Microsoft Flight Simulator

As someone who hasn't played a flight sim before, is it recommended that I buy some extra peripherals for this? Or would I get on OK with a controller? I was kind of thinking it could play like Elite Dangerous with controller bindings but I just don't know... Last thing I want to do is boot it up and feel like I don't have the tools to get enjoyment from it! 

If it was VR compatible then I would probably invest in a headset for it as I imagine it would be pretty mind blowing. 

Tried and failed to find that massive open pit mine in Siberia this evening. Ended up just enjoying some rolling hills and flying in and out of clouds. 

• Upvote 3
16 minutes ago, Revival said:

ahem, Want's a word...

NES-advantage.jpg

Haha fair enough, I was a C64 kid until 1990 and the Maverick served me well. 
I even played Project Stealth with it?!

Got into the alpha on this and it’s really next level stuff they are pull off - even on my mid level pc rig it’s playing on high and looks stunning - hopefully they add vr in the future when it’s released as this would be stunning in vr

Can someone have a wee fly over south west scotland (Dumfries / gretna etc) and snap a screenshot? I want to see how areas with low res maps on bing/google maps look. 

I can't wait for this. It's the sort of game I can put on, warp to a random part of the world and just fly around chilling with some low-fi hip hop beats

2 hours ago, Thor said:

Fuck that then.

If your looking for something similar in vr have a gander at flyinside vr they also use bing maps to stream land - while no where as impressive graphically as this it is a great vr flight sim, close ms flight sim x with  controller support and full touch control support if you want - Ive been enjoying it on the run up to this 

• Upvote 2
13 minutes ago, Wallace said:

Is that headset decent or would you recommend waiting for other devices? 

No one can be sure, as it's not officially out yet.

On paper the specs look good though. 

https://www8.hp.com/us/en/vr/reverb-g2-vr-headset.html

But its WindowsMR headset which is the least favoured tracking  and drivers combo of the three PC varieties (SteamVR and Oculus being the other two)  No idea if the tracking/controllers are good in the real world.

1 minute ago, Valver said:

No one can be sure, as it's not officially out yet.

On paper the specs look good though.  But its WindowsMR headset which is the least favoured tracking  and drivers combo of the three PC varieties (SteamVR and Oculus being the other two)  No idea if the tracking/controllers are good in the real world.

Wasn't it developed with Valve? So the software should at least be decent.

Just now, layten said:

Wasn't it developed with Valve? So the software should at least be decent.

I think only the hardware was co-developed with Valve (it uses the same excellent off-ear headphones the Index has for example)

It will have SteamVR compatibility...  but the drivers are WindowsMR and are all HP's own work...  hence my slight reservations.  Wont be long until the non paid for reviews appear...

So... at what point do MS enrich this world with getting out of your plane and running around. Maybe a shootout on the tarmac to get a briefcase from a hanger. And then it goes MMO and there are others just flying around doing missions. The idea of a detailed world like this just springs forward so many ideas.

I've always wanted to make a game which pulls something like openstreetmap data and generates a world around you. Say a zombie survival thing but I can start from my own home and it'll generate houses and schools and shops based on street map data. But I was thinking 2D simple world.

1 hour ago, RubberJohnny said:

There's also this one, if you want to see a landing at a non-premium Heathrow since the preview version is the Standard Edition and people were wondering if it would even be there.

I've tried to avoid too many videos, a the stills are enough to blow my mind (like, repeatedly), but this still looks good to me. Admittedly, I don't know Heathrow that well.

Can you upgrade to premium if you get this via Game Pass?

47 minutes ago, max renn said:

What's your first planned flight?

Unfortunately, we can no longer take off from Meigs Field, Chicago. I used to hop in something and try to fly the Atlantic. Think I'm going to go the other way, this time. Do a flight I've done for real, like hoping from a regional airport here down to Dallas Fort Worth. Or up to Minneapolis and then over to Las Vegas.

4 minutes ago, thesnwmn said:

So... at what point do MS enrich this world with getting out of your plane and running around. Maybe a shootout on the tarmac to get a briefcase from a hanger. And then it goes MMO and there are others just flying around doing missions. The idea of a detailed world like this just springs forward so many ideas.

I don't think they'd ever add combat, there's waaay too many controversies with something set in the real world, what happens if a bunch of people go and shoot up a school after a real world event, or a synagogue?

But I would like to see this tech extend to other types of sims, sailing, driving, yes, probably even trains eventually.

3 minutes ago, TehStu said:

Can you upgrade to premium if you get this via Game Pass?

Yes, there's a couple of upgrade editions on the store. Be aware that you'd probably be in a weird position where you don't own the base game but own the add-ons if it ever goes off, but being a Microsoft first party title that's more of a hypothetical.

• Upvote 1

Perfect. Yeah, in retrospect, I wish I'd got GP earlier and simply bought the upgrade for FH4, rather than going all-in on it separately. As you say, it's unlikely they'll leave.