IGNORED

Microsoft Flight Simulator

tronied

Seeing Donegal Airport on the list of top tier airports was a real head scratcher but apparently its won a bunch of awards for looking lovely. 

I'm a little surprised Microsoft haven't bought Asobo yet. 

19 minutes ago, bear said:

I'm a little surprised Microsoft haven't bought Asobo yet. 

They been mostly a Dev for hire until now. This and A Plague Tale do seem to make them a good fit though. The latter in particular shows that they could develop titles that are ideal for Gamepass.

is there a clever way of getting on Games Pass for discounts or anything? not having an xbox, I've never bothered, but trying this out before deciding which version might be worthwhile if it's cheap enough I suppose. I presume there will be gazillions of expensive DLC later on down the track as well.

42 minutes ago, milko said:

I do. Huh, £4 a month is almost a no-brainer for Flight Sim alone then unless I get really into it. Cool!

as long as you’re aware that once you’ve bought in once, you’ll never get the same level of discounts again. If you’re PC only it probably doesn’t matter though: real savings are if you’re also on Xbox.

7 minutes ago, milko said:

How do you mean, like it's gonna stop being £4 at some point? I don't and won't have an Xbox any time soon.

As a one off you can buy live gold at £40/year, and stack it three times. Then convert it to games pass for £1.

if you’ve both an Xbox and a PC, you’re probably buying live anyway, so it’s a good to great deal. If you’re pc only, it’s less relevant and it comes down to whether you think the price will go up / how many Microsoft exclusives you’re interested in checking out. But it’s less of a no brainer.

4 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

You can't do that on PC because there's no Live Gold to convert.

You can still buy Live Gold without owning an Xbox, so it'll still work. But as you'd only be saving £8 a year it's hardly worth the bother using it, and you'd lose the flexibility of being able to cancel when your attention is drawn elsewhere.

Here's the statement from a Microsoft spokesperson:

"Microsoft Flight Simulator includes nearly every airport around that globe that is represented in Bing Maps, which is roughly 37,000. However, of those 37,000 airports, we have specifically hand-crafted 40 of them (depending on the edition - 30 for Standard Edition, 35 for Deluxe Edition, 40 for Premium Deluxe Edition) for the most realistic and immersive simulation experience."

I was debating whether to get that Logitech setup or the Thrustmaster Airbus throttle and stick. I've pre-ordered the latter as I've always been more interested in commercial flying in MSFS rather than general aviation but I can see myself using something like the Cessna this time around. 

I wasted away an hour looking at videos of MSFS 5.1 which was the first edition I owned. Must have spent hundreds of hours on it. Pretty much all on doing shuttle runs between Meigs Field (RIP) and O'Hare. It was an absolute slideshow on my 486 but I loved it. Still think it's remarkable we're getting another version that looks so good. 

Also Orbx who make ridiculously good scenery for FSX and P3D have confirmed today that they are going to start creating content for MSFS2020. 

4 minutes ago, thesnwmn said:

Of which the craziest part is that the day one patch probably means you need to download the whole thing anyway. 10 coasters.

most of it is just map data: that’s not going to be changing. The only reason for this is that PCs don’t normally have Blu-ray drives.