IGNORED

Do you care much for the teraflop?

Meat

Do you care much for the teraflop?  

87 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

In the eve’s gloaming we’ll hear of fabulous feats of silicon from MS. How important is power in deciding your next gen console?

I must admit it’s probably the main factor for me. I’m keeping a close eye on E3 tonight. If some of the latest rumours on the next xbox are true I may indeed be compelled to switch allegiance, and believe me it’s an allegiance.

I'm betting most games released on current gen don't use all the power available, you can run most on more modestly specced PCs fine.

It feels like power isn't a barrier to creativity anymore, and the graphical arms race is for a smaller and smaller chunk of the market made up of half a dozen megastudios at this point.

I tend to buy every console so it really makes no difference to me.

However I can’t pretend I don’t get turned on a little bit by the Digital Foundry videos that spout numbers and specifications I don’t really understand. 

I mean, if you're going to drop 50 quid on a game and 400 on a console, why not plump for the choice which is going to give you the best experience? Ultimately though, for me, it always comes down to the exclusives and I'm just a bigger fan of Sony's exclusives than MS's in general. It'll be interesting to see how things shake out power wise. i think the assumption was that Scarlett was going to eat up PS5, but from the just announced specs, I think they're going to be in roughly in the same ballpark again.

I'd rather have the most powerful console for the multiplatform titles for the sake of good performance. Nowadays the (getting on a bit by now) PS4 is the base level, so playing those titles on an X or PC usually ensures a solid framerate.

But features like BC are also a big factor for me. The idea that I can simply continue playing all the Xbox original, Xbox 360, and XB1 titles on my new XB2 is very appealing. I can immediately replace the XB1 with the XB2 without losing anything.

Game Pass is also a major factor all of a sudden: I just bought 3 years of game pass for 1 euro (see the game pass thread) which means I have access to the hundreds of titles already on there AND every single Microsoft published title on the XB2. That was a very smart and cunning move by MS.

23 hours ago, PC Master Race said:

Having the most power and best versions of multiplatform games were very important, until the machine of choice no longer had those.

This is how I felt with the PS4, arriving as the power king, a demon made out of ram, GDDR5. One of the main reasons I chose PS4 this gen is the 50% greater peak shader throughput vs Xbone.

Then the One X arrived, 6TF, and I became a jealous monster (green, greed). My irrational Sony allegiance and xbox’s less impressive catalogue managed to hold me back.

But I want revenge. The diseased, indoctrinated part of me that is. I want the PS5 to be the most powerful one. That way, the thought of it sitting on my table idle, but most powerful, as I’m at work will bring me real joy and that’s where a lot of my positive feelings in a console ultimately lie if I’m being honest.

On 10/06/2019 at 06:25, Mr. Gerbik said:

Game Pass is also a major factor all of a sudden: I just bought 3 years of game pass for 1 euro (see the game pass thread) which means I have access to the hundreds of titles already on there AND every single Microsoft published title on the XB2. That was a very smart and cunning move by MS.

Indeed! I'm pretty much locked in for a bit with MS too... I've been using GamePass for a while now and its great... lots of games to try and all MS's AAA games included.

Not really that fussed about specs that much anymore. Great if the console you chose is a bit more powerful than the other but had both the PS4 and XBox One this gen and bought/played pretty much all of the 3rd party content on the XBox One... just prefer the controller. GamePass, Backward Compatibility also helped.

These days its not just about raw power. Its all about the services too IMHO. Both NG consoles will be pretty much similar spec anyway.

Saying all that the X was a nice addition though as it allowed me to play some of my existing Xbox games better... :) Really enjoyed playing FH4 at 60fps for example. Great to have options I guess....

13 hours ago, Droo said:

How many bits are we on now?  I stopped counting at 64bit. 

The Snes and Megadrive were 16 bit, then came the ps1 at 32 bit but in the same gen the N64 was pumping out 64 bits of raw power so the PS2 had to go 128-bit and continuing this convention the PS5 and Xbox Two will be 1024-bit machines with Mode 7 capability.