rllmuk
The Boatman

For All Mankind (Apple TV+), Ron Moore Showrunning

Apple showed a trailer for their forthcoming series ‘For All Mankind’ during their WWDC presentation:

It’s set in an alternate history where the Soviets landed on the moon first, a cross between First Man and The Man in the High Castle...

27 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Anyone else watching? I'm enjoying it. And ep 5 was quite tense.

It's a quality show sadly hidden away on Apple TV+. 

It's moving at a fair old pace though. Makes me wonder how future seasons will change.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Spartan said:

It's a quality show sadly hidden away on Apple TV+. 

It's moving at a fair old pace though. Makes me wonder how future seasons will change.

I've heard it might catch up with the present and then into the future.

Not watching it yet. I was planning to be cheap and bing it on a free trial once all episodes are out in December.:ph34r:

It’s makes sense that it’ll catch up with the present given the side story of the Mexican girl. 

it should make it very interesting. A reason to advance space exploration due to conflict, hoping that the space-bound Cold War doesn’t heat up. I like to think “For all Mankind” includes the Russians eventually. 

• Upvote 1

I'm waiting till S1 is finished so I can burn through it all with a trial. Nothing else on + that remotely looks interesting. This looks really interesting. Is the release schedule public? Pity they didn't put it all up on day one.

1 hour ago, mexos said:

Is the release schedule public? Pity they didn't put it all up on day one.

Every Friday, ending on 20 December. And each episode so far is a full hour. 

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Every Friday, ending on 20 December. And each episode so far is a full hour. 

Cheers. Looks like this will be my Christmas binge!

Final episode done. Enjoyed that season. Lots of tension and danger.

Last episode has a little bit after the credits too. Although I'm not sure about the realism of it.

Spoiler

I assume it would take a lot of extra energy to launch an already enormous moon rocket... from underwater. I know there's much much smaller missiles and rockets launched from subs, but don't they only fire the main engines after breaking the surface?

Right, I can see that by the lack of replies that sod all people have watched this show and that's a pity as this is a consistently good show that's amped up nicely as it's moved along (and it REALLY shifts along). I can't wait to see a second season push forward again.

Anyway, I loved it. Great mix of alt history, grounded in reality space tech, silent(finally!) space sequences, it's maybe a little bit too on the nose / soapy with using social issues in the ground sequences but nothing to distracting and it makes sense in the context of the show.

I don't care how you watch it, just try a few episodes and you'll see. 

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, The Boatman said:

Watched the finale tonight. I loved the series, justifies the Apple TV+ subscription on its own for me. Although I quite liked See as well. 

I’m part way though the finale and yep, TV of this quality would happily get me paying. As it is, I bought a new phone so get it “free”

It’s a bit naf if I’m honest but I’m happy watching it. The subject matter is good, as is the alternative universe idea. I’m always. curious to see where they are going to take it. If you like space films / space history I recon you’ll like this. Think i’ve got 2 or 3 to go.

I’d happily watch another season. Having said that Apple TV+ is getting cancelled the second I’m finished this. Nothing else look of interest.

Finally got round to watching this.  The first couple of episodes were interesting enough but didn't really grab me.  After that it really picked up.  It seems really happy to not take the easy option with character dilemmas, especially in the later episodes.  Some properly gut wrenching stuff.

Season 2 is a must watch for me.  Hoping it doesn't lose  too much charm as history deviates more.

On 20/12/2019 at 07:23, JohnC said:

Last episode has a little bit after the credits too. Although I'm not sure about the realism of it.

Hide contents

I assume it would take a lot of extra energy to launch an already enormous moon rocket... from underwater. I know there's much much smaller missiles and rockets launched from subs, but don't they only fire the main engines after breaking the surface?

Spoiler

Search for Seadragon. It was a real proposal.  Stupid tonnage to orbit and reusable.  Combustion instability may have been an issue and that wasn't as well understood at the time.