Deathloop - Tales from the Loop

Mr Do 71

28 minutes ago, jonamok said:

So, what slabs do people actually find useful?

I only have three:

Hide contents

Shift: Absolutely essential for navigation, finding secrets, and getting the drop on eternalists and turrets.

Nexus: Not really adding much to my mostly stealthy headshot play. Barely used it as a result.

Karnesis: Only just got it but not sure in what situations it would beat a single round or burst of gunfire to the face.

What should I go for next that has good synergy with my first slab, above?

Towards the end I was relying heavily on two in particular:

Spoiler

Nexus and invisibility. Especially once they're upgraded, it's a ridiculously powerful combo.

5 minutes ago, Pob said:

Can someone who has this explain how item/weapon/power selection works in this? I've always found it to be the weakest aspect of immersive sims on consoles and it's one of the main reasons I'm waiting for the Xbox version - so I can take advantage of the Elite controller paddles for weapon selection.

From watching videos it looks like you use the d-pad to select what's in your left hand. Tap left to select gadget, tap up to select super-power, and maybe tap right to dual-wield your second gun? 

It also looks like you keep the d-pad direction held down to bring up radial menus that allow you to change which gadget or power is pre-selected. Is that correct? Does that stop/slow the gameplay? I guess not if there's potentially another player on the map with you.

Right hand looks like it's standard FPS stuff - L2 to aim-down sights, R2 to fire, Triangle to swap between your two guns and R1 to melee.

TBH, if I've got that right it sounds like quite a good system, as long as I have map d-pad left and d-pad up to the paddles!

Yep, that's it. I don't find it necessary to bring up the radial menus much. Cycling through two or three options is just as quick.

3 minutes ago, BadgerFarmer said:

Yep, that's it. I don't find it necessary to bring up the radial menus much. Cycling through two or three options is just as quick.

ah okay, so you tap the d-pad to cycle through the available options, MGSV-style? And whatever is in your left hand gets deployed with L1? Makes sense.

10 minutes ago, Pob said:

ah okay, so you tap the d-pad to cycle through the available options, MGSV-style? Makes sense.

Yeah, tap up to cycle through your two equipped powers, tap left to cycle between two tools (hacking tool and grenade), or right to toggle dual wielding. Triangle cycles between three guns.

Although that reminds me that the grenade has different modes, which I completely forgot about after the early stages. I can't even remember how you change between those.

@jonamok Shift + Machete is my default setup (my Dishonored habits are engrained deep :D ) with a bit of rapier for long range sniping, tasty shotgun for getting in people's grills,  and a minigun for general panic/crowd control. However I also got Nexus and Karnesis last night too so will have an experiment later hopefully. But mostly I'll be shifting and backstabbing I expect.

My Juliana build is all about the invisible low recoil, quick loading, SMGing.

@BadgerFarmer Fairly sure you just hold left on the D when selecting grenade and it gives you the options but I too haven't done it for a while.

I'm really enjoying this so far. It has a really interesting way of opening up from the first moments and while there's a lot to take on board there's a sense of excitement rather than confusion. I also think it really deserves respect for its tone, writing and performance. It has a really clear idea of what it's aiming for and it hits it beautifully. It could have been trite but it's incredibly engaging and the interplay is often genuinely funny - a rare thing in a game.

Yep that's it. 

Also a tip for people out there - for some bizarre reason the crosshair isn't in the middle of the screen, there's an offset option to put it back in the middle hidden in the options.

16 minutes ago, Moz said:

Also a tip for people out there - for some bizarre reason the crosshair isn't in the middle of the screen, there's an offset option to put it back in the middle hidden in the options.

That's an EXCELLENT tip. I couldn't work out why I couldn't consistently tag enemies!

This comes together after a few hours.

Shift changes the game 😍

I've got that (with Airborne and Shift upgrades) and Karnsis now. Worked out how to kill 2 in a love nest too, but don't get the times out of it :(

*HOTFIX IS OUT ON STEAM* 

There's a hotfix out for the beta branch on Steam that seems to have fixed the mouse look jitter for me. Use code juliannashotme to access it.

From resetera. Day off today, so will test and report back. 

Just had my first scripted fight with Juliana on the roof outside my flat. Once I killed her it said to check her remains for a slab, but I’ve checked everywhere and can’t find anything.

Bug or am I missing something?

23 minutes ago, Mystacon said:

Just had my first scripted fight with Juliana on the roof outside my flat. Once I killed her it said to check her remains for a slab, but I’ve checked everywhere and can’t find anything.

Bug or am I missing something?

look up - it’s usually hovering In the air over the body

Started this tonight on PS5, and it’s great so far.

But yet again, the HDR implementation is appalling (see also: Cyberpunk 2077 and Red Dead Redemption 2 on release). The blacks are crushed and there seems to be no HDR calibration settings. Really disappointing that some devs still can’t get their heads around this.

The more I play this the more I like it.

Killed an invader this evening. Got a big fat reward. Had headphones on and the sounds was pretty great and could hear her coming up behind me.

Currently just going into loops to get upgrades and kill stuff and I’m finding weapons that have extra effects like a silenced machine pistol thing.

The frame rate just makes it a pleasure to play but I still don’t have the muscle memory for the controls. I really think they should have had a customisable d pad for selection of powers and maybe a hold d pad option for a secondary set for things like the hackythingy.

Perhaps I’ll offer my services next time they make a game.

Excellent stuff.

Loving this!! :sealclap:

Just shut down the PS5 after another really good late session again tonight.

I’ve now killed all the visionaries at least once (although one didn’t go quite to plan)…

Spoiler

Fia and I both died in a reactor explosion while I was fighting her!

The final night area of the loop today saw me carrying out a new slab, two decent new guns, a stack of good trinkets and 37250 residium only for a Juliana invasion to happen literally just as I was about to press the button to enter the tunnels.

Cue a squeaky bum battle (with her going invisible all the time and me freezing up a bit with a healthy dose of “please don’t mess this up and lose your stuff” syndrome creeping in) but I managed to hold my own in the end and got a double kill (with reprise coming to my rescue!).

I ended up with all my previous stuff plus another 10k residium, a very nice ultra-zoom sniper rifle, some purple trinkets (for the above rifle) and even a slab upgrade thrown in for good measure.

I was bricking it the entire fight but what a rush! Definitely the most soulsborne-esq feeling so far being able to survive and then cash in a decent haul. 

Enjoying this game a lot. :) 

1 hour ago, Popo said:

How is the lookfeel? Is it similar to Prey? 

It feels like a very polished 1960s dishonored, but with more complex levels (which they have to be, because you return again and again to them) which vary over the course of each day.

There’s only one hack where I feel they’ve put an invisible wall up.

Spoiler

An upgraded shift + airborne can jump onto the manor wall at night pretty easily, and can’t during the rest of the day as far as I can tell.

4 hours ago, Popo said:

How is the lookfeel? Is it similar to Prey? 

Silky like doom. Field of view needs to be set back a touch.

it is a lot like Prey in terms of feel but better.

they don’t quite have that precision you would like but I love it.

I don’t think I’m stuck as such but I’m at the point where I don’t know what to do next and some of the leads I’m following don’t get me anywhere.

So I have one that suggests two of the externals are getting it on and

Spoiler

Charlie and fia. So I follow that lead at updam at noon and it’s just Charlie in the same place as before and no one else. Also I don’t seem to be able to give any commands to 2bit despite that being something to follow up on.

3 minutes ago, Strafe said:

I don’t think I’m stuck as such but I’m at the point where I don’t know what to do next and some of the leads I’m following don’t get me anywhere.

So I have one that suggests two of the externals are getting it on and

Hide contents

Charlie and fia. So I follow that lead at updam at noon and it’s just Charlie in the same place as before and no one else. Also I don’t seem to be able to give any commands to 2bit despite that being something to follow up on.

Spoiler

Isn't it the afternoon? Noon and Afternoon are two different timezones. 

Also, you have to find their bunker from the image, then do another questy thing to get in. The image part is one of the few that doesn't automatically lead you all the way there.

Spoiler

It's along the shoreline on the right of where you enter.

2Bit can't be commanded in the same day as you get a quest for him. He's really only used for one thing regarding

Spoiler

Aleksis

as I recall, maybe something small after that.