rllmuk
Marlowe

Videogame fatigue

I hate learning new game mechanics or following new storylines - I couldn't estimate how many games I've played once and quit because I was sick of mechanics tutorials. I'd much rather have a blast on Oblivion or Skyrim because I know them inside out. Sometimes I just stick the difficulty on the lowest setting and put some music on while I one-shot everything in sight.

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, Thwomp said:

I hate learning new game mechanics or following new storylines - I couldn't estimate how many games I've played once and quit because I was sick of mechanics tutorials. I'd much rather have a blast on Oblivion or Skyrim because I know them inside out. Sometimes I just stick the difficulty on the lowest setting and put some music on while I one-shot everything in sight.

On the other hand I feel like at least some of my apathy towards AAA modern games comes from how homogenised they've become in terms of control schemes and mechanics etc. I feel like once I've seen a video of the gameplay for most games I can imagine how it plays, which is basically like a reskin of a bunch of other games I've played in the past, and so there isn't much sense of excitement on that front. So then it comes down to whether or not I'm interested in the setting/story of the game, and the majority of the time I'd rather just watch a movie or read a book for a story.

Luckily, there are enough indie/old games with unique mechanics/ideas to keep anyone busy.

• Upvote 4

Shenmue 3 people!

• no map icons
  • mechanical arcade games
  • actually have to use your brain and investigate to find out where to go next
  • unusual rural china setting 
  • fighting
  • working
  • sailors
  • forklifts
  • "hey mister, lets go to the ARCADEEEEEEEEE"
  • hilarious english dubbing
  • a yu suzuki game

or Death Standing

• don't have a clue, but hell it's different
  • sure to have long cut scenes
  • enormous ladders
  • "i think i know that guy from x"
  • erm, something different
  • a hideo kojima game

That might seem like I'm ragging on it, but i'm genuinely curious to find out more, unlike 90% of the pure homogenised tat coming out nowadays.

• Upvote 7

I feel gaming is in a really nice place at the moment. With the exception of a few developers I care about, what's refered to as AAA games is fairly dead to me as the series they're still keeping alive play it so safe or just don't intrest me. However, their are some exceptions to the rule and those budgets really bring out the computing power consoles and PC's now have access to. Aside from that, a few good B tier titles are released every so often but that market has shrunk as developers become more risk adverse.

But the indie titles, they're just exceptional. I love this new era of small little 1 person, small studio teams bringing the inovation and style that big studios no longer can and all the while, they're priced around £10 on Steam. Really inspiring.

As a guy in his mid 30's with less free time, this lack of games that I'm intrested in is a god send as I don't have the spare time to complete the games I do buy, let alone the one's I keep away from!

• Upvote 1

I had the same feeling a few years ago and found that I got back into gaming when I starting playing new genres of games. For me in was racing games. The pick up and play nature really suited me at the time and it was nice to have something fresh and a new gaming experience. 

Gaming has gone the way of the internet. 

Once, it used to be people who were seriously interested in a new medium. 

Now its models dressing up as ChunLi to get instagram likes.

Its a depressing inditement of the times we live in. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I was starting to feel this way about most of the 'Big' Releases (I bounced off both Horizon: ZD & God of War) but 2 things have turned it around of late, & that's Indie Games & the Switch (Or is that one thing?)

I find Indie games tend to have the more creative ideas, & their shorter run times mean that they rarely outstay their welcome or take up too much of my time.  Grow Home (The one with the plant-growing robot) is one that really clicked for me & sold me on the idea that there was something to this more bite-sized gaming, & there's been a veritable bounty recently of little gems like Owlboy & Hollow Knight.  Being on the Switch also means I can take them with me while also having a good selection of more 'Meaty' games to compliment them like the usual Nintendo fare (Zelda :wub:, Mario, Splatoon, etc) Retro conversions (Okami) or the occasional 'full' third-party game that the Switch can manage (Dragon Quest Builders).

That's not say that big name games can't bring me in when they appeal to me of course.  I loved the PS4 Spider-Man for instance, though I find myself rather cold on the new Avengers.  Maybe it'll be just as good, but I dunno, it seems kind of flat in a way that Spider-Man wasn't.

One other thing that has kind of 'wowed' me but I don't think it's quite ready yet is VR.  I have an Oculus Go that I use on occasion & I do have my eye on an Oculus Quest.  I feel like these are the platforms that will be big in future, but they need a lot more market share & software support (which is rather a chicken/egg thing), hence why I feel that Labo VR is Nintendo's attempt to 'take the temperature' of the VR market without fully committing, an understandable position for the company that made the Virtual Boy, but also encouraging as if there's one company's games I would love to see in proper VR, it's Nintendo's.

• Upvote 1

On 05/06/2019 at 21:44, kernow said:

kojima or naughty dog stuff

Kojima requested a £7000 game in which you only get one life, but when I pitched this to my boss he didn't want Konami headhunting our NVQ students for employment in Tokyo. And thus the battle over Hull School of Art and Design was amazingly fierce and bloody, or at least... there was chilli sauce from a hotdog in your lunch break, that spilled on your t-shirt because you were distracted. But OMFG it was England's best ever t-shirt you crazy motherfucker, and we don't have no Fairy washing machine tabs to cleans it till next week. ARGH.

• Downvote 2

19 hours ago, partious said:

On the other hand I feel like at least some of my apathy towards AAA modern games comes from how homogenised they've become in terms of control schemes and mechanics etc. I feel like once I've seen a video of the gameplay for most games I can imagine how it plays, which is basically like a reskin of a bunch of other games I've played in the past, and so there isn't much sense of excitement on that front. So then it comes down to whether or not I'm interested in the setting/story of the game, and the majority of the time I'd rather just watch a movie or read a book for a story.

Luckily, there are enough indie/old games with unique mechanics/ideas to keep anyone busy.

You should definitely play Another Code. Edge gave it a crap rating because they didn't bother to complete it, but it's basically a murder mystery LARP. These things are normally very expensive and you pay a bunch of actors and special effects people, not to mention booking an entire hotel for the weekend - £10,000 a weekend wasn't unusual, but NIntendo help to virtualise these things and sell you it for Tesco whole-sale prices.

• Downvote 2

On 06/06/2019 at 08:04, Broker said:

I have less time to devote to things like learning multiplayer shooters or practicing complex combat.

So you've had enough practice and ready for a real war? This might be more time consuming than the practice and you may need to take a break on all your other hobbies and commitments. And also write a will for your kid.

stuff to unlock,

Crikey me lad! Back in my day all we had to unlock were multicoloured Doom doors, and we were happy at that! Digital rationing they called it, and by eck if ya complained the hoardes of hell would pop a cork in your noggin' and it'd be right back to Phobos with yer silly ass. Now do your savestates homework and no speedrun cheating Centurion, Youtube aint been invented yet yer crazy foo child... yes mam.

I do think though that combined with my life, the triple a industry is in a really dry place

Sounds like Iraq.

The more expensive games get, the more similar they get to each other, and the less new franchises are created.

In Soviet Russia, Triple A title play you!

we’ve got no news on the next one and the last two games were identical and pretty

Hmmm..... Centurion twin sister....

maryryan.jpg

• Downvote 2

It doesn’t help that the choices we’re given are generally completely superficial

I think the choices you get in decent videogames are less superficial than Instagram, but it's generally how you choose to use things. The original Worms carried on for 8 years due to mods, and the first GTA had some really amazing community maps, which is the sort of thing you could never get in the Spectrum era, because people usually just clone a game like Space Invaders and add some little customised bits and peices - but Grand Theft Auto was more like a sport, such as Cricket or Rugby, meaning you accept the ruleset and system, and then produce something that adds to this. Perhaps more like motorsport tracks? Well it got a lot more extra life from this than pumping 20p coins into Altered Beast anyway.

If it’s just a set of pre-written scenes that play out the same way every time then there’s not really much point for me, I could flick on Netflix and pick any film or TV series and it will be a better experience in storytelling that any cutscene I’ve ever watched.

The cutscenes in Ocarina of Time are still very impressive, because they use camera angles and motion that are otherwise impossible with live action, and it doesn't have to blend this with realistic looking actors like most Marvel movies. Final Fantasy 7 is quite interesting because nearly all of the heavily zoomed out views were considered unwatchable by television industry standards, that your gran would need extra glasses or something: Deary, is that the Cloud one? I can see he looks a bit blonde, that's the Snowball leader right sweetheart...? Okay, well he looks a bit thin, do you think he'd like a cake? What? Materia? Well I can do a Madeira cake dear, and we'll just have to tell him it's the same, dutch courage for the menfolk eh works every time *popeye toot*.

I hear this about indies a lot.

Fortune and Glory kid.... fortune and glory.... *whip crack*

I don’t think you should underestimate how hard it is

I see.

are people still making arcade games?

Yeah, in Brazil and various orient countries I believe.

Or is that phrase used to describe a genre now?

It's used to describe games which require you shove a joystick around for up to two hours, equivalent to championship boxing. By the end of Punisher or Streets of Rage your arms stop working most of that day, and you really need several cans of Fanta or Solero ice lollies. For the actual blood-glucose drop and such.

That’s before we even think about trying to identify what to play in that area. I genuinely don’t know those things, and unlike more specific questions, nebulous things like “what indie games shall I try?”

You should try the Indy game, running away from giant stone balls or melting Nazi officers in the face.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I had videogame fatigue for years. Still kept buying the must have titles with possibly only a Destiny addiction keeping my so called hobby on life support. On a whim I bought a gaming PC, having left that scene many years before, and that was it. Everything clicked into place. I didn’t know it was what I was looking for but I’m glad I got reacquainted. Still can’t really play consoles to this day. I get bored immediately with the control compromises and the dated technology.

4 hours ago, Jarik said:

I find Indie games tend to have the more creative ideas, & their shorter run times mean that they rarely outstay their welcome or take up too much of my time.

I like the big releases and the indies equally, but lately things like Katana ZeroCeleste and the forthcoming Indivisible are way more interesting to me - games without the huge production values but that take a few unique ideas and build tight, fun experiences around them. Also they’re a great way of introducing variety into your gaming schedule if you’d otherwise be invested in a huge timesink. :) 

• Upvote 1

I've had a bad case of it this year, but that's partly down to there being not many really great games. I think the best game I've played has been Judgment, which isn't as good as some previous Yakuza games. 

Still, I've had a lot of stress and health problems and anxiety this last few months, means I'm rarely in the head space to concentrate on a video game. I've just bought bloodstained and that seems to be one that will do the job for me, however, just the right amount of depth and challenge to keep me engaged without being off-putting. 

I've hit a bit of a slump again.

I've been playing Mortal Kombat 11 since launch and have got into the online aspect for the first time with any game, but I've fallen off it a bit on the last couple of weeks and find I don't really want to play anything else either. I have a decent sized pile of shame but I'm looking at everything in it and going "meh". I've been flicking through the Xbox store and is the same story: nothing interests me. I just don't think I can be bothered with gaming.

Might have to start going the gym again to fill the time...

Just to say that I find this the most interesting topic I've read here in ages.

I've always been interesting in tracking 'developer fatigue' in the teams I've worked with over the past twenty years. When it's a full time job, interest in what was just a hobby can massively wane. I've seen people consistently get increasingly distanced and alienated from 'the industry' as it's hard to follow it at times.

A lot of titles in my own backlog have turned into massive 80-100 hour plus experiences. I'm not really interesting in storytelling so I tend to skip nearly every cutscene in a game and still the games come out at 80+ hours.

I wonder if game length and family constraints are a big part of the issue?

I think I’m much more likely now to give up on things if one aspect is bad, especially if it’s the thing you do most. I used to play a lot of RPG games with shit, boring combat. I put up with it because that’s not what I was there for. I remember feeling genuinely amazed when FFXII came out that it had s battle system that was actually enjoyable and exciting to play with, because I just didn’t expect that from FF games.

Now when I start up a game, if the story is intriguing but the actual battle and exploration systems feel shit, I just don’t bother (hello Dragon Quest Inquisition). If I want an interesting story with some branching choices, I could play something like The Walking Dead or Life is Strange where I just get that and don’t need to spend hours doing pointless busywork to tick RPG boxes. Most open world games just present a thousand icons, with some of them being exciting challenges to walk to this icon. Or it’s the GTA model, huge, long, terribly written cutscenes dividing up stale, challenge free gameplay, all wrapped up in the most expensive dressing in the world. Generic shite with an increasingly more dazzling and expensive coat of paint.

2 hours ago, CrashedAlex said:

It's an issue for me but not because of the length itself, I'm just totally done with the default tactics devs use for stretching out an AAA game to 100 hours.

If I hear that a story heavy game is 100 hours long that's pretty much a guarantee that it makes heavy usage of some form of grinding whether it be straight up rpg player stats or some sort of variation on "collect 10 million dollars by doing odd jobs\grinding easy side missions in your sleep in order to buy the car to do the next story mission" etc etc. You'll be going back and forth across the map constantly because that's "fun".

At some stage after playing a certain amount of games the modern open world game just started being about as exciting a concept as an excel spreadsheet for me.

I guess if people actually enjoy the grind and drawing out of 20 hours of content into 100+ then good for them, but for me I start to think of the other things I could do with 100 hours. Books/movies/indie games/walking sims/games from the days before everything had the same fun killing "rpg elements" etc , forms of entertainment that don't treat being 100 hours long (80+ hours of which are spent in a zombified state doing some challenge free drudgery) as some sort of automatic selling point.

If a game actually has 100 hours of content and not 15-20 padded out to 100 then fair enough, but that's rare.

I'd actually play some of these games if they had a "no drudgery" under 20 hour long option for those who don't want to waste 100 hours. I've played some ps1 Final Fantasy games with an action replay cheat cart to remove all the random battles and massively over level and I enjoyed the story/adventure.

Some modern devs will let you pay extra in microtransactions to avoid the drudgery/gameplay.  I find that worthy of some thought for anyone who respects their own time.

• Upvote 2

I’ve gone through this several times over the last 20 years, and haven’t turned on my PS4 in over a month. I’m not sure my current malaise is any worse than on previous occasions but the general direction the industry has been heading this decade makes it harder to care or get excited about console gaming as much as I used to and I’m likely skipping the next gen consoles entirely and going PC only from here out.

I dunno, it just feels for the most part things peaked in amazement terms with the 360 for me and everything since has just been just been a relatively minor degree of improvements, comparatively. Like everything now just builds and refines on the successes of that gen but there’s little to truly open your eyes and blow you away in a way you never experienced before.

Plus I have 0 interest in multiplayer fps games so the whole genre (and leaps it may hold) is lost on me entirely.

• Upvote 1

I've actually considered quitting gaming since I never finish games and get bored quickly. I feel that the industry has stagnated, and even the "best" games bore me. That said, I decided to give Quake Champions a go last night and I enjoyed it immensely, but sadly that game has also been infested by microtransactions and pay to win so I wont play it for that much longer. But yeah, Quake was great fun. 

I go through phases where I want to play something but I don't have enough time to play most of the time, so I just end up playing a game that I can just put down, most of the time it's something like WoW to burn a couple of minutes in a night or Minecraft.....I have loads of games I need to get through just not enough time to commit time to them.

22 hours ago, CrashedAlex said:

There's definitely something to this. One of the issues I have with linger games is that I find it really hard to come back to the middle of a game after even a short break. I can never remember where I was up to, what I needed to do next and so on. It means I have a couple of games where I've invested a bit of time, but I'll never get any further.

Even non story driven stuff like Forza Horizon 4 can be tricky to pick back up. I always have this nagging feeling that I was in the middle of trying to complete something but I can't remember what.

• Empathy 1

I genuinely don't know how people can put hundreds of hours into completing a game. I just can't ever find the time to do it so I rarely bother with certain genres such as RPGs anymore. I bought Xenoblade 2 and although I was enjoying It, I'd go days without playing and end up losing interest. 

So how does everybody make time for gaming?

Since I moved into my first house with the missus six months ago, I really struggle to find time... and this is without kids! 

Maybe I'm just not trying hard enough. To play games that is. Not have kids. 

On 05/06/2019 at 05:59, Marlowe said:

When have you had a phase of having no desire to play videogames, and what was the game that drew you back in?

I'm in the middle of one at the moment. I haven't been into this gen half as much as previous ones anyway due to my free time being more limited, but until recently I'd still made time to play a fair bit of 3DS and Switch, and the occasional PS4 or PC thing. MGSV, Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey were my most played of recent years. For the last few months though, playing anything seems like a pointless chore.

I absolutely loved the original Valkyria Chronicles, so I started the highly rated VC4, but after only a few missions I can't see myself ever returning to it. In its case, the volume of cutscenes and dialogue doesn't help - why dedicate so much time to some predictable third rate story when I can just go and read a novel or watch a well written film or TV show? I was pretty into SSB Melee back in the day so I picked up Ultimate. No dodgy story to waste my time, plenty of nostalgia to tap into, beautifully refined and balanced and detailed - it felt like a total grind. I have a huge amount of affection for Ico so I gave The Last Guardian a go. Love the aesthetic and the bond with Trico and how that's reflected in the mechanics, but for every touching moment I'm spending another battling with an unwieldy camera. I've always liked platformers so I gave Celeste a try on Switch - struggled to get through an hour.

Maybe something will come along soon and pull me right back in, but for now it feels like I'm done.

I was really finding anything to hold my interest, the last game to do so being Breath of The Wild. While I very much enjoyed my Rift when I had it, it often seemed like a chore to get everything working correctly.

The Quest has changed EVERYTHING for me. Suits my busy family lifestyle, can be playing in seconds from deciding I want to. Lots of skill based, arcade style games plus some deeper and creative ones. I just love it so. And I love the instant on, fast load times, relatively cheap software and also not to mention it essentially feels like having an arcade of the future in your house.

Tried going back to the odd pancake game but can't remotely get into anything.

@ScouserInExile I completely agree with you. My play sessions are increasingly infrequent. Depending on where I am in a development, I may have the odd free hour to spare, I may not.

I can sit down to play and pick something back up - and then spend most of that play hour working on where I am, what I was doing and what I need to do next. Most games are quite poor at helping the player out like that. 

I also have to plan ahead for the play hour and make sure that said software title doesn't need a multi gig patch. I've spent 45mins of my hour updating a game. Then a brief 15 minutes of play and back to work.

I haven't been interested in many of the *big* titles of this generation. But then that's because I'm drawn to arcade games - always have been, and always will be. I'm not interested in stories. I was especially heartened to read the earlier comment about 'stories that would not pass muster on the Sci-Fi Channel'  - because I totally agree.

But, each to their own and everything. It's hearing the different points of view that really fascinates me.

It happened - I think I've lost interest in gaming.  I've been finding everything incredibly boring at the moment.  Links Awakening? Dull, Gris? Boring, COD MW? Depressing.  Any one of the other 80 off games i have on the switch? Not interested at all.  There isn't even anything on the horizon i fancy. 

On 12/09/2019 at 16:04, Elseb said:

So how does everybody make time for gaming?

For me my gaming time has shifted from late evenings to now early mornings. I'm usually awake my 5am so can get an hour in before I need to get the kids up for school. During the weekends I can usualy get quite a few hours in till around 9am so a decent 3 to 4 hour gaming session on Saturday & Sundays.

I had this, and it lasted basically ten years - 2005 to 2015, roughly. 

The last consoles I properly owned were Gamecube, Og Xbox, Dreamcast and, a glorified blur-ray player (PS2).

What got me back? An utter change in life fortunes I found myself skint and out of work. A friend donated my an old Xbox 360 to help pass time and I went to CEX and bought like 5 games for a tenner.

i literally spent a solid month or two hooked on PGR4, the other games didn’t get much of a look in, I absolutely loved MSR on the DC and PGR1 on Xbox and this felt like amazing to me, despite the fact I knew I was still playing an outdated game on the previous generations hardware.

• Upvote 4