rllmuk
Keyboard Koala

Luigi's Mansion 3 - Happy Halloween

I'm about 5 floors in and quite enjoying it so far (about 4 hours in). The aiming controls are pretty arse, it's fiddly to aim in the right spot. I'd fortunately read the shoulder button advice in advance but its still feels a bit janky. On the other hand it looks great, it puts a smile on my face and it's full of wonderful detail.

The puzzles started off simple but are now becoming quite engaging ,and I love the fact there are secrets everywhere. The combat and bosses are pretty meh thanks to the controls but combat isn't the focus of the game anyway, exploring the mansion is fun. Yes there is way too much crap to hoover up - the first game was the same but this is much worse (I skipped the second game). Problem is that you still do it to try and find secrets, plus if you're a completionist like me you want to clear everything out.

Gooigi is a cool idea even though he's creepy as fuck, only had him for a floor and a half but it opens up the puzzle possibilities nicely. 

Overall it's a pleasant game to put on and chill out with, I don't feel compelled to complete it in one sitting like the first game but it's pretty solid and oozes charm. Pretty much what I was expecting. Worth 50 quid....? I wouldn't say so yet but I'm only near the start so I'll reserve judgement.

9 hours ago, Pavey said:

It’s not a change, just that you can and it’s not disclosed by the game. L+R is the dark light beam - the game tells you it is X. 

Now do you believe in the unseen? 

This currently feels like a bargain for £30.

Not long had Googi but it’s been a good way to get my daughter. She’s struggled with the controls a bit. Yesterday we played in tabletop mode with a joycon each. This is a TERRIBLE way to play. Avoid.

6 hours ago, Keyboard Koala said:

Yeah, that's supposed to be the worst bit of the whole game. Looks glorious graphics-wise though.

:) If that's the worst bit happy days here! I actually quite enjoyed that bit made me smile. Think the boss was one of the easier ones so far too... reminds me a bit of Super Mario Sunshine.. but then I enjoyed that too and it was I think the most panned Mario game.

Really enjoying the very different themed areas the presentation of this is just lovely. Guess the only slight niggle at times is the fairly fixed canera. Had the odd glitch too - however nothing that hasn't reset when loading the save back again! 

Had a bit of a scare the other day when I got a corrupted data message on the screen . . Luckily it was just a bad SD card! All my saves are thankfully backed up into the cloud after I finally pulled the trigger on a sub to the online service a few months back.....

What really impresses me is that Nintendo have got all this running on fairly rudementual hardware - well in comparison to a PC or one the other consoles. 

Looks like Luigi's Mansion 3 is the biggest Switch opening of the year so far in the UK, beating Mario Maker 2 and Links Awakening. It'll be a short lived title though, with Pokémon around the corner.

A few more hours in and I think I do like this game. The first couple of hours are a bit tedious and I hate the controls, but as I’ve got further, the different floors really have come into their own!

I enjoyed the idea of Paranormal Productions more than I enjoyed playing it. The puzzle sequence felt a bit '1990s point and click logic' to me.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Majora said:

I enjoyed the idea of Paranormal Productions more than I enjoyed playing it. The puzzle sequence felt a bit '1990s point and click logic' to me.

Probably why I liked it so much! Just started playing this after Thimbleweed Park :D

Currently just got the 14th elevator button. Really enjoying this and not sure I want it to finish like a good book.... 

As mentioned the sound is great on this too such a pleasure to play. 

I’m genuinely ashamed I have to ask for help here as I’ve barely started but I must’ve spent 45 minutes aimlessly wandering and the charm is going to start to grate soon if I don’t.

Floor 5:

Spoiler

“Briefcase Ghost” has appeared and I’ve chased them through three or four rooms and worn them down a bit with the suction cup thing but now I can’t find them. Gadd keeps making the same suggestion about using the blacklight on walls and doors but I can only seen an outline on one door of a room I could swear is empty (one with the long, walk-in wardrobe) and now I’m stumped. Is it something to do with the lift-sgaft I can access or should I be trying to move that heavy couch blocking the corridor in front of the lift?

20 hours ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

Sound design in this is outstanding 

It is, but no humming to the music from Luigi that I have heard yet unfortunately.

EDIT - Actually he does

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Yasawas said:

I’m genuinely ashamed I have to ask for help here as I’ve barely started but I must’ve spent 45 minutes aimlessly wandering and the charm is going to start to grate soon if I don’t.

Floor 5:

Hide contents

“Briefcase Ghost” has appeared and I’ve chased them through three or four rooms and worn them down a bit with the suction cup thing but now I can’t find them. Gadd keeps making the same suggestion about using the blacklight on walls and doors but I can only seen an outline on one door of a room I could swear is empty (one with the long, walk-in wardrobe) and now I’m stumped. Is it something to do with the lift-sgaft I can access or should I be trying to move that heavy couch blocking the corridor in front of the lift?

use black light on the wall the ghost entered, then when you move to the next room along the ghost will be there. I think that’s what happened for me anyway

43 minutes ago, Triple A said:

Reveal hidden contents

use black light on the wall the ghost entered, then when you move to the next room along the ghost will be there. I think that’s what happened for me anyway

It's been so long I can't actually remember where that was but I'll just try it everywhere until it works. Cheers!

1 hour ago, Yasawas said:

It's been so long I can't actually remember where that was but I'll just try it everywhere until it works. Cheers!

Floor 5, one of if not the right-most room on that floor.

• Upvote 1

I keep forgetting that you can jump and just how handy that is in certain situations.

Also, Kitty took me ages to figure out (Lies. I just searched for it when I got annoyed stuck for 15 minutes).

That cat bit does seem slightly like padding however I can forgive it as the variety on show in the rest of the game is excellent. It also has some really good puzzles. I've no idea how I'm going to find all the jewels, even on the smaller levels I've got at least 2 missing. And I've not found one Boo.

20 minutes ago, carleton said:

That cat bit does seem slightly like padding however I can forgive it as the variety on show in the rest of the game is excellent. It also has some really good puzzles. I've no idea how I'm going to find all the jewels, even on the smaller levels I've got at least 2 missing. And I've not found one Boo.

Not even the Boo

in the corridor by the garage door, immediately after the Professor tells you about them?

Ah, I found him. I thought that was a compulsory tutorial though but now you've pointed it out I remember searching. And in turn that's reminded me of the actual advice he gives about finding Boos. Cheers.