IGNORED

Microsoft Flight Simulator

tronied

I'm not getting very far with this >_<

Getting stuck on the Install button from the Gamepass app !  I am using ShadowPC though which is no doubt causing issues (I've created a new volume to solve the NTFS error) but so far no joy.

image.png.600714fe6e6777e4a3394559f7dd11d1.png

Edit - looks like I'm well behind on windows updates...despite checking for windows updates multiple times!

Found my house! In fact I had a nice little fly around, found my office, my pub, etc. Landmarks like Cambridge Uni aren't custom, but you can still recognize it from all the quadrangles, etc. And the imagery around me is surprisingly up-to-date, probably 2018?

It's incredible how good it looks though, feels like the best graphics artistry still can't compare to the real world, even if you do feel the performance cost when you get close to the ground and the framerate drops into the teens.

22 minutes ago, spanx said:

Oh THIS is why I play on consoles not PCs

So far we have three crashes, a couple of freezes, not recognising the controller, oh and zero minutes of actual gaming. 

I just want to fly a plane. 

It's not PC's, it's Microsoft/Game Pass/the MS Store. 

I am in much the same boat as yourself but have given up on playing this anytime soon. Spending a day trying to download a game and experiencing failure after failure is just not much fun. I have a modest list of games on PC Gamepass that I gave up on playing for various technical issues.  I would be fucking livid had I paid £60+ for this experience...

2 hours ago, rafaqat said:

I'm assuming lots of people are having problems downloading the game.    Rather than say "Our servers are shit" companies usually try to PR it as "Phenomenal demand for product x brings down wesbite"   You know, the bullshit they pull with things like Glastonbury ticket sales.

Unfortunately the servers are owned and operated by... oh.

Got this downloaded fine overnight but I've lost an hour to it today without getting anywhere. It just kept shitting the bed during various parts of the setup process. Finally got in a plane and it crashed within five minutes. I assume the servers are getting hammered so will just leave it a few days so Microsoft can file a support ticket with itself to get some more capacity online.

Still haven’t figured out my Dual Shoack controller issue. Works fine for another game I downloaded but when I boot in to FS there are no mappings and the sticks are being recognised wrongly. 

Must be something to do with the DS4Windows driver I guess but I’m clueless. Oh well :(

86o4Bpb.jpg

I've got my settings all sorted now. As you see above I get about 70+ up higher, about 50-60 download around small towns and 30-40 in the biggest cities (Like New York).

I'm on mostly high, 70% of 1440p/ Ground traffic set at about 50. One interesting thing I noticed. When the game is pulling fresh data from the net you can really feel it if it's a complex area (You get judders) and then it settles once the data is in. In less complex areas I basically don't notice it. I suspect this will depend on your net speed. One thing that really helped with these judders was capping the bandwidth. I have 350meg so I left it on unlimited. This turned out to be a problem so I capped it out at 40meg and everything is much smoother now.

1 hour ago, RubberJohnny said:

I see on the world map they've highlighted Bugalaga, in Papua New Guinea

It's so sloped the stall warning goes off when flaring for land.

A friend of mine used to work in remote locations in PNG, accessible only by helicopter. One time he was leaving the site to head back into town and it was just him and the pilot, a Vietnam chopper vet. Pilot asked him if he wanted to fly back in the the company  approved manner or hop in the co-pilot seat and have some fun. Mate opted for fun. The pilot then took him on a roller coaster ride throwing the chopper into valleys, skimming trees with the blades, skipping over ridges with a few feet clearance, etc.  Apparently it was indeed fun, at first, sickening after not too long, terrifying all the time...

Well I managed to complete the first few lessons then thought I’d risk a night flight over London. Got in the air fine, had a pootle around then managed to fluke a landing. Then got lost in the dark and couldn’t figure out how to turn lights on.

So many controls. Soooo many controls

Doing a flight pattern lesson had me shaking as I came in to land. So many nerves that shake from me translating to my plane jerkin around as I grip the stick harder.

I don't think I breathed in the final descent. 

I thought this was meant to be relaxing.

It is so so so good.

Having followed the evolution of these 3D earths since the original Keyhole (pre-Google buyout - so beginning of 2003 or so: I remember demonstrating it to a technical lead at the European Space Agency's Earth Observation research group as a bit of a "look at this, isn't it cool" back when this kind of thing wasn't just fed straight into our linked-in / twitter feeds), this is simply stunning. The stuff done by the Austrian machine learning folk is amazing. Fiddle with the light settings (and stick some clouds in - always stick some clouds in) and your photogrammery version of Southampton could be there.

It's the first non-VR thing I've played in a long time that's felt truly next-gen. In many ways, the weather makes it - pushes it past your Google Earth VR, which I'd have said was the previous pinnacle for this kind of thing in the mass market: I'm actually a bit surprised that it's Microsoft and not Google, or Amazon (both more active in this space) who've got there first.

New York is good, if you stay just above the skyscrapers. It's definitely worth dropping perceived resolution a bit, and waiting through a couple of the hitches to let stuff load in when you've "jumped". It also feels a bit smoother than yesterday - not sure if Flub's trick of setting a max limit on download speed helped or is just a placebo: certainly seems better.

Not having much luck playing with the camera in Showcase view though - am I missing some kind of drone control?

1 hour ago, RubberJohnny said:

Found Namibia's Forbidden Zone!

I once took a four person plane from Windhoek over to Walvis Bay to pick up a few things before then flying low along the length of the Skeleton Coast to the very odd, very racist, former whaling town of Luderitz. One of the most spectacular and memorable flights I've been fortunate to take with endless incredible views of giant dunes running right into the sea and some amazing wrecks. Got to sit in the co-pilot seat too. which was excellent.

If the game worked for me I'd be recreating that flight in a heartbeat.

EDIT: we also made a slight detour to see the Roter Kamm meteorite crater on the return flight which was awesome. I'd add that to the flight plan.