Blasphemous - Not A Metroidvania™ Out Now

10 minutes ago, bradigor said:

That looks fucking wonderful. 

Y'know what, as much as the AAA section of games is in a freefall to shiteness, the Indie market just continues to get better and better. 

Is it? Shit, nobody told me and I've been enjoying big budget games more than ever.

12 minutes ago, Timmo said:

Is it? Shit, nobody told me and I've been enjoying big budget games more than ever.

That's nice.

I never said there wasn't good big budget games, but the overall practice behind the AAA market is fucking shite and that is transferring itself into many of the games. 

Anyway that's for another thread. Sorry to derail this one Mr Moose!

10 hours ago, earlymodernsteve said:

Oh, and btw, if you haven't played it, Slain: Back From Hell is a pretty fun metal platformer from a few years back. Difficult but doable - even an old man like me finished it :)

Kind of agree but I found it just a little bit too frustrating to be really fun, aesthetically it was pretty great

• 2 months later...
7 hours ago, partious said:

I've seen conflicting info online regarding whether or not this is a metroidvania. If it isn't a metroidvania, I'm interested.

It's not really a Metroidvania, you're not gated by abilities, at least not in the demo. There are shortcuts, more akin to Dark Souls.

It won't bloody load. Just gets stuck on a screen with the figure 8 thing spinning in the bottom corner :( PC GAMING! *jazz hands*

EDIT: had to unplug my Razr Orbweaver, you know the gaming device designed to play games, to make the game work. Sigh.

On 29/08/2019 at 02:20, partious said:

I've seen conflicting info online regarding whether or not this is a metroidvania. If it isn't a metroidvania, I'm interested.

It's a Souls game with a metroidvania map, judging by the demo.

The combat and the platforming both feel really good.  I'm not really sold on the gothic gore side of things; some of it comes off as a little lame, like stuff you might find in a teenager's sketchbook.  But it's good fun to play.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, that's some very strange imagery in the opening sections of the game. I'm glad no-one was sat next to me on the train. :lol:

I like it so far. The game seems very lenient with its parries, but it seems to control well and leans heavily into the 2D Dark Souls vibe. I'm looking forward to playing more. 

1 hour ago, mdn2 said:

This is out today. Just downloaded it on the Switch eshop so that's my commute to work sorted this morning. 

Really? Shit, I thought it was ages off yet for some reason. That's my evening sorted then! 

9/10 from Nintendolife (although they give most things good reviews)

Blasphemous is a beautifully crafted Soulslike/Metroidvania action game set in a delightfully unhinged, deliriously gory world filled with well-designed enemies, satisfyingly meaty combat and some truly memorable and grotesque boss battles. Platforming sections are uniformly well-crafted and the whole thing comes together to create one of the most visually arresting and solidly enjoyable action titles currently available on Switch. Spanish developers The Game Kitchen have created a nightmare world in Cvstodia, one that will truly test your combat and platforming skills and leave you begging for more come that final bloody battle.

Sounds right up my street so I've added it to my never-ending list.