Microsoft Flight Simulator

1 hour ago, GamesGamesGames said:

It wasn't a sad reaction. I took that one to be empathy.

This is why we need the negs back. No more confusion! :blah:

17 minutes ago, Dave White said:

utter rookie question but ive just plugged my A-10 hotas in and have started the training, any idea where the camera reset button 3 is?

ctrl-c will bring up a picture of your device with the buttons labelled.

3 hours ago, Mike S said:

Fucking hell.

After we earlier optimism after it actually began downloading the gamed it has stopped at 31Gb, crashed, and now will not start at all.

I have never, as far as I can recall,  had an installation problem with any other platform/service. I have constant shite like this from the MS store so am finished with it. The game can wait until my next PC in a few months...

Just imagine the headlines.

"Demand for new MS game melts servers"   :D

28 minutes ago, Dave White said:

utter rookie question but ive just plugged my A-10 hotas in and have started the training, any idea where the camera reset button 3 is?

The pinky button (not the paddle) I think.

6 minutes ago, Mike S said:

What?

I'm assuming lots of people are having problems downloading the game.    Rather than say "Our servers are shit" companies usually try to PR it as "Phenomenal demand for product x brings down wesbite"   You know, the bullshit they pull with things like Glastonbury ticket sales.

2 hours ago, tronied said:

Yep, everyone along the Thames on the ground floor seem to be living underwater. It really is a beautiful game though:

Screenshot_2020-08-18_at_14_59_11.thumb.png.0df612851e5f97f2d294d041dd4e93a1.png

I thought I'd try out the market place so I bought the landmarks for London pack for £6.99. At least now there isn't a block of flats where Buckingham Palace should be.

The version where the Palace is replaced by housing sounds like the good version

2 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

I'm assuming lots of people are having problems downloading the game.    Rather than say "Our servers are shit" companies usually try to PR it as "Phenomenal demand for product x brings down wesbite"   You know, the bullshit they pull with things like Glastonbury ticket sales.

Aah, right!

Indeed.

I'm not getting very far with this >_<

Getting stuck on the Install button from the Gamepass app !  I am using ShadowPC though which is no doubt causing issues (I've created a new volume to solve the NTFS error) but so far no joy.

image.png.600714fe6e6777e4a3394559f7dd11d1.png

Edit - looks like I'm well behind on windows updates...despite checking for windows updates multiple times!

Oh THIS is why I play on consoles not PCs

So far we have three crashes, a couple of freezes, not recognising the controller, oh and zero minutes of actual gaming. 

I just want to fly a plane. 

Found my house! In fact I had a nice little fly around, found my office, my pub, etc. Landmarks like Cambridge Uni aren't custom, but you can still recognize it from all the quadrangles, etc. And the imagery around me is surprisingly up-to-date, probably 2018?

It's incredible how good it looks though, feels like the best graphics artistry still can't compare to the real world, even if you do feel the performance cost when you get close to the ground and the framerate drops into the teens.

22 minutes ago, spanx said:

Oh THIS is why I play on consoles not PCs

So far we have three crashes, a couple of freezes, not recognising the controller, oh and zero minutes of actual gaming. 

I just want to fly a plane. 

It's not PC's, it's Microsoft/Game Pass/the MS Store. 

I am in much the same boat as yourself but have given up on playing this anytime soon. Spending a day trying to download a game and experiencing failure after failure is just not much fun. I have a modest list of games on PC Gamepass that I gave up on playing for various technical issues.  I would be fucking livid had I paid £60+ for this experience...

Has anyone been prompted to insert a disk with the game pass version? strangely I am 

EDIT, I had disconnected my WiFi as I used the cat5 for download and now I'm in a different room, I suspect that's the issue 

I keep getting myself involved in flights that are way longer than I think they'll be. I know it's real world, but I think part of my gamer brain feels a controller and assumes it won't be. That and the planes I'm flying are way slower than I thought they'd be. I assumed all planes went pretty fast but I guess a jumbo jet does cover 500 miles significantly quicker than my little Cessna.

I tried the little jet one out, might be a compromise.

2 hours ago, rafaqat said:

Unfortunately the servers are owned and operated by... oh.

Got this downloaded fine overnight but I've lost an hour to it today without getting anywhere. It just kept shitting the bed during various parts of the setup process. Finally got in a plane and it crashed within five minutes. I assume the servers are getting hammered so will just leave it a few days so Microsoft can file a support ticket with itself to get some more capacity online.

Also having an experience getting this downloaded.

Into the in-game downloader, at least, but it stops and crashes every so often and now I can't get past the "Press Any Key" intro screen. :rolleyes:

Still haven’t figured out my Dual Shoack controller issue. Works fine for another game I downloaded but when I boot in to FS there are no mappings and the sticks are being recognised wrongly. 

Must be something to do with the DS4Windows driver I guess but I’m clueless. Oh well :(

86o4Bpb.jpg

I've got my settings all sorted now. As you see above I get about 70+ up higher, about 50-60 download around small towns and 30-40 in the biggest cities (Like New York).

I'm on mostly high, 70% of 1440p/ Ground traffic set at about 50. One interesting thing I noticed. When the game is pulling fresh data from the net you can really feel it if it's a complex area (You get judders) and then it settles once the data is in. In less complex areas I basically don't notice it. I suspect this will depend on your net speed. One thing that really helped with these judders was capping the bandwidth. I have 350meg so I left it on unlimited. This turned out to be a problem so I capped it out at 40meg and everything is much smoother now.