IGNORED

Call of Duty - Modern Warfare

djbhammer

Day 2 of trying to pIay Modern Warfare.

Overnight the add-ons it said I’d downloaded which weren’t downloaded became available as individual options.

Finally! I thought, and downloaded the 11.4gb Campaign. After that tried to play a game and got a message telling me relevant components weren’t downloaded. So, no Campaign for me.

So now I think I’m at the stage @K was talking about where you have to download all the crap just to play the game, which makes having them separate pointless.

I’ll try and play tomorrow, Day 3, once it’s all installed.

If I hadn’t been raised on loose Spectrum connections and Azimuth head-aligners I’d have thrown it in the bin long ago.

This game is actually the worst COD as a disc space hog and to actually get it working and playable. I tried on the PS5 when I got it, and gave up in the end. 

Somehow joining it together with Warzone (and its true of the next 2 games too) made it a disaster

Got it working finally.

Looks amazing but there are some serious frame-rate dips. Surprising as I thought it would be a buttery 60fps at least.

Edit: Turns out that, apart from borking the installation, the last update causes stuttering. Utter shiteness.

Trying to play this on my PS4 and it’s being a shit. 

Downloaded the game. Can’t l play it. Got the multiplayer components. Still can’t play multiplayer. Downloading the campaign now as

Maybe that’s needed for multiplayer. Christ. 

Got Warzone, got the campaign, got the multiplayer (both packs). Just says Installation Suspended on the main menu for the game selector. What a pain in the bum this is. 

I think they tried to counter the monster space requirements by making everything modular, but it just didn't work that well, probably things were more interdependent than they expected. And it's odd to see a game constantly prompt you to uninstall bits of itself. And the common front end is an obvious move to push you to buying the newer games (how weird is it that when you start one game you can see a splash loading screen for a different one that you don't even own?)

Anyhow due to these stupid decisions now they are stuck with this horror.

• 2 months later...

I really liked Modern Warfare when it launched. It played a much slower, much more considered version of CoD. The guns all felt amazing and it looked absolutely cracking with it. Then they slowly started chipping away at what made it different to appeal to the people that want the same McDonalds Shootymans every year, added about 4,000 nonsense menus and gave it 80gb updates every other day and I just lost all drive to play the stupid thing. 

Oh also Activision are bastards, if you needed reminding. I may jump in on this once a second hand copy becomes available and just sell it once they hugely overcomplicate/overstimulate my stupid old brain. 

Modern warfare was fantastic, particularly at first. This is probably my most wanted game. But you’re right I just hope they stick to the original vision and don’t change it 

Just like Vanguard I'll try it and make a decision. I owned Vanguard for 5 minutes when Tesco closed their game section in our Extra and then traded it at CEX for the value I bought it for. I think I might just be done with CoD. I don't mind cosmetics and all that kind of nonsense but with CoD it's fucking exhausting how you're bombarded with prompts to buy them.

6 minutes ago, englishbob said:

CGI reveal trailer, what a waste of money 

"The ultimate weapon is team" - wow, that is well weapon 

Well, it'll all be running real-time if that's any consolation. 

This has been well off my radar - partly because I was done with CoD a fair old while ago, but I'm wondering if they'll be keeping in the controversial level (was it called 'No Russian'?). I mean, it was pretty gruesome back in the day, but I'm really not up for mowing down (or at least being an observer) of innocent folk. Or is this Modern Warfare 2 a completely different thing?

I will be very surprised if this is not a gamepass day 1, even pre acquisition. 

It sells best PlayStation platforms anyway, and it is a sure fire way to get many over to the Xbox eco system. 

Plus most of the money made now for this will be through endless cosmetics and season passes. 

until the deal goes through it will be tricky to get on Gamepass, at the least it will mean MS have to pay for it and at worst they won't be allowed to as it may look dodgy as they haven't bought activision yet.

On another note, I enjoyed COD MW1,2,3 back in the day - are these new ones remakes? remasters? reimaginings? I can see Soap and Price are in the trailers. I am only slightly confused as I thought MW or MW2 got remastered or the multiplayer did a few years back.

My shootymans itch is back and Fortnite doesn't quite satiate it :D

11 hours ago, JoeK said:

Well, it'll all be running real-time if that's any consolation. 

This has been well off my radar - partly because I was done with CoD a fair old while ago, but I'm wondering if they'll be keeping in the controversial level (was it called 'No Russian'?). I mean, it was pretty gruesome back in the day, but I'm really not up for mowing down (or at least being an observer) of innocent folk. Or is this Modern Warfare 2 a completely different thing?

The last Modern Warfare was a complete reboot, so it didn't have any of the actual levels from the original game. So I doubt that they'd put No Russian in the next game, but they might have something similarly edgy and self-consciously controversial. There was a fair bit of the edgy stuff in MW (2019), but I suspect they might row it back a bit for the sequel given the sensitivities around Russia, and the way that the controversial stuff in the last game didn't attract that much comment.

The best CoD campaigns are fantastic, so I'd be annoyed if they ditched them (even if the last few have been a bit underwhelming). And it feels like Activision's experiments with launching a game without one didn't go down so well, so I would be surprised if they decided to abandon them.

I don't remember the MW2 campaign being that short. It's one I replayed a lot, as there are some great levels like the Red Dawn ones in suburbia, or the gulag jailbreak. 

So this is 'Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II', the second installment of the reboot, rather than a remaster of 'Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2' - which was the sequel to 'Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare'?

2 minutes ago, pledge said:

So this is 'Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II', the second installment of the reboot, rather than a remaster of 'Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2' - which was the sequel to 'Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare'?

You'd have to ask marketing 

Going by the trailer it looks like it will sort of cover the events of 1 and 2, though not beat for beat with this being a rebooted continuity n all.

Not sure who the new guy is, for example. Obviously there is NewPrice, NewSoap, NewGaz, and NewGhost (lets see if those last two can avoid getting shot in the face this time), and by the looks of it Griggs is now skinny white dude with a dodgy haircut.

Either way it has reminded me to listen to more metallica.

• 1 month later...
On 09/06/2022 at 11:51, englishbob said:

I'm still amazed they bother with a campaign, surely no one spends out on this just for it. Didn't the original MW2 have one of the shortest ever, like single digit hours?

I love the campaigns. :unsure:

26 minutes ago, womblingfree said:

installation space hog

The last x2 CODs have been much better in this regard, Vanguard is the smallest even and looks amazing. 

Just because its IW this time doesn't mean it can get away with the bloatware of the last game, otherwise it'll consume the entire PS5 SSD.

Hopefully they won't lump War Zone next gen version in with it, cause I've got no interest in playing that