Games set in ancient Japan (list thread?)

14 hours ago, MK-1601 said:

Last Blade 1+2

There have been at least two games based on James Clavell's Shogun. As well as Shogun Total War of course.

Shogun on the C64 falls into the category of games I would have loved in the day but can't make head or tail of it now. Cash or pocket?

The Amiga version being a text adventure is more straight forward.

Shogun_22.png

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, Kiwi Cake said:

The game that launched a thousand PS2s.

220px-Kessen_Coverart.png.304ef058d94735db445e4502c2870d0c.png

This was so amazing. Especially ng+ where you go to play as the 'bad guys'! 

Way of the Samurai was similarly epic. 

Man, they don't make em like this any more :(

• Upvote 2

Most of these games listed are set in feudal Japan, not ancient Japan. You need to go back a good 1000 years or more from the likes of Onimusha, Genji, Sekiro or Tenchu! 

• Upvote 1

Actually, anything involving Shoguns is at least 600 years too new as well, and the origins of Samurai are basically part of the definition of the classical Japan era that followed ancient Japan.

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, Unofficial Who said:

And I guess Ninja was set in ancient Japan.

Nope - karate wasn't around until a good 700-odd years after the ancient Japan era. Ninja themselves are from feudal Japan. 

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, deKay said:

Actually, anything involving Shoguns is at least 600 years too new as well, and the origins of Samurai are basically part of the definition of the classical Japan era that followed ancient Japan.

Given the examples listed by the OP, he clearly meant feudal Japan instead of ancient Japan 

Although there's a very cool example of a game set in ancient Japan: Otogi.

Oh and Okami

2 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Given the examples listed by the OP, he clearly meant feudal Japan instead of ancient Japan 

Although there's a very cool example of a game set in ancient Japan: Otogi.

Nope - that's Heian, about 400 years after the end of the ancient era. Okami is classical Japan too, not ancient.

You basically need something set before 500AD, in the Kofun or earlier eras. Most games set in historical Japan are in the Sengoku period (1400-1600-ish) or later. That's when all the ninja and shoguns and feudal wars and stuff generally are.

7 minutes ago, deKay said:

Nope - that's Heian, about 400 years after the end of the ancient era. Okami is classical Japan too, not ancient.

Are you sure about Okami? It's been a long time since I played it, but I definitely remember it being pre-buddhist - the entire country in that game is based upon Shinto myths exclusively.  Doesn't princess Himiko/Pimiko pop up at some point?

3 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Are you sure about Okami? It's been a long time since I played it, but I definitely remember it being pre-buddhist - the entire country in that game is based upon Shinto myths exclusively. 

Well, you could be correct. All I can see is that the game is set in classical Japan (says Wikipedia), and that (according to the manual) a lot was based on the books Nansou Satomi Hakkenden, written in the 1800s about the Sengoku period.

Just now, deKay said:

Well, you could be correct. All I can see is that the game is set in classical Japan (says Wikipedia), and that (according to the manual) a lot was based on the books Nansou Satomi Hakkenden, written in the 1800s about the Sengoku period.

I just looked it up and you're indeed helping out Princess Himiko/Pimiko in the game. And like I said, the country you traverse is 100% Shinto. Therefore, it's definitely ancient Japan.

Just now, Mr. Gerbik said:

I just looked it up and you're indeed helping out Princess Himiko/Pimiko in the game. And like I said, the country you traverse is 100% Shinto. Therefore, it's definitely ancient Japan.

Ah, but Orochi comes from a Buddist legend.

I don't think it's very historically accurate either way :)

8 minutes ago, deKay said:

Ah, but Orochi comes from a Buddist legend.

I don't think it's very historically accurate either way :)

Orochi comes from a Buddhist legend? Heh, learn something new every day! But regardless, if it's set during the time of Himiko I say it qualifies. Hardly any game, if any, will be historically accurate. Have you seen Onimusha 2 and it's modern day elevator with a demonic finish? Never mind the rest of the game, and yet it's still clearly set during the Sengoku period even if you and I both know Nobunaga probably wasn't an Urotsukidoji-like demon

• Upvote 2

It's already been mentioned and it's been absolutely years since I've played, but I remember Otogi being an incredibly beautiful and haunting game. One of my gaming regrets is that I never played its sequel. 

1 hour ago, crisy said:

It's already been mentioned and it's been absolutely years since I've played, but I remember Otogi being an incredibly beautiful and haunting game. One of my gaming regrets is that I never played its sequel. 

I would be very surprised if both Otogis don't turn up on Xbox BC at some point. And if Ninja Gaiden is any indication, you'll be glad you waited because it will most likely look absolutely gorgeous in 4k.

• Upvote 1

I used the term Ancient Japan loosely, not to highlight a specific period of history. I didn’t even realise there was a period of history with that name! I just meant games with traditional Japanese themes. I don’t care for historical accuracy, just pretty graphics and beautiful sounds.