rllmuk
deKay

Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair 2019

Let us know. This is next on my list for PS4 after Bloodstained! I love the first game even though it does have its faults. This one looks more DKC, so fingers crossed!

I don't think it's very good, unless it gets significantly better very soon. It just feels like a phone game but hard. 

We were looking for an excuse to stop playing. 

I bloody hate it. There's far too much weight to the platforming, and the secret coins are a bit of a joke to get, since they're often so reliant on stuff like jumping on an enemy's head to jump higher - which is fine, but there'll be like one of them, and if you miss, then fuck you better die and go back. Or they'll - in the case of Gasping Glades - Grown - be something there's very little chance you'll make the jump for first time, and if you don't, then you better restart that level entirely, because the previous coin will be locked behind a gate that you can't get the G object for anymore.

I like the overworld, and that's about it.

• Upvote 1

DKC was quite heavy feeling though, especially coming from the Mario games. Hmmm...mixed opinions on this one. Thanks for the feedback all. :)  I may consider getting it later in the year when I've played through the stuff I have. I do still like the look of this one though - old school platforming used to be my speciality genre until (Mario aside) it all but disappeared. The first Yooka-Laylee is a pretty good game despite the rough edges and I'm having a lot of fun with it. This 2.5D take on things looks a bit more polished and seems to have more flow, well from what I've seen of it anyway.

Thanks again!

DKC was quite heavy feeling, but the dude's a gorilla. In this you're a weird lizard thing. That weighs as much as a gorilla.

It's not just that, either. Enemy variety is massively lacking, and the level design is often absolutely useless. There's so many times where invincible spiders will block your path, with you having to wait until they decide to go back up their web string so you can jump past. That's not always a problem, of course - you can jump past them or roll under - but it's incredibly over-used.

There's the whole Tonics thing, too. Why bother? They just seem to make sure you get less feathers, which means you have less to spend on things like keys to open parts of the map - which is another shit decision.

• Empathy 1

On 02/01/2020 at 17:23, Lumpy said:

DKC was quite heavy feeling though, especially coming from the Mario games. Hmmm...mixed opinions on this one. Thanks for the feedback all. :)  I may consider getting it later in the year when I've played through the stuff I have. I do still like the look of this one though - old school platforming used to be my speciality genre until (Mario aside) it all but disappeared. The first Yooka-Laylee is a pretty good game despite the rough edges and I'm having a lot of fun with it. This 2.5D take on things looks a bit more polished and seems to have more flow, well from what I've seen of it anyway.

Thanks again!

Castle of Heart on the switch any use to you as a rec?  Not played it but still on offer for £1.34 in the sale till monday.

Anyway keeping this to play after finishing Batman Arkham city.

I just don't know about this. I do know it's nowhere near as good as the recent DKC games, or the Raymen, and the movement/physics are off in a way I can't properly articulate but I sort of enjoy it when it's not making me really angry. Like just now for instance when I stomped an enemy who spiralled around and into the screen blocking sight of the character I was controlling so I walked into his mate. Cute? No, fucking annoying. It just doesn't get the balance right for me, and I loved those  tediously hard levels at the end of Tropical Freeze that all my pals hated.

Anyway when I'm not moaning and dying and I'm actually having a good time with it I like trying to collect all the coins I can before moving on - even in Chapter 2 though there are a couple I just can't fathom the location of. Are there tonics later that unlock abilities required to obtain some of them or is it possible to get them all without any? I'm hoping it's just me not exploring/thinking enough.

Got this today, timed nicely with a long weekend off work!

So far only up to about level 4 I think - 

Spoiler

(very early on, just froze a level)

but the feel is really brilliant. You can wring some nice speed out of the characters and I can imagine that like Sonic and DK, once you are used to the levels you get pretty swish at it. Very up my street so far, just the kind of platform game I love. Now awaiting the sucker punch lol. The only thing I can think of so far is the collision detection on some of the floating baddies/collectables, but I'll learn to get my timing right for those. Funny script too. The first game is good for that, but this is even better so far.

Top!