rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
deKay

Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair 2019

Just now, Mr. Gerbik said:

O do like the idea of a modern Rare style 3D platformer but the first one was a bit meh.

It's not a Rare style 3D platformer. It's 2D.

Is this a sequel to Yooka-Laylee?

No, Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair isn’t a direct sequel. We’ve got lots planned for the future of the Yooka-Laylee universe, but we want to approach each with a fresh take, as each game is an opportunity for us to add new mechanics and gameplay that isn’t necessarily limited to what’s happened before.

2 minutes ago, Diggity said:

Its both

It's not.

The "3D overworld" is still 2D. Just 2D from above (like LTTP and the GBA Banjo game) rather than from the side.

Yeah, this is nothing like the Rare style 3D platformers.

It looks like a cross between Donkey Kong Country and Crash Bandicoot.

16 minutes ago, Isaac said:

Yeah, this is nothing like the Rare style 3D platformers.

It looks like a cross between Donkey Kong Country and Crash Bandicoot.

22 minutes ago, deKay said:

It's not a Rare style 3D platformer. It's 2D.

Oops, I'm on 4G right now so had not watched the trailer :D Still, the point stands: hope it's better than their previous game

Meh. As a 2D platformer it has too much competition. Too many amazing alternatives to play instead.

At least a 3D collect-a-thon made sense to an audience starved of games of that ilk.

I really enjoyed Yooka-Laylee so this was pretty disappointing. It might be a great 2D platformer but I've a million already.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Trumpets said:

2.5D

Don't make me come back there.

OH WAIT I CAN'T BECAUSE IT'S ONLY 2D.

• Upvote 2

I was late to the party with the first game and thought it was absolutely dreadful. Maybe it improves as it goes along because I never bothered going past the first world. Huge disappointment. 

I’m willing to be proved wrong but I can’t help thinking a 2D game will just magnify the flaws. Like everyone’s said, we’re utterly spoilt for great 2D platformers these days. 

11 minutes ago, Made of Ghosts said:

I was late to the party with the first game and thought it was absolutely dreadful.

I played it for the first time, and completed it, last week. All I wanted was another Banjo-Kazooie though, and it scratched that itch well.

31 minutes ago, deKay said:

Don't make me come back there.

OH WAIT I CAN'T BECAUSE IT'S ONLY 2D.

2D suggests it's sprite based, this is a 3D game with movement limited to a 2D plane, AKA 2.5D.

Get with the lingo, grandad.

1 hour ago, Trumpets said:

2D suggests it's sprite based, this is a 3D game with movement limited to a 2D plane, AKA 2.5D.

Get with the lingo, grandad.

I've always associated 2.5D with games that are mostly 2D but have limited z-axis movement - such as scrolling beat-em ups like Final Fight, Streets of Rage and foreground/background switching like Castlevania IV and Revenge or Shinobi.

Brush up on your history kiddo!

• Upvote 1

I know 2D sprite-based visuals are hard, but... I much prefer 2D sprites. Look at Katana ZeroCelesteShantae... :wub: That said, I appreciate people continuing to make “fixed plane” 2D games, so I’ll reserve judgement until later.

As for my own definition of 2.5D, I’d use the Klonoa example: a 3D-rendered environment (actual 3D, not pre-rendered sprites) that limits movement to the 2D plane. :) 

2.5D is a popular term but being real here a game is either 3D or 2D. This may be 3D in graphics but if the play takes place on a single axis it might as well be called 2D by design. If you can turn the character to face other directions and interact with a 3rd axis then it is 3D. There is no in-between.

2.5D had been used long enough to describe axis or spline locked games with 3D assets such as Pandemonium, NiGHTS, Klonoa, etc. 

All good. 

Then along came a bunch of articles recently about the upcoming Oddworld Soulstorm. In which, Lorne Lanning has been calling the game 2.9D........ :huh::facepalm:

Anyhoo, this looks like it has potential, but in its current state, levels and platforming look really dull, not entirely sure why. Also, his lame "huh" that's repeated for almost every jump in the trailer is already annoying. 

I was disappointed with the first game after backing it on Kickstarter. This one looks more interesting, but at the same time I can't help thinking it's a poor man's Donkey Kong Country Returns.