Deathloop - Tales from the Loop

Mr Do 71

@Minion I'm running performance mode on the PS5 and it's been silky smooth locked 60fps (and thankfully no other bugs/freezes/issues as yet either). I tried the raytracing and couldn't really notice any improve barring the reduced frame rate so it's a no brainer for me to stick with the performance mode.

I've invaded people's games about 10 times so far, about half suffered pretty bad lag issues but the others were totally fine. As @Strafe says, once more people are far enough into the game to utilise it I expect it'll be much faster to matchmake with people and hopefully be in closer regions to reduce the latency. Even with that, so far it's worked significantly better than it ever did with Demon Souls or Bloodborne for me.

Can I close the game and it'll start me back at the bunker where I am now, it's not very clear, I've only done the first two areas I'm juts tired and want to stop for now?

Edit: Yes you can, I just realised I can press circle and be back at the front screen, doh that's the tiredness!

5 minutes ago, Minion said:

Can I close the game and it'll start me back at the bunker where I am now, it's not very clear, I've only done the first two areas I'm juts tired and want to stop for now?

Yeah, it saves whenever you're at the bunker, so you can stop partway through a cycle.

Really fancy this, just really conflicted given I can have it free in a year. Probably with better performance too. 

But then again, I am an impatient idiot. So I’ll probably buy it later. 

6 minutes ago, englishbob said:

First video I've seen of this that makes it look decent. All the other videos made it look a bit janky. Bravo again DF

I’m really surprised it only pushes 1440p in performance mode because it look really crisp, especially in the starting sections to the levels.

I was getting fed up with all the reading. I feel like I’m missing vital clues and stuff but it just throws it all at you. Especially when you get back to the bunker and it does the tutorial thing. The menus themselves need explaining. IMO if that’s the case then your menus are shit. Over complicated.

The mechanics are sound though. If you liked Prey then you will like this. It’s kinda 46% Prey, 22% dishonoured, 12% bioshock, erm ….46+22+12= 80…..20% batshit crazy.

I think it’s important to not get overwhelmed and just take it all in my stride as it’ll all come together later on.

15 minutes ago, Harrisown said:

The mechanics are sound though. If you liked Prey then you will like this. It’s kinda 46% Prey, 22% dishonoured, 12% bioshock, erm ….46+22+12= 80…..20% batshit crazy.

Those are some sums!!

First impressions are that this is extraordinarily good. Right up my street.  Actively encourages you to try and get everywhere, doesn't force you into one way of playing (i.e. it's not a stealth game if you don't want it to be :omg: ), looks lovely, plays lovely.  Running absolutely fine for me on PC.

5 hours ago, Dark Soldier said:

Seems to run great on my 9700k and 2080ti. 1440p Ultra, no RT as its barely noticeable, locked 60 as my monitor is 60.

Could do 4k Med/High but meh.

Its much worse if you have a monitor/TV that can do over 60 or VRR/GSYNC it seems.

I'm a couple of hours in now, it's enjoyable but it's very explainy. I'm still seeing tutorials, text, tooltips and conversations explaining the structure and systems spewing all over the screen, sometimes getting cut short by each other. Outer Wilds gave the player a single unskippable conversation and then let them figure everything else out by themselves for the next 30 hours. Hopefully Deathloop eases off the incessant tutorialisation a bit. The gameplay itself feels great compared to Dishonored and Prey, but also seems fairly shallow thanks to the stupid AI and simplistic stealth. Almost like an afterthought to the concept and systems at the moment, which wasn't the case with Dishonored or Prey. I'm genuinely struggling to distract the guards because they won't investigate anything that falls right at their feet. This ends up making the stealth unintuitive so everything becomes a gunfight, and those are extremely easy. It seems trivial to kill everyone in the level at the moment. The nice thing is, there's no pressure to do everything perfectly or worry about "playing it wrong" because you'll repeat areas multiple times with different gear etc.

The other gripe I have is that the UI controls on PC are bizarre, almost every screen has a different set of controls. Clearly designed for console with PC a complete afterthought. One minute it's ESC to continue, the next minute it's ENTER. Delete confirms some things and cancels others, etc. You can click on some prompts with the mouse but not all of them. Some things are hold to confirm and others aren't. It's a bit exhausting.

The invasion feature is absolutely fucking rubbish. An invincible woman spawns in your map, teleports around while your game suddenly becomes incredibly laggy, kills you instantly because your shots on her aren't registering, and then camps your corpse. Twice. And you can't do anything about it. And then you lose most your stuff and start again. It's awful. Turning that off straight away - what a horrible implementation of a fairly horrible idea.

I just finished another day. I now have two abilities.

I couldn’t save them with the Residuum I had so I literally recycled everything to get 15,000 so I could infuse that ability.

Was I right to do that? I was going to lose all the stuff that wasn’t saved anyway right?

Yeah, you need to burn it all before you die or reset. Now imagine frantically trying to navigate the menus and trying to spend it all you're being hunted by the invincible  teleporting lagmonster for the third time. What a strange idea, can't believe anyone signed off on it.

22 minutes ago, Moz said:

Yeah, you need to burn it all before you die or reset. Now imagine frantically trying to navigate the menus and trying to spend it all you're being hunted by the invincible  teleporting lagmonster for the third time. What a strange idea, can't believe anyone signed off on it.

Well I just invaded someone’s game. We saw each other through a locked door. He nearly killed me. I couldn’t find him after that and he escaped.

So if you get invaded by me, just ignore me lol

45 minutes ago, Moz said:

you can’t spend it if you’re not between missions, so no need to hunt.
But julianna is a good idea, and it’s probably helpful (if not strictly necessary) to have her turned on to complete.

It’s just she’s no fun when you have no idea of the level (and hence alternative routes) and your opponent is camping you. Once you’re powered up it presumably becomes a damn sight easier to compete.

4 hours ago, spanx said:

Really fancy this, just really conflicted given I can have it free in a year. Probably with better performance too. 

But then again, I am an impatient idiot. So I’ll probably buy it later. 

if you liked prey or dishonoured, and you have a PS5, it’s got good haptics and great use of the speaker in the controller. That’s stuff you won’t get in the inevitable Xbox version.

Played the first few hours last night on PS5 and enjoying it so far. I really like the premise and the environments are awesome and the style is cool. The story is intriguing as well. Sadly as mentioned above the combat so far is simplistic, stealth not that engaging so far either. But I am early in and already got a glimpse of the blink-like ability and looking forward to seeing how it progresses. The structure of the game is really interesting, I am just into where it takes off the training wheels and you have multiple threads to follow. 

I agree the game is terrible for overloading you with info when its not needed, thankfully its all pretty straight forward and you can bring up help in the menus. Less useful are the pop up text tips which vanish far too quickly for you to read them. 

As I've found in other games of this type, I had to turn subtitles back on because its too hard to hear enemy conversations in the mix and when the main characters are chatting there's so much going on it can be hard to focus on what they are saying. I would recommend turning on all subtitles but turning the background opacity to zero so they dont stand out so much.

First few hours are positive, hopefully the combat and stealth picks up a bit. The island is awesome, especially the big machine thing, its so cool! Looking forward to seeing how things progress.

11 minutes ago, footle said:

you can’t spend it if you’re not between missions, so no need to hunt.
But julianna is a good idea, and it’s probably helpful (if not strictly necessary) to have her turned on to complete.

It’s just she’s no fun when you have no idea of the level (and hence alternative routes) and your opponent is camping you. Once you’re powered up it presumably becomes a damn sight easier to compete.

Yeah I've just realised the game doesn't have an inventory at all when you're in mission. That seems like a huge step back for Arkane.

Anyway I went looking for Egor. After hipfiring at a few sub-Borderlands-AI enemies for a couple of minutes I noticed a purple blob miles away taking shots at me. I fired back and killed him in one or two hits, then watched his slab fall through the map. Can't finish any of those leads in this loop now. I'm going to bed.

YH2vWPh.jpeg

There’s an inventory, but it’s just your weapons. Everything else is held until you finish the mission (return to the campfire).

If the AI was a genuine threat then i think the game would become tedious with each loop: you’re meant to get to the point where you can go into each world at a given time, complete a couple of tasks and move on. It isn’t really an FPS, but a playground puzzle box.

25 minutes ago, footle said:

if you liked prey or dishonoured, and you have a PS5, it’s got good haptics and great use of the speaker in the controller. That’s stuff you won’t get in the inevitable Xbox version.

Alas no PS5. I’d be playing on PC

Okay, a bit further into the game now and it looks like Juliana really, really has the odds stacked against her. I died to her first time out because the lag was awful and I didn't understand certain mechanics of hers, but the fact Colt has three lives compared to Juliana's one is nuts.

One Juliana invaded me and I just rushed her as soon as I died and annihilated her while she was weakened. I've also got an explosive sniper rifle I barely even need to aim that can easily two-shot her which has seen off countless invasions. Some invaders also just get bored and leave after a few minutes.

I'll be honest, I find invading rather tedious. Some Colts are happy to hide for ten hours in a corner, others have absurdly terrible connections that rubber band you around the place and it doesn't feel tense after you've circled the map a few times vainly looking for signs of activity.

Single player's neat, mind. I just think the invasions suck.

Oh yeah, and I stopped for the night because of my latest invasive bug - after trying to resume my game the menu UI wouldn't disappear. I could have handled the icons still being on screen, but the left stick just moved that circle thing you select options with. Couldn't continue, and I was pretty far into a mission so that was... yeah, that was annoying.

I only got invaded once by another player and she was absolutely unkillable, warping and sliding all over the place and totally impossible to hit. I'm guessing it's peer to peer, my game got extremely laggy so I wondered if they were the host and had a terrible connection, but that doesn't make a lot of sense. Surely the invadee is the host.

She invaded me a few times since while under AI control, and each time either threw one grenade then stood still and let me kill her (usually on a rooftop) or ran against a wall until I killed her. I'm pretty sure you could write her AI on a matchbox with a sharpie.

I've been running around with an infused silenced LIMP-10 for a couple of hours, I have half the visionary slabs and some upgrades infused, but I'm not using them. I'm not bothering to use any weapon trinkets or other weapons as this gun already kills everything in one headshot. Even the enemies wearing bike helmets etc. I really hope it starts to introduce challenges where I have to use the powers as tools to solve problems/puzzles in interesting ways.

Someone from Arkane said in an interview: “There is no difficulty option, but we have an adaptive difficulty system. As you can play the same maps several times at different moments of your play-through, we had to think about a system that can make the game challenging the more you play. If the NPCs accuracy is forgiven at the beginning, they will be more accurate, aggressive, and reactive the more you perform.”

I think I need to watch a video on how stealth is supposed to work. I've played all Dishonored/Prey content available and went full stealth in those, but I can't get the stealth in this to work at all. You throw something to distract them a couple of metres away and they don't hear it. You can walk right up to them and they don't react, they seem to have a cone of vision of about 30 degrees dead ahead. There's an area where a few of them are guarding a garage door which is operated by a crank. You can walk straight past them and turn the crank (which takes about 10 seconds of holding a button) and none of them react to the door they're guarding being slowly noisily opened. It's really odd.

Yeah there is something weird about the balancing.

single player I’m talking about, I’m beginning to learn that the game really isn’t that hard. That said you can get overwhelmed very quickly.

I guess all this came up in testing and they know what they’re doing.

Not sure this is for me. Just spent ages getting to and killing Harriet. Getting her nexus slab. Then it says to exit level if I want to infuse it. Well, duh. At this point I have 20,000 residuum. Seems my only way out is past a load of her followers, and while trying to nexus them I get swamped and lose all that progress. No slab for you, start again. Fuck that.

Also, why can’t I inspect my weapons/loadout mid-level? Unless I’m missing it in the awful menus that’s a terrible decision.

Trade-in is beckoning.

I had a great time with this last night. Managed to get and hold onto shift which I don't think I can now do without. It's that classic Dishonored teleporter and the stealth feels a lot more fun with it than without. Love the game's style. The voice actors for Colt and Juilianna are excellent. Wonderful art direction. Feels like a cross between Dishonored and The Prisoner with an amazing soundtrack to boot.

I'm assuming residuum (Or whatever it's called) persists between runs. I only just was able to sacrifice enough to keep shift in my run last night. Is there any way of seeing how much you have in a run except for the popup when you collect some?

4 hours ago, jonamok said:

Not sure this is for me. Just spent ages getting to and killing Harriet. Getting her nexus slab. Then it says to exit level if I want to infuse it. Well, duh. At this point I have 20,000 residuum. Seems my only way out is past a load of her followers, and while trying to nexus them I get swamped and lose all that progress. No slab for you, start again. Fuck that.

Also, why can’t I inspect my weapons/loadout mid-level? Unless I’m missing it in the awful menus that’s a terrible decision.

Trade-in is beckoning.

One half of your loadout is on the dpad (powers, grenades).

the other half (weapons) is on the right - hold down triangle?