rllmuk
Keyboard Koala

Luigi's Mansion 3 - Happy Halloween

Just now, MattyP said:

Smyths toys are doing it for £40 if you pre-order and collect instore...

I’m also lazy. Argos is in our Sainsburys, which I go to most days. The nearest Smyths is significantly less convenient for me. 

1 minute ago, AngryH said:

I’m also lazy. Argos is in our Sainsburys, which I go to most days. The nearest Smyths is significantly less convenient for me. 

Just gone back to the Smyths site offer no longer available anyway bah...should have ordered last night ah well...

Pre-ordered for £39 from CD-Keys. Went digital as I'm trying to stick to my plan this year of going digital only.

Can't be faffed with changing carts on the Switch and also selling the things on later... tend to hold onto the games anyway...

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Nequests said:

Nintendo are easily the worst of the big three when it comes to control scheme and accessibility options. 

I can’t say I’ve ever had a problem in the past, certainly not with invert look.

38 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I can’t say I’ve ever had a problem in the past, certainly not with invert look.

I recall Sunshine and Wind Waker not having camera options. 

From the Ars review:

A couple of potential dealbreakers loom over this praise, however.

The first is the adherence to the Luigi's Mansion controls of old, which no one will mistake for the simplicity of a side-scrolling Mario game. In fact, there's enough going on here to make 2017's Super Mario Odyssey, and its mix of camera manipulation and cap-hopping intensity, seem like a cakewalk. Players will often need to use two joysticks to move Luigi's feet (left stick) and his horizontal and vertical aim (right stick). There's no first-person view, so getting the hang of this relative aim can be tricky enough during the slowest portions of the game, let alone the times where a tricky boss will require perfectly timed flashlight bangs or plunger launches.

Luigi's Mansion is generally a slow series, so those twitchy, tricky moments are exceptions, not the rule.

And Nintendo keeps the game's camera fixed, so you don't need to wave a joystick around to see where you're going. But all of Luigi's abilities are mapped across every button on a Switch gamepad, sometimes in duplicate, yet a few of the button assignments are mapped in ways that require clawing your hands in order to do them simultaneously—in particular, to rotate Luigi's body while he's shining the spectral flashlight. You'll "strafe-walk" whenever shining a beam or using the vacuum unless you hold down a second button.

This is where the game's serious lack of accessibility options rears its ugly, goo-covered head. The worst is the lack of remappable buttons. Luigi's Mansion 3includes multiple button mappings for certain actions so that you can pick between a standard button or a trigger to, say, turn on your flashlight's pulse beam. But I found almost immediately that I wanted certain actions set to those triggers so that I could keep my thumbs on both joysticks more often—since Luigi must frequently twirl-and-taze or spin-and-suck—but Nintendo won't allow it.

There's also the lack of aim inversion options, which I mostly point out because, by default, the joystick controls are non-inverted (press down to aim the flashlight down), yet the included motion-sensitive controls are inverted (pull your Switch backward to aim the flashlight upward). And you can't change either style.

Though it’s still their Must Own Switch game of 2019. 

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/10/luigis-mansion-3-review-the-most-nintendo-game-from-nintendo-in-years/2/

Looks like I’ll be playing with gyro controls!

• Upvote 1

Just got my code issued from CD-,Keys and the game is downloading whist I type 

For those wondering you do also get the 250 bonus coins from Nintendo too (worth £5 apparently) so worth ordering through CD keys rather than the official Nintendo store.

*Edit you get 250 coins and these are worth a penny each so £2.50. Apologies for the misprice I read somewhere they were worth £5. Seem to have £3.31 in my Nintendo bank account at the moment so still a nice bonus....

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, cassidy said:

Don't fucking tempt me now forum. I'm happily ignoring the games existence. 

He said reading the thread. 

Its games like these that keep me playing games TBH... :) Go for it you only live once.... :D

• Upvote 1

£12 left till payday Thursday and I don’t do overdrafts anymore so I can resist. 

I will resist..... I’ve enjoyed all the games in the series so i will get it soon. 

LM was a launch title and I got it at midnight launch with my little purple GameCube. 

• Upvote 1

Dont understand why they have to release this on Halloween day? Most kids are on half term from last week, that is 2 weeks of peak trade in time for christmas.

Its not as if the game isnt ready the pirates have had it for over a week.

3 hours ago, Pavey said:

Have any Shopto customers had their card charged and shipping email yet?

Just checked. I paid for this months ago. Says my order is processing with a 1p balance to pay. FFS. This happened before and took them days to sort out.

3 hours ago, MattyP said:

Just got my code issued from CD-,Keys and the game is downloading whist I type 

For those wondering you do also get the 250 bonus coins from Nintendo too (worth £5 apparently) so worth ordering through CD keys rather than the official Nintendo store.

Out of interest how long did it take them to release the code to you? I’m seriously considering it myself. 

1 hour ago, momomo said:

Dont understand why they have to release this on Halloween day? Most kids are on half term from last week, that is 2 weeks of peak trade in time for christmas.

Its not as if the game isnt ready the pirates have had it for over a week.

It’s a seasonal release and good for marketing. That the game was ready a week earlier doesn’t mean they can throw months worth of marketing buildup in the bin by sending mixed messages.

There’s a definite appeal on having this brand new game for actual Halloween, I think.

• Upvote 3

50 minutes ago, Popo said:

Out of interest how long did it take them to release the code to you? I’m seriously considering it myself. 

To answer my own question, it was instant. Preloading now!

• Upvote 1

Started the game yesterday, got it in the post.

The controls are not made for me. I still find it very difficult to aim - but then again I had the same problem in LM1 and got through it well at the end.

The best part so far is Luigi running with his desperate tiny feet.

Haven't played for very long though, as I was very tired. Will play more today.

I watched this for an hour on twitch last night. Graphics looked great, controls looked horrendous. The streamer kept trying to fire plungers at stuff but they ended up going all over the shop and constantly missed what they were aiming for .

The gameplay itself looked really boring. I think theyv milked the franchise as far as it can go now Shame. 

hopefully it plays better than it looks for you all

• Downvote 3

Shopto delivered for me too ^_^

only played about an hour so far, but loving it already. It looks gorgeous too. 

oh and make sure you press left, down or right on the dpad at every opportunity.