IGNORED

Microsoft Flight Simulator

tronied

2 minutes ago, Wallace said:

Looks like I'm destined to never play this on PC... The install within the game just hangs after anywhere between 0 and 5GB.restarting the game does nothing. Restarting my PC means it starts from scratch again <_<

Yeah, I've given up on it.

It didn't work properly with my (PS4) Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS. It knows it's connected and even shows a labelled picture of it in-game, but the functions aren't all there.

The actual flight stick works straight off the bat, and so do some of the buttons on the throttle, but not all of them, and not the throttle itself.

I ended up using an Xbox pad.

Edit: ignore the above - I just needed to install the driver from the Thrustmaster website. It's great now.

22 hours ago, milko said:

With axis config stuff like throttle you have to be careful which control you’re trying to assign as there are some digital ones and they make it go wrong. 
sorry if you went through all that already. 

Honestly I barely touched it. I expect you're probably right and it'll just take a bit of tinkering. As it is, I plugged it in, it didn't really work, I got impatient, cracked on with the Xbox pad. :)

(edited to add: it just needed the official Thrustmaster driver)

It actually downloaded overnight! 

Had a wee fly about my area to see the sights and the detail is slightly better than anticipated. Looking forward to seeing more popular parts of the world. 

Also very impressive sounds, especially from my actual PC which is incredibly similar to a jet engine. 

Time to shop for a new CPU. 

14 hours ago, snowbind said:

Have you got any Windows updates pending? That fucked me over when MCC launched on games pass.

Turns out that despite my running the check for updates on my PC, and being told that windows was up to date, my Windows build is in fact some way out of date. I was on 1903 when the latest build is apparently 2004. Windows is set to automatically update and seems to be installing patches every week or two so I have no idea why it was out of date.  I am now downloading the latest Windows build so we'll see if that helps. 

Why the fuck Microsoft when installing a first party game onto their own OS cannot check and advise tghe user that this is a problem is beyond me. They are just awful at this...

They've fucked up the steam version.  The Steam download is the same as the pre-load so it needs to download 92gb.

It counts doing this as playtime.  Steam only offers refunds if you've played less than 2 hours, which of course means that unless your connection is about 150mbps and the download fills that you're not even going to get the thing started before it expires.

2 minutes ago, Mike S said:

Turns out that despite my running the check for updates on my PC, and being told that windows was up to date, my Windows build is in fact some way out of date. I was on 1903 when the latest build is apparently 2004. Windows is set to automatically update and seems to be installing patches every week or two so I have no idea why it was out of date.  I am now downloading the latest Windows build so we'll see if that helps. 

Why the fuck Microsoft when installing a first party game onto their own OS cannot check and advise tghe user that this is a problem is beyond me. They are just awful at this...

1909 is the minimum. 2004, yeah less so.

3 minutes ago, Dudley said:

They've fucked up the steam version.  The Steam download is the same as the pre-load so it needs to download 92gb.

It counts doing this as playtime.  Steam only offers refunds if you've played less than 2 hours, which of course means that unless your connection is about 150mbps and the download fills that you're not even going to get the thing started before it expires.

I got it on steam, download was 500mb ? 

My install crashes every time too, and seeing all the similar complaints here, it was to be expected.

Still, it resumes every time I restart so what's been installed does not have to be installed again. The only questions that remain are "how many restarts until finished" and "can my poor 'gaming laptop' run it?"

17 minutes ago, Strategos said:

I got it on steam, download was 500mb ? 

Yes, that's the problem.

Then you start the game and before you can actually play the game you have to wait for another 92gb to download.

The time this takes is counted by Steam as your 2 hour trial.  (Plus an extra 12 hours if you have my connection).