rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Zero9X

When They See Us - Netflix - Limited Series

Anyone else watching this?

It's a dramatisation of the Central Park Five case. Absolutely disgusting and horrifying what these children and victim went through.

This has been excellent in execution. Reminds me of "The Night Of" from HBO.

Hot off the heels of Chernobyl which I thought was the best thing I've seen all year. Then this follows right up. Watch it ASAP!

• Upvote 3

Yeah - a few of us have been talking in the main Netflix thread about it. It’s an excellent mini-series. In particular, I thought the performance of Jharrel Jerome as Korey was outstanding, especially in episode 4.

Just started this tonight, one ep in and I'm already massively fucked off by the behaviour of the police towards the kids they have so far arrested. Can feel this is going to be an excellent watch though, due to it having Ava Du Vernay behind it but I'm sure it's going to be a testing watch as well.

Lets also not forget Donald Trump's contribution to this miscarriage of justice though (obviously being only on the first ep, I have no idea whether this is brought up within the series itself) but let's just stick it on the list of indications of what a despicable and racist specimen the fat orange cunt is.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-comment/the-central-park-five-criminal-justice-and-donald-trump

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, multiclunk said:

Just started this tonight, one ep in and I'm already massively fucked off by the behaviour of the police towards the kids they have so far arrested. Can feel this is going to be an excellent watch though, due to it having Ava Du Vernay behind it but I'm sure it's going to be a testing watch as well.

Lets also not forget Donald Trump's contribution to this miscarriage of justice though (obviously being only on the first ep, I have no idea whether this is brought up within the series itself) but let's just stick it on the list of indications of what a despicable and racist specimen the fat orange cunt is.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-comment/the-central-park-five-criminal-justice-and-donald-trump

Heh, just wait till episode 2. 

• Upvote 1

This whole thing just infuriated me.because I know firsthand there are too many unscrupulous people that should never be involved in the so called justice system. If you have to lie through your arse to get a result, that is not justice. Linda Fairstein has been getting here left, right, and centre since this came out and the lying bitch deserves every bit of it.

• Upvote 2

I've not been able to see this or the ken burns documentary, but now that it has come out it seems that finding a balanced view on what happened is really difficult because the internet has been deluged with either articles accusing the police and prosecutor of framing the five; or of articles denouncing the five kids and saying either that they did it or even if they didn't they were up to no good. I remember reading about this case a long time ago and coming to the conclusion that they were wrongfully arrested for this specific crime, but might have been guilty of other crimes in the park that night. I think (from reading the latest deluge of polarised reports) that the evidence is fairly clear that they were wrongfully convicted; but is there evidence that they were guilty of other crimes in the park that night? Or is that also in dispute?

• Downvote 1

The balanced view is that it's completely irrelevant.

Smearing people because they were 'up to no good', and as such may as well have been guilty of a fraudulent accusation is some bullshit that we've pulled for far too long.

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, schmojo said:

The balanced view is that it's completely irrelevant.

Smearing people because they were 'up to no good', and as such may as well have been guilty of a fraudulent accusation is some bullshit that we've pulled for far too long.

Well yeah I agree in general. But 'up to no good' and brutal assault (which seems to be among the allegations that were made) seem sufficiently different to me to support a more nuanced view. And certainly in terms of my own interest into what happened and why I don't think the wrongful conviction should eliminate any discussion of what they did in the park that evening. But as I say at the moment the internet is so polarised it seems to be impossible to find the actual evidence which is why I was asking here. 

On 13/06/2019 at 22:47, Fierce Poodle said:

That’s nothing. I was a complete wreck during episode four.

The shit that Korey had to go through is just...and then the fact the the guy that actually did it confessed after he found out that Korey was still in jail 13 years later, Jesus.

the interview Oprah did was good but it was heartbreaking because you can tell he is still so affected by this shit and more than likely will always be. No amount of money can get past and make up for that shit.

• Upvote 2

Two episodes watched. Not quite sure how I managed it without putting my foot through the tv. Rarely have I watched something that makes me both so sad and so angry. 

Just finished watching this. Episode three didn’t really hold my attention, it seemed to drag, but episode four was brilliant tv. I too was seething Stoph and tears got me as well, complete wreck. I really don’t have the words to describe how appallingly these boys were treated.

For anybody else who has the mind-blowing temerity to want to find out more about the case and doesn't want to get negged, here are some interesting links that I have been able to find: 

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/a27574472/when-they-see-us-central-park-5-false-confessions/

https://twitter.com/davidhth/status/1138441102422413314

https://qz.com/1641025/court-filing-shows-lack-of-evidence-in-central-park-five-case-2/

https://www.amny.com/news/central-park-five-1.32018864

https://www.villagevoice.com/2002/11/19/a-journey-through-the-tangled-case-of-the-central-park-jogger/ (which contains an interesting description of Donald Trump from 2002...)

(tl;dr version is that the only evidence for the other stuff that they are alleged to have got up to on the night in question is also limited to the police confessions, which have been shown to be unreliable.)

• Upvote 1

This was utterly fantastic. Completely horrible of course, but easily the best thing I've seen on TV this year. 

I actually put up with an hour of Oprah afterwards to see what the guys were like now. :(

• Upvote 1