IGNORED

Microsoft Flight Simulator

tronied

I had a lovely little fly from Tokyo Haneda, along the coast past Yokohama, Yokosuka and Enoshima towards Fuji 

And I figured out how to actually end a session properly and get it in your logbook, rather than just quitting out to the menu, when landed you have to turn off your engines, then the power.

72gcltU.png

Pic unrelated.

X55 people...

First thanks for the hint with the input folders.

For steam it is: "Steam"\SteamApps\common\Microsoft FlightSimulator\Input\

There is already a

Saitek_Pro_Flight_X-56_Rhino_Stick.xml

and

Saitek_Pro_Flight_X-56_Rhino_Throttle.xml

The X55 and the X56 are basically the same Sticks: Simply Copy the xml file and rename the Copy to

Saitek_Pro_Flight_X-55_Rhino_Stick.xml

and

Saitek_Pro_Flight_X-55_Rhino_Throttle.xml

Now open the XML and Change

<Device DeviceName="Saitek Pro Flight X-56 Rhino Stick"

to

<Device DeviceName="Saitek Pro Flight X-55 Rhino Stick"

the same for the throttle of course.

Now you have a fully mapped basic setup by Microsoft for your stick.

32 minutes ago, milko said:

Damn, I wonder if someone's got that done for the non-Steam version then. Last I looked it was 'coming soon'.

Store version files are here (Junction Point name will change after every update):

image.thumb.png.5b24581a361f8ff46748e94d71efef95.png

Permissions on WindowsApps folders are a bit funky. I'm gonna fiddle with it tomorrow and hope it doesn't break the install.

Tried to fly Liverpool to Leeds tonight and ended up over stressing the air craft. 

One of my objectives was to climb to a cruising altitude but there was no hint as to what that was. I got to 11,000ft and it was still advising me to climb. 

What was I missing?

My installer crashed overnight downloading the 90GB, I reopened it this morning and it says it has 60GB to go but seems to be stuck on "please wait...".

Do I just need to leave it for ages while it scans the existing files? I'm on an NVME SSD so it really shouldn't take this long to do that...

24 minutes ago, Isaac said:

My installer crashed overnight downloading the 90GB, I reopened it this morning and it says it has 60GB to go but seems to be stuck on "please wait...".

Do I just need to leave it for ages while it scans the existing files? I'm on an NVME SSD so it really shouldn't take this long to do that...

I’d restart if it’s been stuck for more than five minutes. It’d usually get going within a minute or two.

On 21/08/2020 at 07:58, Isaac said:

I had the same. I was on WiFi at first, but I've plugged the ethernet cable in after yet another crash during installation. Then I got the "please wait" message as well.

Uninstalled the game completely and started all over on the wired connection (which is ~300Mbit). Left it on overnight and this morning it was completed. I left the Xbox beta app active on the background, though. No idea if that improved the installation).

Tonight I'm going to find out if my laptop (i5-7300HQ, 4GB GTX1050 mobile, 8GB RAM) can run it properly (I think not, just look at those embarassing hardware specs :seanr:).

8 hours ago, bradigor said:

Tried to fly Liverpool to Leeds tonight and ended up over stressing the air craft. 

One of my objectives was to climb to a cruising altitude but there was no hint as to what that was. I got to 11,000ft and it was still advising me to climb. 

What was I missing?

I think the objectives might be a bit buggy. I had a similar thing the other night - I was in a very small aircraft flying out of a grass field, and my first objective was "Climb to 500 feet". It just stayed there for the duration of the entire flight, unresolved, even after I'd got up to several thousand feet.

Presumably this stuff will get tightened up in patches.

Absolutely loving this. But seem to have a ton Of bugs, a lot of the keys don’t seem to work, including D for heading. Brakes are pretty hit and miss which really doesn’t help landing in the Himalayas. 

Cant believe there’s no official guide or manual, and the training is helpful but not anywhere near enough to get you going. I’m just ignoring air traffic control as I have no clue on how to respond. 

34 minutes ago, beenabadbunny said:

I think the objectives might be a bit buggy. I had a similar thing the other night - I was in a very small aircraft flying out of a grass field, and my first objective was "Climb to 500 feet". It just stayed there for the duration of the entire flight, unresolved, even after I'd got up to several thousand feet.

Presumably this stuff will get tightened up in patches.

Excellent. The last 20 mins of my stream last night was me losing my mind trying to find where on three cockpit it mentioned how high I had to be.

13 minutes ago, Dave White said:

Absolutely loving this. But seem to have a ton Of bugs, a lot of the keys don’t seem to work, including D for heading. Brakes are pretty hit and miss which really doesn’t help landing in the Himalayas. 

I've been finding I have to have a very precise touch on the keys. Too short a keypress and it doesn't register at all, too long and it toggles on and immediately back off again.

My setup now is the Attack3 @beenabadbunny kindly sent me for flight control, with keyboard for instrument settings. Then mouse for looking around. Finally 8bitdo for drone.

Only issue I do have is the rudder control being on a button. So wondering if I could pick up a separate throttle and rudder control standalone to use in my current setup.

18 minutes ago, Dave White said:

I’m just ignoring air traffic control as I have no clue on how to respond. 

Just answer with a simple "yes". ;)

Tower: "Tango Whisky Foxtrot nine, your rate of descent is too big"

DW: "Yes"

3 hours ago, bradigor said:

Excellent. The last 20 mins of my stream last night was me losing my mind trying to find where on three cockpit it mentioned how high I had to be.

I misread the max altitude as the cruising altitude and climbed to 45,000ft in the Cessna Citation yesterday*, and the "Climb to cruising altitude" objective still never went away. So my assumption is either this objective is broken, or you have to configure an altitude somewhere in the in-game autopilot, but I haven't figured out how to mess around with that yet.

* and promptly broke my plane apart trying to get back down to land. :lol:

This game is absolutely incredible. My PC runs it around 30-40fps at 1080P on medium and even with those settings it's pretty amazing.

Played on the projector yesterday, pressed Y on the keyboard and pulled the plane up to quarter of a million feet up and it was an out of body experience seeing my part of the country from that far away. Then bizarrely expecting a black screen when I pressed Y again found the Cessna was quite happy that far up and nosedived back to earth where I leveled it out and landed it!

What a game.

Fucking yes! Took off from North Wield in Essex and flew to Liverpool John Lennon and a shade over two hours. Nailed the landing, it was smooth as butter. Taxi off the runway without skipping a beat. Request taxi to parking.....

Spoiler

Crash into a garage and get stuck :lol: 

6 minutes ago, bradigor said:

Fucking yes! Took off from North Wield in Essex and flew to Liverpool John Lennon and a shade over two hours. Nailed the landing, it was smooth as butter. Taxi off the runway without skipping a beat. Request taxi to parking.....

Hide contents

Crash into a garage and get stuck :lol: 

I mildly rebounded off the roof of a building and still managed a smooth landing yesterday. Quite impressive.

Then I crashed my plane into a small bush on my next flight and got immediately game overed. Bit weird after the rebound on my previous flight.

(Relatedly, firstly Uluru is a lot more impressive than I expected it to be, and also landing on a strip with literally no discernible features around it makes it really hard to know how close you are, resulting in me being much too fast. I really should have gone around again, but it was bed time so I just went for it.)