rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Blue

Drinking Water, Filtering etc.

Just wondering if anyone has delved much into purification and/or filtration of their tap water and how they go about it. I've used a Brita filter system but it seems they're a bit rubbish really. Have got a Berkey system on the way, which claims to remove everything nasty, yet retain the mineral content, which seems a little implausible, but who knows. Not me.

Are there are any simple home water-testing kits beyond the TDS/EC meters that address mineral content rather than just non-specific dissolved solids? Also, if mineral replacement is required, can anyone recommend a good product/method?

Ta.

• Upvote 1

Blue! Long time no see, how are you?

I had an under-sink filter in my last place, and purely for convenience it's a lot nicer than using Brita jugs. I have never thought to test (or even consider) the output beyond taste, to be honest, sorry.  We got replacements (6 month per filter recommendation) from here: https://www.uk-water-filters.co.uk/

3 hours ago, milko said:

Blue! Long time no see, how are you?

I had an under-sink filter in my last place, and purely for convenience it's a lot nicer than using Brita jugs. I have never thought to test (or even consider) the output beyond taste, to be honest, sorry.  We got replacements (6 month per filter recommendation) from here: https://www.uk-water-filters.co.uk/

Hey milko, good to see you. I'm tip top thank you for asking.

Yeah I'm doing it mainly for the taste too, but I figure the more shit I filter out of it, the better it will taste.

My Berkey arrived today and, much as it looks like a tea urn, the water is utterly fantastic. Supposedly the filters last up to 11 years which makes it the cheapest filtration system in the long run despite the steep initial outlay.

Berkey.jpg

ooh blimey, that's a level up for sure. Maybe it's a good thing that we'd have nowhere to keep it until a forthcoming kitchen remodel.

14 minutes ago, milko said:

ooh blimey, that's a level up for sure. Maybe it's a good thing that we'd have nowhere to keep it until a forthcoming kitchen remodel.

Ha, it's quite dinky really but does look massive there. You keeping alright?

On 10/06/2019 at 17:50, Blue said:

Ha, it's quite dinky really but does look massive there. You keeping alright?

Yeah, I’m good, cheers. I recall us doing some physio-at-remove consultation a good while ago, so on that score I’m really good, albeit via some fairly hefty shoulder surgery a couple of years ago. Now stronger than ever before with a (touch wood) looked-after back and core and gym habit and so on and on. 

• Upvote 1