Blasphemous - DEFINITELY A Metroidvania™ Out Now

17 minutes ago, df0 said:

After Dead Cells,. Shantae, Shovel Knight and Jeebus knows what else, Blasphemous plays like a forgettable dime a dozen 90's platformer.

I loved Dead Cells but I will have to try those other games you mentioned.

There's many Shantae games, they very latest one is available now on Apple Arcade and very soon on Xbox, PS4, Switch and surely PC. Great franchise from WayForward who worked on Mummy Demastered (not that good when it launched, but according to reports patches and updates made the game better) and did they not assist on Bloodstained?

Shovel Knight comes highly recommended. Was a very successful Kickstarter and has given us a solid base game plus 2 free expansion packs. Love letter to 2d platformers from yesteryear.

23 minutes ago, df0 said:

Was a very successful Kickstarter and has given us a solid base game plus 2 free expansion packs

3 free expansion packs!  Literally cannot recommend Shovel Knight enough, it's brilliant.

• 2 months later...

I really enjoyed this until the last third but the insta deaths combined with obscure signposting soured it a little. Excellent value if you can get it for a tenner though.

I definitely don't have the appetite at the moment for more but good to see it being supported.

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/07/2020 at 10:14, DC said:

This is a tenner on Switch and PS4 and fucking excellent based on what I’ve played so far.

Looks like it's £19.99 on Switch, unless there's some sort of deal I'm missing? Maybe it went back up since your post.

12 minutes ago, Number 28 said:

Looks like it's £19.99 on Switch, unless there's some sort of deal I'm missing? Maybe it went back up since your post.

Yeah I bought it last week or so. I’ve nearly completed it now I think.

It's still £9.99 on Steam too. I thought a pixel art game would seem more at home on my Switch Lite. Oh well. Nintendooooo!

Edit: Ok, bought it on PS4 in the end. I tried the demo on my Switch Lite and the screen is just too small to read the pixelated, gothic typeface.

The icy bit is the biggest roadblock (aside from the obvious bosses) in the game. Shows up the more fiddly parts of the platforming.

8 minutes ago, Number 28 said:

I've killed the three floaty people and now I'm at the vertical, icy bit and it's a total git of a section. The game has made me consider filling a traffic cone with custard and forcing my head inside, which is new.

Ah yeah, I should say, I'm enjoying it a lot so far, especially the Amiga vibes, but the jumping feels a bit off because if you jump to reach a platform above, the player character's feet so obviously clear it, but you don't make the landing and fall back down. You have to make sure you clear it by a wide margin. It also doesn't help that the save shrine is a long way back.

5 minutes ago, Number 28 said:

Ah yeah, I should say, I'm enjoying it a lot so far, especially the Amiga vibes, but the jumping feels a bit off because if you jump to reach a platform above, the player character's feet so obviously clear it, but you don't make the landing and fall back down. You have to make sure you clear it by a wide margin. It also doesn't help that the save shrine is a long way back.

Watch the graphical effects in that bit, helped me loads.

I already twigged that you have to time your jumps with the wind. I actually reached the top once and was immediately killed by an old lady in a corridor...I think she was brandishing a huge bell? Yeah, pretty annoying because she was about as slow as you'd expect and I had no idea she was even damaging me. :lol:

Edit: ok, I got up there ridiculously easily, I must've been tired earlier. What's weird is, I just made a gate open seemingly by charging my fervour (holding circle)??

Early days on this but I'm loving it and  could do with a small push in the right direction as to where to go next, if anyone can offer a broad hint or clue.

So I think I need to defeat 3 bosses which will then let me cross the bridge the the castle. I've beaten two:

Spoiler

Defeated the stompy tree guy who shoots vines from the ground

Defeated the big face with the 2 hands in the church mountains

I've also explored loads and done a lot of backtracking to get collectables and weapon upgrades.

Cheers

EDIT - Found it! Slightly cheap but it turns out I just needed to hit an object multiple times to reveal the way.

I actually beat the big face guy (woman?) last. The next boss is in the bottom left area of the map if that helps...I can be more specific if you need more.

Currently fighting...

Spoiler

...the dude on the bridge. He seems like the Blasphemous equivalent of Bloodstained's Zangetsu. I have some lightning defence in my rosary, but I'm not very good at avoiding it thus far. I probably just need to be more patient. It's so tempting to just wail on the bosses and tank the damage. Will try again later.

1 hour ago, Janski said:

EDIT - Found it! Slightly cheap but it turns out I just needed to hit an object multiple times to reveal the way.

Heeey, when did this appear? :D I'm guessing this refers to the bell business which I sorted by randomly hitting things. It's a pity there wasn't more visual feedback and logic involved when you broke the statues/chains. I'm not sure why the bell suddenly worked after breaking two (or was it three?)?

2 hours ago, Number 28 said:

I actually beat the big face guy (woman?) last. The next boss is in the bottom left area of the map if that helps...I can be more specific if you need more.

Currently fighting...

Hide contents

...the dude on the bridge. He seems like the Blasphemous equivalent of Bloodstained's Zangetsu. I have some lightning defence in my rosary, but I'm not very good at avoiding it thus far. I probably just need to be more patient. It's so tempting to just wail on the bosses and tank the damage. Will try again later.

Heeey, when did this appear? :D I'm guessing this refers to the bell business which I sorted by randomly hitting things. It's a pity there wasn't more visual feedback and logic involved when you broke the statues/chains. I'm not sure why the bell suddenly worked after breaking two (or was it three?)?

Yep, exactly that. Seems random that hitting it would work but now I think about it there might have been another instance of hitting a statue which worked :)

I'm also on the bridge boss now too. And yep, I think it's just patience. Good idea on the elecy rosary so will give that a go.

I’ve really enjoyed this, loads more than Deaths Gambit, which I thought was good. Looking forward to the NG+ content, which I think is where the bulk of the new stuff is?

16 hours ago, DC said:

I’ve really enjoyed this, loads more than Deaths Gambit, which I thought was good. Looking forward to the NG+ content, which I think is where the bulk of the new stuff is?

Yeah there's new story content and bosses in the NG+ and they've added a new Penitent system to make it more masochistic if that's your thing :). I think you need to 'Ascend' your save game file from main menu to access.

The update had a load of great QoL changes to the base game too like letting you upgrade your health flasks as well as providing better fast travel options. Plus the map, which was pretty bad is much improved and allows custom pins too.

At about 90% map completion now and taking on the prison boss, who seems doable just need more patience (and health).

Oh man, you ran ahead of me somewhat...I tried the bridge guy a few times at about 2am last night, then gave up. He just kicks my ass every time. Maybe I need to grind for more of those skills, but I dunno, none of the ones I have currently (plunge, slide+strike, charge) seem very helpful in that fight. I have three L2 moves too, the lightning across the floor, faster attacks and the giant circling balls, none of which seem much good either. I want to open up the rest of the map dammit!

Yeah, that's probably the one thing I haven't tried, so likely what I'm missing. I have the same issue with Fromsoft games in that a lot of moves look so ridiculously OP, I just assume I can't parry them, or that parrying would be far too risky. I'll give it another crack later.

Nope, I just can't do it. I must've tried about thirty times. I'm managing to get off a few parries, but it's really inconsistent. I just can't tell when he's about to strike, and he keeps moving either side of me whilst I'm trying to hit him. His sister appears when he's low on health and it's only happened once. A real shame because nothing had particularly challenged me before this. The game seems to have a habit of sending the bosses into a beserk mode at the end of the fight and whether you win or get struck down by some random projectile is pure luck. It also really bugs me how after death my pad continues to rumble as the boss is still attacking...

Edit: aaaand nailed it. :lol:  That was a struggle and a half. I decided to mainly attack straight after his spins and it seemed to pay off.

It's so good to get back to opening up the world and finding new stuff. I beat the Melquíades, The Exhumed Archbishop first time. Maybe not something to brag about since he's a corpse. Not a fan of the mobs in the rooftop area. Especially this one beast that shoots fireballs that you can't just jump over...annoying having to kill him again every time I fail, which is a lot.

I beat some knight with a similar moveset to bridge dude and gave that item to some perpetual pain woman (kinky), but I need to fight two more knights to get two more items for her, I believe. I already ran into one and he kicked my butt. I unlocked the max power lunge at least and boosted my estus using the big chap with the face on his belly (Nacimiento)

Oh, apparently Nacimiento is new with the DLC? So you couldn't reinforce your health items before? I'm a little confused by the system actually because it seems like each time I reinforce/boost health recoverey I lose a bile flask? Do I get it back by paying one of those sanguine fountains? Maybe I'm not remembering it correctly, it seems kinda complicated...

• moosegrinder changed the title to Blasphemous - DEFINITELY A Metroidvania™ Out Now