rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Trumpets

Ugly sequels

Sequels usually improve on the visuals of their predecessors, or at least look as good, but how many are actually less attractive then the previous game/games in the series?

I ask because I recently gave up on Just Cause 4 because of its extreme ugliness. It genuinely looks like an early PS3 game, at least on a standard PS4:

just-cause-4-review-6349-640x640.jpg

Out of curiosity I then went and picked up Just Cause 3 for a few quid and was shocked at how much nicer it looked. It's an attractive, modern looking open world videogame.

I can't think of another series that dropped the graphical ball so badly. CAN YOU?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Yeah it's style shifts to something with a darker or what they perceive to be a more mature tone that usually end up being shitter.

Prince of Persia Warrior Within and Jak II are another two good examples.

• Upvote 6

Duke Nukem Forever - yes it's way above and beyond 3D on a technical level, but think about the other games that were out at the same time as Forever. The thing came out around the summer of 2011, after Bulletstorm, Dead Space, Just Cause II, Vanquish... I could go on. I did eventually pick the game up preowned - just to know - and outside of the dull gameplay and bad writing the thing just looked too flat, dark and uninteresting.

DN3D's visuals were fine for the era and they totally fit the over-the-top action hero stupidity of the game's premise. Forever had visuals that made it look more like a bad mod made by people who hadn't played Duke Nukem.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Trumpets said:

Sequels usually improve on the visuals of their predecessors, or at least look as good, but how many are actually less attractive then the previous game/games in the series?

I ask because I recently gave up on Just Cause 4 because of its extreme ugliness. It genuinely looks like an early PS3 game, at least on a standard PS4:

just-cause-4-review-6349-640x640.jpg

Out of curiosity I then went and picked up Just Cause 3 for a few quid and was shocked at how much nicer it looked. It's an attractive, modern looking open world videogame.

I can't think of another series that dropped the graphical ball so badly. CAN YOU?

This is because Just Cause 3 runs at about 23fps. Just Cause 4 runs at a pretty locked on 30fps and this commitment to performance has seen them get a kicking. 

And it does look a bit rough in places but still manages to look quite nice on the whole and excellent on the Pro/One X. 

In fact, here’s a video I made back when JC3 came out. There’s nothing close to this in JC4. Totally smooth regardless of what you blow up. 

It’s so bad that not even the PS4 Pro’s boost mode could sort it out. 

• Upvote 1

Count Duckula on the CPC is not by any means a pretty game, and being a Speccy port does it no favours in the colour department, but there's some nice detail and the whole thing rattles along at a fair old pace. 

Count Duckula 2, on the other hand, is a hideous travesty so bad it's near impossible to find a video of it that doesn't have someone's commentary on just how awful it is in every department.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Alex W. said:

Halo 2, or as I like to call it “LOD Pop-In Evolved”.

In terms of graphics, Halo 2 shits over the original, but at the cost of performance.

Plenty of things to slag off the sequel for, the graphics and multiplayer being the exceptions ;)

• Downvote 3

As much as I love NSMBU (second best 2D Mario game), the art style is nowhere near as strong as Super Mario World or Yoshi's Island. 

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, mushashi said:

In terms of graphics, Halo 2 shits over the original, but at the cost of performance.

Plenty of things to slag off the sequel for, the graphics and multiplayer being the exceptions ;)

On modern hardware, perhaps, but in 2004 on the Xbox it was very hard to enjoy the intended aesthetic when every time the camera angle changed in a cut-scene, or if you turned around too fast, you were looking at a low-resolution potato sculpture.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Soulstar said:

Alundra 2 I always use this example. 

Same can be said for things like Earthworm Jim 3D and Bubsy 3D. 

Is it cheating to name sequels that were the first time a series switched to 3D? For example, Curse of Monkey Island to Escape From Monkey Island.

24 minutes ago, mushashi said:

Halo 2's graphics were a technical improvement, but I found that in places the cluttered, busier style made it harder to distinguish enemies from backgrounds - especially in the Arbiter levels where there are both ally and enemy Grunts. (The revamped graphics in Halo CE Anniversary Edition also had that problem of overdoing the busyness of the textures, so I tend to play it in original graphics mode.)

That reminds me: the Ys games. The ones with 3D environments and 2D characters look really charming and pretty, they are pretty much timeless in their looks. Ys 7 switched to polygonal characters and they are horrendous. Ugly, charmless, just all round nope 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, HarryBizzle said:

This is because Just Cause 3 runs at about 23fps. Just Cause 4 runs at a pretty locked on 30fps and this commitment to performance has seen them get a kicking. 

And it does look a bit rough in places but still manages to look quite nice on the whole and excellent on the Pro/One X. 

In fact, here’s a video I made back when JC3 came out. There’s nothing close to this in JC4. Totally smooth regardless of what you blow up. 

It’s so bad that not even the PS4 Pro’s boost mode could sort it out. 

I guess I'd rather eat a chunky textured chocolate bar than a piece of really smooth dog shit. Honestly though the reason I avoided 3 for so long was due to the tales of its horrendous framerate, but it's been perfectly fine for me during general play; slowdown during the big explosions is fine by me.

The bomberman games in 3D have always looked far worse to me.  I’d love an update in the Saturn Bomberman style but it seems destined to never happen.

• Upvote 7

56 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

On modern hardware, perhaps, but in 2004 on the Xbox it was very hard to enjoy the intended aesthetic when every time the camera angle changed in a cut-scene, or if you turned around too fast, you were looking at a low-resolution potato sculpture.

I've only ever played Halo 2 on the Xbox, while I have tried the PC version of Halo. On the same hardware, Halo 2 was a huge leap over the original and I generally only ever played the games in splitscreen. I was impressed by it as a technical advancement, shame about the underlying game :P  At least the multiplayer was great, albeit choppy as fuck.

30 minutes ago, Wiper said:

whose pre-rendered characters and over-dense maps just rob the series of its charm (and if anything looks even more soulless in motion):

It's not the only long running game series to have been ruined by the move to (pre-rendered) 3D polygon characters. Charmless being a running theme compared to earlier entries which didn't use that method of character creation.

• Upvote 1

I’d apply that to any SF game post Third Strike. I actually like SF4’s art style but Third Strike is gorgeous and they’ll never match it. 

I don’t think any KOF game will be anywhere close to 13 either. Some of the most beautiful sprite work I’ve ever seen. 

• Upvote 6

37 minutes ago, kernow said:

Sf4 

Well of course it's a step back compared to 3rd Strike; that should go without saying. (This page had a good comparison of the weakness of Chun-Li's attack animation in SF4 compared to SF3.) Another example of 2D-to-3D growing pains.

Or do you mean that Street Fighter IV looks worse than Street Fighter EX3? That would be a like-for-like, 3D-to-3D comparison!

I remember Street Fighter V received a lot of criticism for the inconsistency of its character models as a step back from SF4 (especially Ken's banana hair and character select pose), which was put down to Capcom outsourcing different characters to different studios. Marvel Vs Capcom Infinite also had a ridiculous Chun-Li face at first but they fixed that by the time of in release.

44 minutes ago, Made of Ghosts said:

Advance Wars! They de-cartoonified the backgrounds a lot in AW2 and it looked kinda bland. I guess they wanted the units to “pop” more. 

652B6CE4-467A-4AB7-82D3-D58CD3642942.png

5FE9BA05-5B8C-41CC-9A76-B8909B17B2A3.png

Why is it that almost 20 years later I still hear that theme music the second I see a screenshot?

• Upvote 6

Deathsmiles 2... the move to polygons was a bad choice imo...

Carmageddon TDR. After the brilliant Carmageddon 2, TDR looked shit, ran like shit and played like shit.

It wasn’t very good...

Sim City 5 or whatever they called it. 3000 and 4 had such lovely artwork. 5 lost all that character.

3 hours ago, Nick R said:

Well of course it's a step back compared to 3rd Strike; that should go without saying. (This page had a good comparison of the weakness of Chun-Li's attack animation in SF4 compared to SF3.) Another example of 2D-to-3D growing pains.

Or do you mean that Street Fighter IV looks worse than Street Fighter EX3? That would be a like-for-like, 3D-to-3D comparison!

I remember Street Fighter V received a lot of criticism for the inconsistency of its character models as a step back from SF4 (especially Ken's banana hair and character select pose), which was put down to Capcom outsourcing different characters to different studios. Marvel Vs Capcom Infinite also had a ridiculous Chun-Li face at first but they fixed that by the time of in release.

I just didn't enjoy the art style at all. Or the game. 

The ink splashes over the chunky 3d models really jarred with me. Plus art style no thanks 

Ugly 

Sf4-ryu_big.jpg

• Empathy 1

I always wondered what it'd be like if SF4 went further with the in-game ink style - go full Okami, instead of only really having the ink effect show up in Focus Attacks.

Having said that, apart from some of the hand sizes I liked most of the character select screen portraits, which significantly toned down the ink splashes compared to the promo art you posted above:

https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2014/dec/31/hi-res-ultra-street-fighter-4-character-select-portraits-all-44-fighters/

My favourite promotional character art of the series was probably the style used for Marvel Vs Capcom 2:wub:

• Upvote 1