struggled with Exeter airport though, got very unresponsive frame rates. Shame, it’s smooth as silk in flight.

8 hours ago, Flub said:

I remember mine did a hell of a lot of decompressing at the 89gig mark.

It crashed. I then restarted it and it tried a 3.8 something GB download. Couldn't even start it. According to the support pages, this seems to be a known bug. I will give it another try though - and at the end of the day, it's on Gamepass, so not that bad if it doesn't run.

On 20/08/2020 at 15:38, Graham S said:

Maybe it belongs in another thread, but I'm interested in this ShadowPC thing, just to stream this game, as I'm on MacOS. What's involved in getting it set up and getting the game up and running? I suppose I just need a month of ShadowPC and a month of Game Pass.

Were you able to get this running? I'm in the same boat and have a strong urge to play this.

If not, are we expecting it to ever be available for Mac OS?