rllmuk
Tomdominer

Turn your PlayStation Classic into a fantastic emulation machine

Small note, as far as I know, there is no way to do OTG without modifying the Kernel with something like Bleemsync first. 

Personally i use Autobleem and that exact 64GB cruzer fit you linked but I have done the power mod on port two. It is very very tricky. Essentially soldering a wire across two pinheads half a mm apart. 

• Upvote 3

34 minutes ago, Ninja Doctor said:

Small note, as far as I know, there is no way to do OTG without modifying the Kernel with something like Bleemsync first. 

Personally i use Autobleem and that exact 64GB cruzer fit you linked but I have done the power mod on port two. It is very very tricky. Essentially soldering a wire across two pinheads half a mm apart. 

They are small, but I assumed you didn't need to be too accurate because of you are just bridging a resistor, so you can even solder both pins. I may be wrong there.

It’s two resistors in series in a kind of reversed “c” shape. The left two contacts are pin 5 of the limiter chip top and ground bottom. On the right of the resistors in just a track between the two. 

Pin 5 — resistor 1 — resistor 2 — gnd 

to disable the current limiter you need

pin 5 — gnd

You can just smother the whole area with solder if you wish. I just tried being a little more nuanced. 

• Empathy 1

25 minutes ago, Ninja Doctor said:

You can just smother the whole area with solder if you wish. I just tried being a little more nuanced. 

I'll give it a go. Certainly something that doesn't sound too easy. Did you try the OTG mod?

I haven’t bothered with the otg mod. My software on the machine is stock. I mainly play single player and have a usb hub for two player action if needed. 

Edit: if you do give it a go I posted a video in the classic thread in general gaming. I only did the second port as you only need one and if you screw it up you can still use your machine stock with the player 1 port. 

2 hours ago, ulala said:

my memory stick died whilst running autobleem, lost all my save states.

It is rather Russian roulette unless you are using one of the approved memory sticks. Though when it happened to me I found all I had to do was replace the db file, all the other stuff was still there. Luck of the draw I guess.

1 hour ago, dumpster said:

Looked at this thread a few times now, and only this morning do I see the spelling mistake. 

I've been deliberately not mentioning it because it amuses me.

What I'm waiting for here (and I picked up a PS Classic from Facebook Marketplace last night for £20 to try this out) is the OP to continue to be expanded and to make good on the claim that the PS Classic is the best solution for emulation for 99% of people.  I did a thread a while ago to see what people thought was the best overall emulation machine taking everything into account and I still think it's the Wii.  Sure, the Nvidia Shield TV does more modern emulation, but it's £150 compared with a second hand Wii from Cash Generator for a tenner.  But the Wii doesn't have HDMI and so it goes on - there are so many variables from one format to another.  I like the PS Classic, I'm impressed with the size of it, and I'm looking forward to giving this a go.  But so far, here are my negatives:

• The controllers are wired.  This is a big problem for me because......
  • The unit doesn't come with a power supply. So I have to power it with a phone charger, or from the TV's USB, which is a problem because....
  • The controllers are wired! So the console is near the TV, and the wires on the controllers are not that long.
  • The controllers are not analogue.  The machine supports DREAMCAST emulation, and so I need to get hold of a 360 controller, or buy a wireless pad.

One of the great things about using a Wii (or Wii-U) for emulation is that you effectively get perfect 'emulation' of the native machine, meaning that you get perfect 8 and 16 bit emulation, with 100% Gamecube and Wii (and Wii-U) as well.  It's a fantastic all-in-one machine.  So if the PS Classic can do Wii and Cube as well as PS1, PSP etc, this could possibly be a new contender beating the Wii.  Shame about the controllers, but I'll be watching this thread with interest. 

Your controller argument is a bit weird too, I mean, unless you have a classic controller, you're stuck with 2 button waggle shit. You can use a Dual Shock 4 , Retrobit Sega pads or just spend £1.59 on a 2m USB A > A cable from ebay to sort out the controller woes. And you don't have to rely on some second hand, decade old, yellowed piece of crap from CEX just because it's got special pain in the arse Nintendo brand connectors.

Not to mention this thing will work with pretty much any USB controller, my Mad Catz SFV PS4 stick works great. Now with Nintendo, you've got those previously mentioned wanky proprietry connectors which is half the reason I sacked off the SNES classic as an all in one box, as all the controller options for it don't suit me.

PSX Classic + 6 Button USB Mega Drive pad (comes with a 3M cable) = Retro heaven

• Upvote 1

Yeah, for sheer ease of getting it going (download stuff onto a memory stick, plug in memory stick), I have not seen anything to match it. Maybe Retropie, but you had to suffer the Linux bootup everytime.

3 hours ago, ulala said:

the Wii is not exactly easy to mod or install emulators, so that cannot be the best overall solution.

The Wii is exceptionally easy to mod.  Takes about 5 minutes. 

2 hours ago, Down by Law said:

Your controller argument is a bit weird too, I mean, unless you have a classic controller, you're stuck with 2 button waggle shit. You can use a Dual Shock 4 , Retrobit Sega pads or just spend £1.59 on a 2m USB A > A cable from ebay to sort out the controller woes. And you don't have to rely on some second hand, decade old, yellowed piece of crap from CEX just because it's got special pain in the arse Nintendo brand connectors.

Not to mention this thing will work with pretty much any USB controller, my Mad Catz SFV PS4 stick works great. Now with Nintendo, you've got those previously mentioned wanky proprietry connectors which is half the reason I sacked off the SNES classic as an all in one box, as all the controller options for it don't suit me.

PSX Classic + 6 Button USB Mega Drive pad (comes with a 3M cable) = Retro heaven

You're right, but this is the sort of thing I would like to see in the OP.  I want to know I can plug my wired 360 pad in and be good to go without buying other stuff. 

2 hours ago, SozzlyJoe said:

Yeah, for sheer ease of getting it going (download stuff onto a memory stick, plug in memory stick), I have not seen anything to match it. Maybe Retropie, but you had to suffer the Linux bootup everytime.

I'll post how I get on because I'm doing it right now.....

7 hours ago, ulala said:

the Wii is not exactly easy to mod or install emulators, so that cannot be the best overall solution.

Yeah, also, I really don't like Wii the interface. The way you boot through each console "channel" takes time and looks ugly. (Also, the way you boot gamecube ntsc games is really inconvenient, which may be a bit of an unfair comparison). That said, I don't think you'll be getting Wii / Wii-U emulation on the classic anytime soon, so you have to take that into account, but I would ask: is that more important than ease of set-up, or a single unified interface?

As for the wired pad length, you could always buy the 8BitDo PlayStation Classic Adapter. That will then wirelessly link to your PS4 or Switch Pro controller. I have done the power mod and bought a USB hub which had a meter long cable so now I basically a four player multi-tap which I can even use in-conjunction with my 8BitDo.

I think, for the price, you get a fast machine with a great pad (analogue aside) that covers everything I am looking to emulate. But, hey, I am not really here to sell you on it. You make your own mind up.

Very impressed by PlayStation , SNES, Megadrive so far.  

Not got DC working yet.

Jaguar is very slow. 

On to try 3DO next!  

Impressed so far.

• Upvote 1

Update: put retro boot for Autobleem on my usb stick. Just loaded a few sample files on and tested. 

The mega drive core runs sweet. The PCSX rearmed core sounds noticeably better than the stock PCSX. 

Couldnt get the menu driver to switch to ozone however. Also, the core options for arcade dumps still confuses me. Did get super turbo working however. 

All in on all a nice little addition to Autobleem. I don’t want to fill it up with stuff that’ll never get played however so will just leave it empty with the option of dumping my legally owned carts at a later date. 

Edit: forgot to add, I’ll try switching out the joypad another time to test my usb Saturn pad with retro boot. 

im having great trouble reading any memory stick ive put autobleem on once its been in the PS mini.

When i put it back in my pc to add more games, its unrecognised (doesnt even get a drive letter). This has happened with two memory sticks now, any ideas why?

1 hour ago, ulala said:

im having great trouble reading any memory stick ive put autobleem on once its been in the PS mini.

When i put it back in my pc to add more games, its unrecognised (doesnt even get a drive letter). This has happened with two memory sticks now, any ideas why?

35 minutes ago, Ninja Doctor said:

Sounds like they’re marginal on the power consumption and corrupting. 

Yeah, although I haven't experienced it personally, that does sound right. I would either attempt the power mod that Ninja Docter linked to in the main thread or order the Cruzer Fit 64 GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive (2018 version) or the Samsung 128 GB USB Flash Drive from amazon.

18 minutes ago, Sprite Machine said:

How is this for input lag, natively and when using Retroarch?

(For reference, Retroarch is bad for lag on my SNES Mini, but native games are nice and snappy.)

its pretty good actually, im using autobleem and it runs games good enough for a £20 bit of hardware

its no fpga solution, but if you want to run ps1 games via hdmi with really nice controllers (sans analogue), you cannot go far wrong.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sprite Machine said:

How is this for input lag, natively and when using Retroarch?

(For reference, Retroarch is bad for lag on my SNES Mini, but native games are nice and snappy.)

Yeah, I haven't noticed any on the games I've tested. But I am not sensitive to it, so I may be a poor judge.