rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
JohnC

Pixar's Onward

Stars Chris Pratt, Tom Holland, Julia Louis-Dreyfus and Octavia Spencer. Pratt and Holland are Ian and Barley Lighfoot, two elf brothers who set out to discover if there's enough magic left out there to spend one day with their father, who died before they can remember.

3 hours ago, JohnC said:

to spend one day with their father, who died before they can remember.

This is like the Pixar cliche in a nutshell. They want you to well up just from reading the synopsis now. Find a new angle FFS!

I'm starting to hate them.

• Upvote 3

Looks passable, which is damning with faint praise. They've dropped a long way since the one-two of Wall-E and Up :(

2 hours ago, Treble said:

Looks passable, which is damning with faint praise. They've dropped a long way since the one-two of Wall-E and Up :(

Their best run was a one-two-three-four: Ratatouille, WALL-E, Up and Toy Story 3.

• Upvote 7

Holy shit, this is an idea I get presented with by at least one animation undergraduate every year.

Staggered.

12 hours ago, cubik said:

This looks like it will age as well as Shrek and its many sequels.

Shrek and Shrek 2 are masterpieces. This wishes it can be as good as those. 

• Upvote 1

Was Jack Black busy?

Because Chris Pratt's character was clearly designed and written for Jack Black.

It's got a short playing before it.

A Simpsons short.

Let's synergise the fuck out of this new relationship.

(Alternatively, Eat my short)

16 minutes ago, JohnC said:

It's got a short playing before it.

A Simpsons short.

now I'm not going to see it even harder.

It's a lot better than the Simpsons short. But the Simpsons short is ok as Simpsons shorts go.

I thought the Simpsons short was quite bad. And a bit weird. A group of kids were sat behind us and one said "this is a bit cringe" and I found myself nodding in agreement. 

I enjoyed Onward, though. It starts slow, but gets better and better. There's a tremendously entertaining mid-film chase and the final half-hour is really something - someone likened it to Back To The Future in the way everything comes together, and while it's not on that level, it's clever and affecting and probably Pixar's best ending since Toy Story 3.

I thought it was the best Pixar offering for years. I think this one will be very rewatchable, which I haven't really found with much recent Pixar. 

I must agree that the Simpson short was shit. Also a big NO to Mickey Mouse being in the Gracie Films bit at the end. 

• Upvote 1

Saw this today and thought it was great. My two boys loved it as well.

Just a really good road movie/coming of age adventure with a great third act and

Spoiler

The ending got a lot of dust in my eyes as well.

While the premise is nothing original - it is just really well done.

1 hour ago, Ork1927 said:

Reveal hidden contents

The ending got a lot of dust in my eyes as well.

Same. Was quite glad to be in a fairly quiet cinema that didn't insist on putting the house lights on the moment the end credits start.

Enjoyed the film. It's three star Pixar for the most part, but there are flashes of brilliance. The animation, while not quite as astounding as Coco, is also beautiful, especially some of the light effects when spells are cast.

Its out on the high seas, would have loved to gone and seen it in the cinema but won't have a chance. Gutted as I have seen every Pixar movie since Toy Story 1 and this is the first film I have missed:(

55 minutes ago, yakumo said:

Its out on the high seas, would have loved to gone and seen it in the cinema but won't have a chance. Gutted as I have seen every Pixar movie since Toy Story 1 and this is the first film I have missed:(

Disney released it digitally in the US yesterday and then it's going to be on Disney+ in April

1 hour ago, wev said:

Disney released it digitally in the US yesterday and then it's going to be on Disney+ in April

That's great news, still wish I could have seen it in the cinema though. Even with DIsney+ I be watching at an abysmal 20" monitor with stereo speakers.

8 hours ago, wev said:

That’s the one thing that Disney and girls actually have in common.