IGNORED

New Worzel Gummidge

JohnC

BBC and Mackenzie Crook are making two hour-long Worzel movies for broadcast around Christmas. Crook is writing, directing and starring. Apparently many of The Detectorists team are involved.

The first film, The Scarecrow Of Scatterbrook, sees two young strangers, Susan and John, arrive in the village of Scatterbrook, where they encounter Gummidge. Their world is sent spinning into confusion when they realize Gummidge comes to life. The only person more shocked is Worzel, when he discovers that the children are not in fact fellow scarecrows but humans.

The second film, The Green Man, welcomes another mysterious arrival to Scatterbrook. The Green Man is the creator of scarecrows and keeper of scarecrow lore. He isn’t at all happy that Worzel is consorting with humans.

y3h4qDW.jpg

5 minutes ago, Mawdlin said:

Couldn't care less about this crappy, crude and outright creepy character. And then you mention the people behind The Detectorists are producing it and I can't wait.

Completely agree.

And anyone who hasn't watched Detectorists yet needs to have word with themselves :quote:

I can imagine the original casting ideas behind this...

"Ideally we need someone who has a bumpkin accent, looks like a tramp, has a childlike mentality and the ability to "change heads" for different personalities, like going from a lovable buffoon to someone giving 'harassment causing fear of violence'.."

Justin-Lee-Collins.jpg.1cb9295cf20ee93fbd32b1aaa1aa80ce.jpg

2 hours ago, Darren said:

I look forward to the theme tune being a slow, breathy, ukulele based version of this.

this is worse that the time I remembered there were lyrics to the buck rogers end credits theme tune.

1 hour ago, catinthehat said:

I can't believe nobody's asked for more info.  And Youtube links.  So I'll do it.

What?  When?  How?  Why?

Links plx?

It was filmed in my village. I'm in one episode on the back of a trailer being pulled by a tractor. No idea which one as I havnt seen it in like 35 years... One of my earliest memories is John Pertwee chasing my brother down the road in full Wurzel gear, with my brother screaming his head off (he was 3) 

11 minutes ago, SeanR said:

this is worse that the time I remembered there were lyrics to the buck rogers end credits theme tune.

I loved that version! I saw it on the "film" version at the pictures, and IIRC it had Wilma acting all Bond-girl-ish which made a significant and fundamental impression on 11 year old me.

Actually come to think of it, that might be the only reason I liked it.

Buck Rogers had space rockers, hilarious misinterpretations of 20th century items, the Buck Kick and Tigerman.

But yes, it will be mostly remembered for Wilma Deering and Princess Ardala.

As to Worzel Gummidge - why not make Sean Pertwee a threatening version of the character?

• 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...