Deathloop - Tales from the Loop

Mr Do 71

1 hour ago, Tomdominer said:

Trying to avoid spoilers, but can anyone give me a high level idea of how this is structured?

Is it a single player game with online elements / invasions? Also, do you play the same levels over and over again?

Sorry if this has been answered, just trying not to read anything!

Basically yes. Single player game with a little bit of optional online sprinkled on if you want it. There are several environments and you will be in all of them multiple times but I'll say no more on that. The intro is fairly on rails, but once you get to a certain point it opens up and you are given a lot of freedom to do things in whatever way you want to, again I'll say no more to avoid anything with a whiff of spoiler.

16 minutes ago, FiveFootNinja said:

Basically yes. Single player game with a little bit of optional online sprinkled on if you want it. There are several environments and you will be in all of them multiple times but I'll say no more on that. The intro is fairly on rails, but once you get to a certain point it opens up and you are given a lot of freedom to do things in whatever way you want to, again I'll say no more to avoid anything with a whiff of spoiler.

Thank you so much!

1 hour ago, jonamok said:

Anyone used the preorder DLC code, and if so, when/how do you get the free stuff, such as the different Colt skin, and the bonus trinket?

Once you get past the first hour or two the dlc stuff (and pvp) becomes available. There is a brief text tutorial (easily missed though) that pops up at some point that tells you it will be available once you’ve got to a certain point.

Perhaps needless to say, you’re not missing out on much currently.

Not sure how I'm finding this.

The aesthetic of the world is marvellous.

The music gives me real 60s Bond vibes.

I'm just finding the controls a little sluggish (even at 60fps) and the ragdoll physics on the faceless goons is leaving me a little cold.

I like it!

Using headphones I think the audio is excellent except for one element. Colts voice. It should in my mind sound much clearer, like a voice in your head but it sounds like someone 5-6 feet away outside.

Performance mode at 60 FPS looks great and runs flawlessly. The graphics mode has maybe a little slow down? But that feels like there is something very slightly off with the analogue stick tracking…it’s strange, might try another controller. 
The ray traced mode , in game, seems to make zero difference whatsoever to the graphics and reflections/lighting and the supposed 30FPS it is meant to deliver feels more like an unlocked but semi free synced frame rate….very odd.

Great dialogue and voice acting, lots of character. The first bit with the code I’m like YES this is what I want.

Bollocks. Just got a crash and lost a couple of hours of precious gaming time on the third section of the island. Explored everywhere, killed everyone, completed the mission, found a load of trinkets, a few secret areas, and then crashed while playing with some hidden machine. Fuck that for a wasted night. Early days, but somewhat demotivating.

This is the problem with games like this (end of mission saves only) on the PS5’s flakey OS.

Immediately very likeable indeed. Echoes of Dunwall, but groovy baby. The dialogue is good, there's loads of snappy chatter right from the get go. 

The PC version is certainly miles better than Dishonored 2 was at launch, but there's a lot of guff in there to toggle on and off. Most of the raytracing or adaptive resolution settings seem to make the game feel skippy and sluggish, I found it best to turn that stuff off. At that point the framerate is pretty all over the place, but it's always been above 60. I'm playing on a 3070 at 3840x1600 so it's getting a workout for sure. I could always cap it to whatever to get consistent performance between the indoor and outdoor scenes. Like with Dishonored 2 it drops a lot when you go outside, so you really have to configure it for that. There's always the adaptive resolution to play with, but it felt really odd when I turned it on, like the framerate and mouse sensitivity were linked. Ultrawide support seems perfect apart from defaulting to the wrong resolution the first time I fired it up. I also struggled with the gamma for ages, it seems to do that Metro 3 thing where there's a blueish filter over everything so you get raised blacks all over the place. But it's not a dealbreaker.

Hope to have a bit more to say about the game itself tomorrow. All I've noticed so far is Colt's animations are extremely good and the AI seems beyond stupid. I threw multiple firecrackers within a couple of metres of two enemies clearly set up to be "the firecracker tutorial" and neither of them flinched. But at least it's predictable, I assume it's that way for a reason.

So I deleted my save and started again.

Got to my apartment and then Started making my way back to the entrance and it hard froze on me.

I pressed the thouchpad and after about 20 seconds the game came back.

it then froze again so I did the same and it came back.

strange

There are definitely some problems with mouse input causing skipping and juddering, if it feels a bit weird regardless of framerate that's why. On the plus side, controller input is incredibly smooth and the game supports wired dualsense haptics on PC if you disable Steam input.

image.png.c5b9a24ede4cabca63f115de11fec86a.png

The consensus seems to be it plays terribly unless it's running at a locked 30, 60 or 120, and you ain't getting 120 on anything you can buy or build today unless you play it at 720p. So get it running at a locked 60fps (disable vsync and set the limiter in game to 60fps) and you should be good to go.

Gonna have a little blast at lunchtime, I'd rather be playing than tinkering but that's how it goes on PC sometimes.

2 minutes ago, Harrisown said:

So I deleted my save and started again.

Got to my apartment and then Started making my way back to the entrance and it hard froze on me.

I pressed the thoughpad and after about 20 seconds the game came back.

it then froze again so I did the same and it came back.

strange

PS5? If you look at the video I posted earlier, had something much the same happen to me multiple times.

Spoiler

Yep exact same thing on PS5.

On the plus side it’s not terminal and does go away.

happened twice then stopped

Be interesting to see what digital foundry make of this. From what I can tell ray tracing might only be shadows?

49 minutes ago, Harrisown said:

Yep exact same thing on PS5.

On the plus side it’s not terminal and does go away.

happened twice then stopped

Be interesting to see what digital foundry make of this. From what I can tell ray tracing might only be shadows?

I’ve had it freeze on me twice on PS5.

This game doesn’t half throw stuff at you. It’s quite overwhelming.

Some of the GUI elements I would have liked to be done differently like the weapon stuff. Also the controls could have had a little tweaking.

Like a classic noob I’m pressing trigger to slid someone only for it to shoot a gun and alert everyone.

Anyone else notice the squealing sound when loading?

Properly getting into this now. The mechanics are great, and this is coming from someone who hated Majora's Mask. My only real issues currently are technical ones; the occasional 20-second freeze that other have mentioned, and the fact I've been waiting for 10 minutes to invade someone's game as Julianna with no matches at all.

Someone invaded me. I caught them with their back to a healing station and unleaded a chaingun into their back until I ran out of bullets (only had 40 in the one mag). They turned around, evidently getting bored of getting shot so much, and double tapped me with a shotgun. Then, since I had no ammo left, I got wrecked upon revive.

Not a great start to the invasion mechanic.

Edit: No surprise, the lag was so bad that it took five seconds to pick up a healing item in a subsequent invasion. Fuck me, that's poor.

52 minutes ago, Couk said:

and the fact I've been waiting for 10 minutes to invade someone's game as Julianna with no matches at all.

It takes a while for the invasion to unlock so give it a few hours and you’ll likely find it a lot busier.

Righto. Not to bang on too much, but hopefully this is helpful. There's a Digital Foundry guy in the Resetera thread now. He says:

Turn off GSYNC/freesync any kind of variable refresh rate in your Nvidia/AMD control panel. 

Turn ON Vsync in the game.

Set FSR to whichever you want (quality, balanced etc). And turn motion blur off because it's yucky. You might have more luck with adaptive resolution, but that didn't seem to yield good results for me as the framerate varied too much.

That seems to have made it more playable for me, let me know how you get on.