rllmuk
Keyboard Koala

Luigi's Mansion 3 - Happy Halloween

Spoiler

The Poulter Kitty can do one. 

Loving the game but this is the first bit I have really disliked. Put into the game to artificially lengthen it. 

9 minutes ago, Mr C said:
  Hide contents

The Poulter Kitty can do one. 

Loving the game but this is the first bit I have really disliked. Put into the game to artificially lengthen it. 

It's especially strange because the game isn't short on content at all and the two cat sections do nothing but delay one of the main pleasures of the game, which is seeing what the next floor looks like. It's the sort of thing I might expect to see padding out a short game but there was just no need for it here.

• Upvote 1

Do you know what fixes the controls in this?

Spoiler

A PS4 pad - so much better.  A pro controller probably gives the same results but I don't have one.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Parappa said:

Do you know what fixes the controls in this?

Reveal hidden contents

A PS4 pad - so much better.  A pro controller probably gives the same results but I don't have one.

Heh, i use a Ps4 pad several switch games, but i tend to just use a pro pad for Luigi. I find the ps4 sticks to not be quite as equal to Nintendo pads.

I use a pro pad on the Switch. Much nicer than the joycons. Although a bit expensive....

Agree on the feelings on the cat... In the grand scheme of things doesn't outstay it's welcome though... Its second appearance is more tedious than the first for anyone that's wondering but in the end it's only what 15-20 minutes in time...

Polterkitty is probably less annoying in subsequent playthroughs. It’s not that it’s a particularly awful bit of gameplay but you’re always desperate to see what’s on the next floor and this delays that with backtracking.

This was my GOTY until 

Spoiler

that bloody duck battle. It will become notorious and a prime example of a terrible boss fight. It could have been fine too but it takes at least three goes before you start to realise the controls don't match the rotation you've been trained to use for the last 10 levels. It's essentially a point north, east, south or west to go where you need to. Which sounds intuitive on paper but is practically the opposite of what you've been trained to do. Daft really as all the other boss fights were a pleasure and generally beatable at the first attempt.

Basement 2 wasn't an enjoyable level either - constantly turning valves on and off and making Gooigi dive in and out of pipes umpteen times was a bit of a slog. And as it came directly after Poulter Kitty and Paranormal Productions (which was great but has some head-scratching Charles Cecil-style puzzles) just slowed the pace of the game down and killed so much goodwill that I'd built up. It felt like that part of the game was designed by a more pernicious and old-skool director.

Thankfully the Egyptian level gets things back on track. A brilliant floor with some lovely ideas, all well executed.

What I love about this game is that it's pure unadulterated fun, rewards exploration and generally doesn't punish for making a mistake so B2 is such an odd departure.

Having said that I'm looking forward to the last stretch. What a fantastic game despite the above blip.

• Upvote 1

Yeah i got to B2 yesterday. There is a bit where 

Spoiler

you open the gate in the sewer and sharks come out you. I kept failing...

Then my PC crashed, so i finished my live stream. I'll try again another time.

1 hour ago, Darhkwing said:

Yeah i got to B2 yesterday. There is a bit where 

Reveal hidden contents

you open the gate in the sewer and sharks come out you. I kept failing...

Then my PC crashed, so i finished my live stream. I'll try again another time.

Thankfully I only died at this point one and it seemed I managed to get far enough to hit a checkpoint and when it restarted I had skipped it. :D

I finished the museum level last night, and got all 5 jewels. Today, walking through Covent Garden, i walked past a store with tall grass/plants in its window, and imagined myself hoovering them up. I'm 45 yrs old.

I haven't done that since N64 days, when i used to look up to building tops and imagined shooting the security cameras (was playing a lot of Goldeneye).

• Upvote 6

I enjoyed basement  2 and the boss battle in it.

Spoiler

Luigi blowing his inflatable duck back up:wub: I found it pretty easy personally. Making my way back after the water had gone to discover those sharks were actually regular ghosts with fake shark fins like that prankster in Jaws. That was ace too. And just the general separation of Luigi and Gooigi helping each other out. It felt a bit like a level from a lego game

The only boss encounter I was disappointed with was the very last one. It lacked the character and creativity of ones leading up to it.  I also found it significantly more tricky, which emphasised that even more because I spent more time on it.. Loved the penultimate one though.

• Upvote 3

Oh my god the B2 boss fight. What in earth were they thinking?

Absolutely execrable game design, so very nearly walked away but just got through it.

It better get back on track now!

• Upvote 1

I've just finished the game this evening and played through the entire thing in coop with my 5 year old son who absolutely loved it.  Despite the occasional bit of annoying game design and the odd bit of dodgy collision detection I thought it was a really good game. Personally I don't think it's as good/tight as the first game but it's much better than the second game (which I got bored with and stopped playing part way through).

• Upvote 1

On 16/11/2019 at 21:32, Flockheart said:

I've just finished the game this evening and played through the entire thing in coop with my 5 year old son who absolutely loved it.  Despite the occasional bit of annoying game design and the odd bit of dodgy collision detection I thought it was a really good game. Personally I don't think it's as good/tight as the first game but it's much better than the second game (which I got bored with and stopped playing part way through).

Just finished this myself.  Lovely game but just a few frustrating bits here and there but overall excellent and I am not sure how much more they can get out the Switch graphically - it looks incredible in places.

Late game spoiler. As in practically right at the very end of the game late. 

Spoiler

Everyone else assumed that wasn't the real Mario you released after fighting the hotel owner? Like he was going to pull off his face and reveal he was really King Boo or some other ghost? 

Because he was acting like a right baw bag. 

Pardon my Scotch. 

Finished it yesterday,  was a surprisingly long game actually. Few frustrating sections however a lot can be helped with buying a load of fairys ( sorry , bones) to bring you back to life in boss fights.

33 minutes ago, bear said:

Late game spoiler. As in practically right at the very end of the game late. 

Hide contents

Everyone else assumed that wasn't the real Mario you released after fighting the hotel owner? Like he was going to pull off his face and reveal he was really King Boo or some other ghost? 

Because he was acting like a right baw bag. 

Pardon my Scotch. 

Yes. His dialogue seemed a little strange.

The scariest part of the game is just after

Spoiler

you free mario, and he leads you down a corridor. You walk down it, and he jumps out.

The swine.

Edited by cohen205
Sorry
  • Upvote 1

Ahhh just finished. What a lovely game! It's got that inimitable Nintendo design vibe from the 90s/early 2000s that I've been craving and haven't felt for a while. I loved BotW but in many ways that was pushing boundaries in terms of game design and felt different, like the future. Luigi's Mansion 3 is unashamedly a bit old-fashioned and I loved that.

There's a bit early on when you 

Spoiler

blow air into a tuba that's stuck in a loo and it triggers a secret that encapsulates this game.

Almost everything can be and usually is concealing a delightful little hidden area, collectable or splurge of money.

Spoiler

I hated the B2 boss battle and Poulter Kitty was frankly painful, especially second time around.

But the rest of this was imaginative, compelling and serotonin-firingly good.

• Upvote 3