Microsoft Flight Simulator

8 hours ago, Bangaio said:

A 14 year old flight sim looks and sounds as good and in some ways better better than this apart from the scenery. 

To some extent though that’s what will happen in an ecosystem that ruled by mods and small companies improving things.

In an odd turn of events I had precisely zero interest in Microsoft’s new console (or the PS5) but this would be a killer app I never saw coming that would get me to buy one just to play it.

It looks amazing, and I have no interest in previous flight sims.

On 30/07/2020 at 13:23, djbhammer said:

What a landing! :lol:

EeuNmth.png

The ones in the IGN landing challenges video in your post are similar. Presumably he only got away with those landings because some of the realism/simulation features were disabled? Obviously they're not going to realistically simulate a crashing plane breaking apart as it misses the runway. But I bet there are a lot of simulation enthusiasts who'll be disappointed if the game just lets them get away with landings like those!

On 30/07/2020 at 09:56, max renn said:

What's your first planned flight?

I'll take off at Toronto City Airport, do a nice flyby of the city before heading East to land at Ottawa Macdonald-Cartier International Airport.

I already did mine (Heathrow -> Northolt -> Past My House -> Thames -> Through Tower Bridge ... and then my plan was all out but I buzzed the Dome and landed at London City without asking, it was nice), so I think I'll head up to my hometown and have a buzz along the North Wales coast into Snowdonia and then work out somewhere to go from there.

On 30/07/2020 at 14:56, max renn said:

What's your first planned flight?

Like others already done it’s Belfast city to Birmingham (a route I could prob do blindfolded with amount of times I flew it for uni)  was still amazing Being to recognisable locations 

5 hours ago, Nick R said:

What a landing! :lol:

The ones in the IGN landing challenges video in your post are similar. Presumably he only got away with those landings because some of the realism/simulation features were disabled? Obviously they're not going to realistically simulate a crashing plane breaking apart as it misses the runway. But I bet there are a lot of simulation enthusiasts who'll be disappointed if the game just lets them get away with landings like those!

I don't even know where to start with this one - all previous flight sim versions allowed you to do what happened in this video and completely miss the run way, slew it along the ground and get away with it.  I guess if people are having fun then that's great but that isn't how you fly an airbus bless him!

So what are the chances that I can control the planes with my racing wheel and pedals? 

Steering wheel for roll, clutch and throttle pedals for pitch, shifter paddles for yaw? :sherlock:

6 minutes ago, Meerman said:

So what are the chances that I can control the planes with my racing wheel and pedals? 

Steering wheel for roll, clutch and throttle pedals for pitch, shifter paddles for yaw? :sherlock:

On PC? About 100%

Has anyone had an email about a ‘MS Flight Simulator Research Opportunity’, it’s from noreply@flightsimulator.com. It all looks fine but I don’t trust anyone. It’s essentially a survey you do after playing on the 18th.

50 minutes ago, jonamok said:

It really was. HOTAS ordered, just need to build a rig now. :lol:

This definitely feels like one of those games that will be used to justify the expense of many a new PC.

My PC is due an upgrade as it has been five years since I added a 980 Ti and the rest of the machine pre-dates that by a few years too so it is relatively ancient tech. Still runs pretty much everything I play at 1440p/60fps with high and over settings though so has aged pretty well really. Given the performance leaps in graphics cards and the added oomph of a new processor I am expecting a very significant improvement when I do make the new build. It is therefore quite annoying that the 3080 cards are so close yet so far as I'm not building anything until I have seen what extra they bring to the table..

I suspect this next build will be at the expense of the new Xbox though.

1 hour ago, Mike S said:

I suspect this next build will be at the expense of the new Xbox though.

Yep, I’m going PC, PS5, Switch 2 this coming gen. My X1X will be fine for any Xbox exclusives.

3 minutes ago, jonamok said:

Yep, I’m going PC, PS5, Switch 2 this coming gen. My X1X will be fine for any Xbox exclusives.

I do want to buy a PS5 (if only for Demon's Souls) but will need a form revision or, at least, a colour variation before actually putting money down as the current horror show is not going to be sitting in my house. The astonishingly awful shape is only amplified by it's enormous size and look at me colour scheme. As I have nowhere to hide it out of sight I'll just need to wait for a lower profile design. 

Blue LED's FFS.