rllmuk
djbhammer

Call of Duty - Modern Warfare

Aesthetically, they nailed the MW look.

But gameplay has moved on since 2007, and despite ripping some elements from Siege, it still falls way behind that game in 2019. MP is just stop-start and deaths are random and unavoidable. I actually prefered Blops 4.

Uninstalled.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

No this weekend is specifically a cross play beta. I had a couple not games earlier where there were pc icons on the player list (which is probably Xbox players as well as having the competitors icons on your format seems to be a no-no).

Ah apologies, to be more clear I mean specifically the input based matchmaking isn't present in the beta, not the crossplay itself. Crossplay itself has been working nicely and tbh I haven't seen a lot of PC players completing trouncing console players as much as I thought I would. (Doesn't mean there isn't an advantage of course)

Just now, mr_woo said:

Ah apologies, to be more clear I mean specifically the input based matchmaking isn't present in the beta, not the crossplay itself. Crossplay itself has been working nicely and tbh I haven't seen a lot of PC players completing trouncing console players as much as I thought I would. (Doesn't mean there isn't an advantage of course)

Ah got you.

I've started getting good at this. That was unexpected. The Conquest game mode is a bit of a mess and sniper city, and HQ confused the shit out of me but TDM and Domination are as you'd expect. I'm really surprised I've started warming to it as I really didn't think I would. Balls.

6 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

No this weekend is specifically a cross play beta. I had a couple not games earlier where there were pc icons on the player list (which is probably Xbox players as well as having the competitors icons on your format seems to be a no-no).

No they would have been PC, it shows the PS4 and Xbox logo's in the loading screen depending on what platform they are playing on.

5 hours ago, gooner4life said:

No they would have been PC, it shows the PS4 and Xbox logo's in the loading screen depending on what platform they are playing on.

I haven't had that, I've had the PS logo, what looks like a monitor and what looks like a pc tower. All have had pads. Dauntless did the same, it wouldn't show the PlayStation logo on the Xbox so Christ knows.

2 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

I haven't had that, I've had the PS logo, what looks like a monitor and what looks like a pc tower. All have had pads. Dauntless did the same, it wouldn't show the PlayStation logo on the Xbox so Christ knows.

It shows the logo of the platform they are playing on in the lobby and also shows their input type. I've been matched up against Xbox players with mouse & keyboard, pc banners and Xbox pad gamer. 

@Mr Tony I ant got a scooby what's going on because this is all I get. They've always been pads and they're always either that monitor looking logo or one that looks like a tower.

Not that it matters, I just wanted to prove I'm not going fucking bananas.

EFC3Q8bWkAAIWCe.jpeg

1 minute ago, Dave White said:

Ground war really is worth the price of admission alone.

I want to give that mode more time but I know that it'll take a good few games to get past the 'die instantly' phase because of the size of it. It's worth sticking with then?

1 minute ago, moosegrinder said:

I want to give that mode more time but I know that it'll take a good few games to get past the 'die instantly' phase because of the size of it. It's worth sticking with then?

Totally. Was getting rinsed yesterday at first. Then settled in. Mixing objectives up, and scanning for the campers. Running Overkill with a sniper as my secondary. 

Totally changed my play style and getting much better results.

Kind of obvious but guns up every corner is like night and day. As is checking as best as you can before running into the open. 

What a superb package this years offering will be. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Dave White said:

Totally. Was getting rinsed yesterday at first. Then settled in. Mixing objectives up, and scanning for the campers. Running Overkill with a sniper as my secondary. 

Totally changed my play style and getting much better results.

Kind of obvious but guns up every corner is like night and day. As is checking as best as you can before running into the open. 

What a superb package this years offering will be. 

I'm just super skeptical of post launch support, as in how badly will they fuck up the balances and pay to win guns. Historically speaking it's an absolute cert that they will do something fucking stupid and that genuinely puts me off giving them my money.

Saying that my resolve has never been the best...

24 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

@Mr Tony I ant got a scooby what's going on because this is all I get. They've always been pads and they're always either that monitor looking logo or one that looks like a tower.

Not that it matters, I just wanted to prove I'm not going fucking bananas.

EFC3Q8bWkAAIWCe.jpeg

Tower = PC

TV = Different console to the one you're playing on

6 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

Tower = PC

TV = Different console to the one you're playing on

No, I know that. What I'm saying is I'm not getting the Xbox logo. It doesn't matter but I just find it curious.

48 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

No, I know that. What I'm saying is I'm not getting the Xbox logo. It doesn't matter but I just find it curious.

You won't because you're playing on PS4 so you'll just see a TV for Xbox players and Xbox player will see a TV for PS4 players.

4 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

You won't because you're playing on PS4 so you'll just see a TV for Xbox players and Xbox player will see a TV for PS4 players.

So does just the pc version show the logos then?

Ground War 32 v 32 is just phenomenal - so hectic and full of action at every turn.  I really see myself spending the most amount of time in this mode when the game launches.  Hopefully they add a few more maps to this mode.  My usual strategy at the moment in GW involves patroling the rooftops of those two central buildings near C flag as that tends to be where the majority of the action is. @Dave White I like your tactics of using Overkill with a Sniper rifle backup.  Might try that tonight, though I'm sure I will miss my handy rocket to blow up tanks and helicopters and get those kills.

My best games so far in multiplayer have been a 35-6 and 32-2 on Domination, both of them in Gun Runner.  Mainly involving camping in that small room with the tiny passage with claymores on both sides and just waiting for my VTOL and Heli Support to come in. :D

• Upvote 1

The colourblind options in this are shit - all it seems to do is apply a filter to the whole screen but I still can't see the difference between my squad and the enemy's colours!

the more I play this the more its so apparent the care and attention in the map design is just second to none. Its so much more than 3 lanes, the site lines and corners have been so considered. Theres so many opportunities to shoot through tiny gaps and the likes, but the flow isn't compromised. It really does feel like the logical successor to MW2.

That Grazna Map is a bonafide classic. 

• Empathy 1

I was really enjoying it when I logged off last night. Got into the rhythm of it, usually coming top 3 on scoreboards. One personal point of pride was a game of domination where I only got 7 kills but came second and only a couple of hundred points behind top who had 20 kills. PLAY THE FUCKING OBJECTIVE.

Ground War is good but it's not for me, which is ironic because in battlefield I pretty much play conquest exclusively. I do wonder if big game types are the reason I don't enjoy that any more. I haven't really played it in months.

So yeah, level 28, level 21 or so on the first 3 assault rifles. It's also interesting that they've limited the kill streaks to one from each bracket, so you can't have UAV and Counter UAV for example. Theres a lot to like here.

Also the Scottish lass for the Coalition has the best accent. I kind of wish it was less professional sounding and she yelled something like "AH'M EN YERE FECKIN TEAM, YA GOBSHITE" but y'know.

• Upvote 1

The M4 was definitely my most played weapon by far.  But last night I ended up trying the Odin and it has quickly become my assault rifle of choice.  If you put stopping power on it (no need for munition packs in ground war as they're all over the place anyway), then it's a two shot kill from any range.  Absolute beast.

The MP5 is a monster too - close second or third best gun in the game.

So sad that the beta is done, but there is so much to look forward to for when the game launches properly next month.

Here's the video that made me try out the Odin:

This is an odd question in a COD thread perhaps, especially as I understand and enjoyed BL4...

...but what is the mass appeal of playing an instant-respawn shooter on maps where cover is removed by design and there’s tons of cheese strategies...

...compared to single spawn rounds where gadgets permanently affect the map and intel gathering means death is always your own fault rather than luck or map design?

The latter is a far superior and rewarding experience.

• Downvote 1

I found it to be much more enjoyable than Blops 4 - Plenty of cover,  slower paced , considered play offered rewards. I was consisitently geting a K/D of 1.5+ (my best was 33 kills to 3 deaths) so I must be really , really lucky.

I'm liking the back to basics approach. I may well pre-order

41 minutes ago, PeteBrant said:

I found it to be much more enjoyable than Blops 4 - Plenty of cover,  slower paced , considered play offered rewards. I was consisitently geting a K/D of 1.5+ (my best was 33 kills to 3 deaths) so I must be really , really lucky.

I'm liking the back to basics approach. I may well pre-order

The first gun I got on the beta only had single shot or burst, which meant in most 1v1 situations I got totally rinsed. I assume useful guns are unlocked at higher levels.

• Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

The first gun I got on the beta only had single shot or burst, which meant in most 1v1 situations I got totally rinsed. I assume useful guns are unlocked at higher levels.

Dude this is all you, because you get more than one gun at the start. I used the first two assault rifles almost exclusively (AK-47 and I think m1a). Even if you were level 1 before you can alter your loadout the 5 classes have guns you don't unlock for configuration until the higher levels anyway.