rllmuk
Keyboard Koala

Luigi's Mansion 3 - Happy Halloween

Just for some perspective.

However, it does feel like this release isn’t getting a ‘big’ sell from Nintendo. Which I find odd, I was expecting a direct themed around it maybe.

• Upvote 4

Definitely some worrying vibes about this one from early previews and the lack of promotion so close to release. Sure it’ll be good for a quick blast through halloween weekend, but I’ve downgraded my preorder from the Ltd edition to standard. Hype downgraded.

• Downvote 2

I never viewed Luigi's Mansion as any kind of masterpiece to be ranked alongside the Mario games or whatever, more a very enjoyable diversion, and this looks like more of the same. I've seen plenty of promotion too. Dunno what you guys are worrying about or were expecting.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

I never viewed Luigi's Mansion as any kind of masterpiece to be ranked alongside the Mario games or whatever, more a very enjoyable diversion, and this looks like more of the same. I've seen plenty of promotion too. Dunno what you guys are worrying about or were expecting.

Yep, same here. I played 1 and 2 and finished neither as the gameplay became repetitive quite early on.

Whats up with Nintendo and outsourcing their games at the moment? None of the games theyve released this year (Cadence, LA, and now maybe this) have been up their usual standard. What are they doing at Nintendo HQ, all hands on a new Mario or Zelda?

• Downvote 2

I'm a bit torn on what I've seen of this based on Nintendo's promotional footage so far.  I was actually starting to think it looked a bit crap and am still worried it's going to be too similar to the drawn out Luigi's Mansion 2 rather than the first game which I loved. I was considering cancelling my pre-order but Happy Console Gamer's video yesterday has given me a bit of hope so I had a google for some more thoughts from press who have the game already and Esquire's write up has actually made me a bit excited as the writer seemed to really like it: https://www.esquire.com/lifestyle/a29489555/luigis-mansion-3-nintendo-game-review/ (though I don't know how good Esquire stack up as a game's previewing source!)

Luigi's Mansion wasn't supposed to be the start of a franchise as it's now known as said in that video above. It was part of Nintendo's new strategy to make smaller more idiosyncratic games that take less time to develop*. It was such an inspired fit for Luigi, and so graphically impressive, Pixar-like visuals. I think making more of these, sticking a number on the end, and putting Luigi in a mansion again goes against the intent of the original. Just doing friendly horror with Luigi should be his thing now, as Wario was anything a bit crazy, it shouldn't be about the mansion. I just keep thinking of some kind of Cluedo type murder mystery, dunno what kind of game that would be, Luigi trapped in a closet peeking out as various Nintendo characters appear to kill eachother. Luigi's Nightmare, Luigi trapped in a series of horrific dreams inspired by that crying baby bit in Max Payne. Chased by mutilated Toad heads that avalanche the screen. I think Nintendo could do a zombie game with Luigi. But no it's Luigi in a mansion again sucking up ghosts 18 years after it was genuinely one of the most visually incredible games you'd ever seen, right there at the beginning of a new console's emergence, into a new century what does the future hold for videogames. I'm sure it's good and delightful etc etc.

*Super Mario Sunshine being another. You wouldn't expect a Super Mario Sunshine 2 would you? You'd think; well no we already had/have Mario and that was the sunny Mario, a one off. Not meant to be The Best Mario Ever, just an interesting take on Mario.

• Empathy 1

Nintendo said that but on Game Cube apart from Luigi’s Mansion, the main criticism of which being that it was too short and lacking in content, or rush released to meet the console launch - it was business as usual. Sunshine wasn’t short, or Wind Waker or Metroid Prime.

Luigi’s Mansion was your archetypal 7/10 launch game and at the time I remember many being disappointed that this was Nintendo’s flagship title to launch the Game Cube with, but as more people played it over the years they were won over by its charm and whimsical nature. 

I’m fine with it becoming a franchise - three games in 20 years is hardly overkill, and I’m fine that they’ve expanded it and made it longer too - the original was rather short for a game they want to charge £40-50 for. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, cohen205 said:

Its just Ghost-busters mixed with the Mario licence.

And for that reason alone, I'm in! 

I ain't afraid of no moustachioed plumbers!!

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Nintendo said that but on Game Cube apart from Luigi’s Mansion, the main criticism of which being that it was too short and lacking in content, or rush released to meet the console launch - it was business as usual. Sunshine wasn’t short, or Wind Waker or Metroid Prime.

Metroid Prime wasn't short. I think Sunshine, Wind Waker, Luigi's Mansion and Pikmin were though. With them all i did think how much more could they have got out of them if they pursued them further and adopted the Miyamoto mantra of; a delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad.

7 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Luigi’s Mansion was your archetypal 7/10 launch game and at the time I remember many being disappointed that this was Nintendo’s flagship title to launch the Game Cube with, but as more people played it over the years they were won over by its charm and whimsical nature. I’m fine with it becoming a franchise - three games in 20 years is hardly overkill, and I’m fine that they’ve expanded it and made it longer too - the original was rather short for a game they want to charge £40-50 for. 

But why must the Mansion be the central aspect of this take on Luigi?

Luigi's Mansion was supposed to be a one off, it follows that if they expand on this take on Luigi they'd come up with a game that too is its own thing.

Ah well, all great games I think, and this looks like a good one too with a few original ideas of its own. I have no problem with a sequel :)

also isn’t it a hotel now , rather than a mansion? I mean it should meet your remit of placing Luigi in various spooky situations using the concept of different ‘levels’ in the hotel. 

Well at the 8:11 mark in the above video, you can see the gem collecting is back but in a very limited way. Keeping my fingers crossed NLG got it right this time. 

It does look absolutely lush though.

ScreamPark mode explained:

On 23/10/2019 at 17:11, Loik V credern said:

Metroid Prime wasn't short. I think Sunshine, Wind Waker, Luigi's Mansion and Pikmin were though. With them all i did think how much more could they have got out of them if they pursued them further and adopted the Miyamoto mantra of; a delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad.

But why must the Mansion be the central aspect of this take on Luigi?

Luigi's Mansion was supposed to be a one off, it follows that if they expand on this take on Luigi they'd come up with a game that too is its own thing.

Wasn't the common complaint of windwaker that it was unfinished (missing dungeons etc) rather than short?

15 minutes ago, davidcotton said:

Wasn't the common complaint of windwaker that it was unfinished (missing dungeons etc) rather than short?

Isn’t that the same thing? 

On 23/10/2019 at 17:33, Stanley said:

Ah well, all great games I think, and this looks like a good one too with a few original ideas of its own. I have no problem with a sequel :)

also isn’t it a hotel now , rather than a mansion? I mean it should meet your remit of placing Luigi in various spooky situations using the concept of different ‘levels’ in the hotel. 

Yeah i liked all those games, i still put Pikmin in my top 20 games ever i was so taken by it. All had moments that represent the very best games can offer, i have fond happy memories playing them. 

Hotel, mansion, it’s basically the same thing. A spooky building with rooms. In the original you occassionly went outside as well. You’re still just hoovering up ghosts. They’re gonna get much more out of it for sure but it’s conceptually the same. This is one of those times where this stance is not going to gain traction, i just thought it’s interesting how something inadvertedly becomes a franchise. You can look at it as; only 3 games in 18 years is hardly milking it, or as; i did the same thing 18 years ago, why would i care now? They haven’t mined anything out of this take on Luigi, haven’t grown it.

On 23/10/2019 at 16:09, Loik V credern said:

*Super Mario Sunshine being another. You wouldn't expect a Super Mario Sunshine 2 would you?

I wouldn't mind as I bloody love Sunshine! Even an HD remaster would wangle my dangle!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, grindmouse said:

Previews seem very positive. Hype restored.

Well, NLG seems to have addressed my main gripes with the 3DS sequel, ie. the pointless collecting and the uninspired boss characters, so they might get it right this time.

My main issue with the series is that it’s called Luigi’s Mansion.

It’s not his mansion, is it? He just rocks up and wrecks the place. And even if there’s a secret ending that I’m not aware of - where he gets given the deeds to the property and now owns it - the second one should have been called Luigi’s Mansions.

• Upvote 6

On 25/10/2019 at 20:59, davidcotton said:

The sailing was a common complaint. I thought that was the best part of the game. My issue is that to pad it out they made you go on a ridiculous fetch quest near the end. That sort of thing should always be optional not compulsory.

On 27/10/2019 at 10:17, Strafe said:

My main issue with the series is that it’s called Luigi’s Mansion.

It’s not his mansion, is it? He just rocks up and wrecks the place. And even if there’s a secret ending that I’m not aware of - where he gets given the deeds to the property and now owns it - the second one should have been called Luigi’s Mansions.

I think the back story to the first game was that Luigi had won the mansion in a competition (that he hadn't even entered and didn't realise was a trap) and we was rocking up to take possession.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Flockheart said:

I think the back story to the first game was that Luigi had won the mansion in a competition (that he hadn't even entered and didn't realise was a trap) and we was rocking up to take possession.

That is a valid take - a very valid take in fact - BUT legally he did not own the mansion so the title is still wrong.

Though ‘Luigi moronically thinks he owns a haunted house’ would be a harder sell, I suppose.

• Upvote 2