Microsoft Flight Simulator

3 hours ago, Strategos said:

Ahhh gotcha  , fair point. They might waive that surely ? 

I imagine so, they're smart enough to realise this problem from their end.

But it does change it from a one click process to a "Talk to someone" process.

1 hour ago, Dudley said:

Your CPU is as old as the PS3.  I'm frankly astonished it boots.

1 hour ago, footle said:

I’m kind of surprised you’re able to run a recent version of Windows 10 on it.

It runs Outrun 2 on TeknoParrot... I was expecting maybe 10fps, but 2? Christ! 

Just did a proper flight from Biggin Hill, across London then a perfect land in a little airfield north of London. Love it :)

Think I’ll try the Caribbean next

I mean this game is boring. But fuck me it’s boring in a thoroughly engrossing, satisfying and brilliant way. 

Im currently piloting between two Caribbean islands, it’s just sea. All I’m doing is adjusting trim and making sure I have a nice approach to my destination. It’s bloody brill :)

9 hours ago, Pockets said:

I'm still setting up medium haul flights it seems, not whizzing around having fun like the rest of you - just climbing above the clouds and then sitting back, trying to stay on course. Last night I found autopilot in one of the planes so I just sat back and watched the night sky between Nice and Marseille and then just took over for a very shaky landing. Got those punters down though.

I assume that's what actual pilots do? Just whack on autopilot once they're up and on the way? I know it's not very 'gamey' but I'm in full-on roleplay mode at the moment.

Commercial jets use a flight management computer (fmc) that is programmed with the whole

flight including flight levels, way points, departure and arrival patterns . In say the a320 and most jets it’s the smaller screens in the lower part of the flight deck with lots of keys underneath. The autopilot followed this and is switched on after a few thousand feet and left on until the last 1-2000 feet or just left on completely for an auto land. The flight can be changed while I’m flight at any time and can also me overridden if taking direct arc instructions on busy airspace like around the south east. If you’re in the front of a narrow body like and a320 and know what you’re listening for you can usually hear the pilots disengage the autopilot on landing (or not as the case may be). Commercial pilots do need to train to keep their handling skills up and if you look at some crashes they’re often down to reliance on automation or lack of hand flying skills and even then some companies have standard operating procedures that require pilots use auto thrust - ba is one for example. 

I've been island hopping, first did the Aeolian isles in the Robin, then I discovered the Azores are not at all where I thought they were and went between Horta and Pico in one of the Diamonds. I can recommend this, they all have airports, so you can make a proper trip of it, unlike the Aeolians which were too steep to land on.

2ZaJRtZ.png

I also went to Hawaii, and did a loop around Oahu, VFR tracking those highways I memorised from TDU 15 years ago. I'll have to come back in something faster, because the islands and the water between are much bigger than I expected.

Having failed to land at Val Thorens in a Cessna, I’m now letting my copilot take a airbus from Denver to Salt Lake City over the rockies, while I fiddle with wind behind, above and below us...

10 hours ago, beenabadbunny said:

It didn't work properly with my (PS4) Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS. It knows it's connected and even shows a labelled picture of it in-game, but the functions aren't all there.

The actual flight stick works straight off the bat, and so do some of the buttons on the throttle, but not all of them, and not the throttle itself.

I ended up using an Xbox pad.

Damn I bought the T-Flight 4 specifically for this and Squadrons. Is there no way to manually remap buttons and throttle? Have you got the TM PC drivers installed for it? Hopefully they’ll patch it in eventually if it’s really borked.

And just to add on this I’m baffled this has been promoted as much as it is. I mean I read the guardian article about having the whole world to fly around like it’s new when every single Microsoft flight sim has had this. FSX didn’t have this level of promotion yet basically did exactly the same thing just didn’t look as pretty. Weird. 

I love barnstorming in my little biplane or just taking off from some airport, pointing the plane in a direction and heading off.

I thought I'd recorded a great little flight in a lovely region of France but Geforce experience had decided it was going to record my second monitor instead. I'll never find that place again.

I still want to make my biplane pink

7 minutes ago, spanx said:

I mean this game is boring. But fuck me it’s boring in a thoroughly engrossing, satisfying and brilliant way. 

Im currently piloting between two Caribbean islands, it’s just sea. All I’m doing is adjusting trim and making sure I have a nice approach to my destination. It’s bloody brill :)

That’s exactly right. It really is boring as fuck. I hate flying in real life because it’s so boring. The bits some people are scared of are the only bits I like.

This perfectly captures that boredom but being in control of it somehow makes it weirdly exciting. When you figure out autopilot controls and literally sit there doing nothing you half wonder what the fuck you’re doing and half just love it. 

1 minute ago, Bangaio said:

And just to add on this I’m baffled this has been promoted as much as it is. I mean I read the guardian article about having the whole world to fly around like it’s new when every single Microsoft flight sim has had this. FSX didn’t have this level of promotion yet basically did exactly the same thing just didn’t look as pretty. Weird. 

Microsoft marketing campaign.

Azure.

Plus it is very pretty, which is important when there’s a load of virtual tourism to do and articles to hang off Covid.

5 minutes ago, Bangaio said:

Commercial jets use a flight management computer (fmc) that is programmed with the whole

flight including flight levels, way points, departure and arrival patterns . In say the a320 and most jets it’s the smaller screens in the lower part of the flight deck with lots of keys underneath. The autopilot followed this and is switched on after a few thousand feet and left on until the last 1-2000 feet or just left on completely for an auto land. The flight can be changed while I’m flight at any time and can also me overridden if taking direct arc instructions on busy airspace like around the south east. If you’re in the front of a narrow body like and a320 and know what you’re listening for you can usually hear the pilots disengage the autopilot on landing (or not as the case may be). Commercial pilots do need to train to keep their handling skills up and if you look at some crashes they’re often down to reliance on automation or lack of hand flying skills and even then some companies have standard operating procedures that require pilots use auto thrust - ba is one for example. 

How does that sound?

Because, of course, next time I'm sat in an A320 or similar I shall now be listening for it just to see if the pilot is earning his/her money that day.

9 minutes ago, Bangaio said:

So I’m basically a pilot is what you’re saying?

9 minutes ago, Flub said:

I love barnstorming in my little biplane or just taking off from some airport, pointing the plane in a direction and heading off.

I thought I'd recorded a great little flight in a lovely region of France but Geforce experience had decided it was going to record my second monitor instead. I'll never find that place again.

I still want to make my biplane pink

Your logbook should have the location you started at, if that helps?

6 minutes ago, Mike S said:

How does that sound?

Because, of course, next time I'm sat in an A320 or similar I shall now be listening for it just to see if the pilot is earning his/her money that day.

On an a320 and most other airbus it’s three high pitches beeps fairly quickly one after the other. Boing is more of a low pitched siren/klaxon sound. I Pilots do need to do auto lands as well to ensure the systems work and to keep themselves current with flying a cat 3 auto land. Obviously the pilot flying has hands on controls ready to take over. The last one I remember on auto that I knew was auto was flying in to a very foggy Heathrow. 

2 minutes ago, ilpostino said:

Your logbook should have the location you started at, if that helps?

I have a logbook? Does it track all my fucking about?

2 minutes ago, Flub said:

I have a logbook? Does it track all my fucking about?

Yes! I'm not at home right now, but I think if you click the 'Profile' tab you should see the Logbook item.

5 minutes ago, Bangaio said:

For me at least, this is the important bit.

Everything I saw of every other iteration of FS just looked incredibly sterile, like you would be flying around above a huge, badly texture mapped geometric plane. I’m sure you’d be doing interesting pilot stuff, but it just radiated a... fundamental dullness that meant I never even wanted to try it.

But the verisimilitude in this version is just insane. You fly somewhere and you are there, it’s genuinely beautiful in the way that real life is beautiful. I guess you’re not doing anything different in terms of the ‘game’, but the experience is something else.

29 minutes ago, Bangaio said:

On an a320 and most other airbus it’s three high pitches beeps fairly quickly one after the other. Boing is more of a low pitched siren/klaxon sound. I Pilots do need to do auto lands as well to ensure the systems work and to keep themselves current with flying a cat 3 auto land. Obviously the pilot flying has hands on controls ready to take over. The last one I remember on auto that I knew was auto was flying in to a very foggy Heathrow. 

Thanks! Really appreciate the insight.

I shall, of course, keep a weather ear open next time I'm making a short haul trip somewhere. If I hear the beeps I shall make a point of telling whoever is within earshot what they mean. Whether I know them or not. 

17 minutes ago, ilpostino said:

Yes! I'm not at home right now, but I think if you click the 'Profile' tab you should see the Logbook item.

That's excellent. I just wish we could add notes like "That nice flight down the river in France" :)