rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
tronied

Microsoft Flight Simulator

Never played any of these tbh, but I think it looks spectacular and it's amazingly impressive to me that we can render huge tracts of THE WHOLE FUCKING PLANET like that nowadays. Gaming gammons can get to fuck with their sad nostalgia if they don't think that's amazing.

• Upvote 5

That looks very pretty. If it can smoothly handle the level of detail changes to be convincing from high altitude to low it's going to be incredible. Any word on if it'll support VR? 

What I've always felt these non-combat sim games need is a bit of a game though, scenarios and stuff. There's one coming soon called Deadstick where you fly bush planes into tiny backcountry airstrips and the like, doing deliveries and dealing with conditions and faults manually. That seems to me to have way more longterm draw than just aimlessly looking at scenery... once you've flown under the Golden Gate Bridge a couple of times and so on. I know there's people out there who like accurately simming a 737 journey from Gatwick to Stuttgart or whatever, with all the air traffic control and whatnot though, maybe I'm too niche within a niche.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Broker said:

I’m really excited! When I was a kid these were always a bit complex for me, but now I’m interested.

"when I was a kid..."

fs2-st-oakland27r.gif&key=5f591842767ae8

:blah:

• Upvote 3

33 minutes ago, milko said:

What I've always felt these non-combat sim games need is a bit of a game though, scenarios and stuff. There's one coming soon called Deadstick where you fly bush planes into tiny backcountry airstrips and the like, doing deliveries and dealing with conditions and faults manually. 

I think that's what they were doing in the majority of their flight simulator series up until X. I remember they had missions like "drop off emergency supplies to some outback landing strip", "handle engine fault and land it successfully" or "fly a helicopter onto an oil rig which is ablaze to rescue the workers". Maybe for this next one they could implement an open mission framework to allow community members to create new ones. I think the most I could bear with regard to hardcoring it (back when I had endless free time) was flying to France :)

I'm having vague memories of some of that now, from the 90s I guess. Hm! Maybe it was just a bit too dry for teenage me.

E3's been muted for me for the past few years, but Cyberpunk looks brilliant and this reveal took my breath away, rather unexpectedly.

They mention Xbox on the trailer but I presume this is all over PC?

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, Wools said:

E3's been muted for me for the past few years, but Cyberpunk looks brilliant and this reveal took my breath away, rather unexpectedly.

They mention Xbox on the trailer but I presume this is all over PC?

Xbox and PC, and included in Gamepass

• Upvote 1

I'm so excited for this, I don't like combat flight sims but never really had a pc capable of running the older ones. I used to love just flying about in Aerowings on the Dreamcast. 

My son will enjoy it too. I know he'd love the flying in GTA but obviously at 6 that's a no no. 

Now if someone remakes Sky Odyssey I'll be a very happy camper. 

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Wallace said:

Just another note that if you have Gold and GamerPass, MS are allowing upgrades to GamePass Ultimate for £1 and  basically tacking the time you have left on one onto the other.  So I had 2 years of Xbox Gold and 1 year of game pass running concurrently.  Upgrading to Ultimate for £1 has given me GP Ultimate for 3 years.   

3 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Now if someone remakes Sky Odyssey I'll be a very happy camper. 

Oh god yes!!!    I loved that game.

2 hours ago, PeteBrant said:

Look at all those colours! Luxury!!

Psion_Flight_Simulation_on_ZX_Spectrum.p

Look at all those colours. Luxury!!

ZX81FS.png.8ccbf7d59afbae89af4d6b9b01088e9e.png

• Upvote 2

I don't think I've been this excited by a trailer for a game in I don't know how long. If it looks even anywhere close to this.. wow. Took my breath away that 

So much hype when this came on the screen. Like the OP, I didn't want to let myself believe it until the title shot came up at the end, I had a ridiculous number of hours on FS2000.

I hope they've made some big changes to the flight model though, I could never go back to FSX after trying X-Plane.

1 hour ago, Wallace said:

Oh, happy days!

Wonder if my 2070 will even be capable of this though! :unsure:

Game of the show for me, and I'm not going to apologise for all the gushing I'll do in this waffling post.

Curiously, it was the only trailer which made a point of "game engine in 4k" type comment front and center, for everything else it was a little thing down the bottom. I think they wanted to highlight what a modern flight sim could look like, because it's just incredible. I haven't posted about it, but this reveal, completely out of left field, is exactly why I like E3. It was exactly like the original No Man's Sky trailer - didn't know a damn thing about it, jaw on the floor the whole time. And I didn't quite want to believe this one until right at the end where they put the name up. Proper cheer from me.

This is actually great timing for me. My kids like to play on these big sit-down flight simulators, running FSX, at this local play thing. I was going to get a cheap joystick and download FSX on steam for them, but nope, now we'll go all in on whatever the best Xbox HOTAS is when this launches.

Pumped/10

Spoiler

I've owned pretty much every flight simulator on PC, it really was my thing growing up. Wanted to join the RAF too, until I realized how air sick I get. First one I bought was Falcon AT, running in glorious 4 colour CGA. Had pretty much everything else, including Flight Simulator before Microsoft bought it, all the way through FSX. In my basement, I have a still mint boxed version of Falcon 4.0. Shit, I even remember buying it in Dixons when it launched - I was umming and ahhing because it was 45, and my mate urged me on with some yolo spiel. Anyway, I kept it, along with its now perfectly useless floppy disks. 

What super disappointed me though was that flight sims pretty much died on their arse (relatively, given their earlier number) with the rise of FPS and around the time we all went to dedicated 3D hardware, with the 3Dfx, etc. I mean yeah, there was some D3D support there, but I've never felt like anything really pushed the hardware in the genre. Until now, holy shit those 4k visuals. Mind blowing to barely teenage me.

</old gamer blog>

• Upvote 7

This was probably one of the biggest surprises for me at an E3 conference in years. I grew up spending HOURS on MS Flight Simulator 3.1. It blew my mind at the time. I had the conference on the TV last night and turned to my wife during that melee 4v4 game and mentioned how I feel old watching these types of games now and not feeling any excitement. Minutes later I was screaming "FLIGHT SIMULATOR!" in her face. Top stuff.

I’ve never played Flight Simulator but the reveal has me very interested.

The closest game I had was Stunt Island which was fucking amazing and I played the shit out of it.

3E4A341E-9C2D-4BD4-AC96-E232D7B55CBE.thumb.jpeg.963d42e50a51639858eabe2028dbfd7e.jpeg

• Upvote 1

My Dad used to bring various old PCs back from work over the years and we had one battered pirate copy of an early version of MS Flight Simulator that always got installed on each one. By default you'd start on a runway in Chicago and you could fly around Sears Tower. There was only three planes in it I think, a Cesna prop plane, a passenger jet and a jet fighter.

It's amazing to think how enthralling I used to find it. I used to set the weather conditions so there was cloud cover (literally just some grey circles), and then just fly up through the clouds.

Sometimes I changed the camera from cockpit view to a behind the plane view and pretended I was playing Afterburner(!).

Curious to see how they translate this new one to pad controls for the consoles. Could see myself sinking a lot of time in to this with a simplified flight model, sat on the couch.