rllmuk

Call of Duty - Modern Warfare

15 hours ago, englishbob said:

Last word on the size of this thing. If released physically today it would take 4 Blu-Ray discs to install...

(I still think lumping Warzone into the MW game was a mistake)

I’m hoping Warzone is a free spin off in the future 

For about 3 weeks now, my Warzone experience has been extremely laggy (pretty much unplayable).  It's strange though because multiplayer is smooth as butter.  Does anyone else have the same experience? 

My internet speed is extremely fast (900 mbps dl / 400 mbps ul) and my ps4 is connected directly to my router.

I think my main issue is trying to get the NAT type to be anything other than Moderate.  I've tried the port forwarding thing quite a few times, but it still shows as moderate.  I usually play with the same 3 guys who all live quite closeby, and even if I'm the host it's a complete lagfest.

Just wondering if anyone's experience has been similar?

On Xbox mine is perpetually set to moderate, I gave up trying to change it and the only lag I've encountered has been infrequent and in the lobby.

Is it on an external drive or an internal? Because if it's not your internet it's most likely a hardware issue. Maybe trying to pull all the streaming information for the Verdansk map is making it chug? 

Or maybe it needs reinstalling? 

5 hours ago, englishbob said:

Not sure what you mean

Sorry, I should've been clearer. Keep it away from the “main game” so that updates can be smaller. I’ve no interest in Warzone. MW is a great COD game but the updates have been painful.

• Upvote 1

With the warmer weather approaching, and the inability or will to bother to fix the fan issue on PS4 (in, of all places, the fucking menus) this game is now on its way out of my rotation and will be ultimately shelved for the next thing.

Its a shame, it plays great, but my playtime recently has been really a frustrating one online. I'm not talking about the other players, the community there is as rancid and abusive as just about anywhere on the planet, but its more about the shit playlist thing, rather than using game modes and lobbies. 

What do I mean by that? Normally if you want to play one game mode, once the game ends the same players are kept on the lobby, quick vote on the next map and on we go. In this version, every game starts and ends, and then its back to matchmaking, new lobby etc. and the whole process draws out long into the day.

The past couple of play sessions have been really frustrating...

Matchmaking and searching - joined lobby - Match has already started, its half the way through with no chance to catch-up. 

Next game - match in progress, again someone already has 15 kills, or there is about a minute to go. 

Join another game, match in progress. Fuck this, what a waste of gaming time this is. 

Of course I said the other players weren't an issue, but the bunny hopping bullshit is hilariously bad, and if you have a gun that fires pink or purple bullet trails, you are a nonce.

• 2 weeks later...

Why the hell is a patch that is only 23gb in size still refusing to download when there is slightly over 100gb free on my ps4?  It's really annoying having to sacrifice games I'd rather not uninstall to free up the space for this.

• Upvote 1
23 minutes ago, sdmilne said:

Why the hell is a patch that is only 23gb in size still refusing to download when there is slightly over 100gb free on my ps4?  It's really annoying having to sacrifice games I'd rather not uninstall to free up the space for this.

It seems to make a copy of the game to patch it (then deletes the old copy). This is good practice in general as if the patch failed you still have the old install, but real bad news in the case of this game as it temporarily needs some huge-ass amount of space.

It's obvious to all that Activision have chosen a totally busted method to deliver this game. Patching is supposed to be for small changes, not to deliver reams of new data. Why doesn't all the new stuff come as DLC packs, and not require patching at all? I guess that wouldn't be 'seamless'.

Good thing is - from Cerny's tech deep dive - The fan's kicking up in the menus because there's nothing much to render and the crazy patching process should be a thing of the past with the PS5. All of this was directly addressed. I'd also assume it'll be the case with the XsX. 

• Upvote 1
30 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Good thing is - from Cerny's tech deep dive - The fan's kicking up in the menus because there's nothing much to render and the crazy patching process should be a thing of the past with the PS5. All of this was directly addressed. I'd also assume it'll be the case with the XsX. 

There is no fan/menu issue with the Xbox One X, although the patch issue being fixed would be nice.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Isaac said:

There is no fan/menu issue with the Xbox One X, although the patch issue being fixed would be nice.

Mines noisier on the menus than in game. Saying that I've had to replace an X because of the racket it made.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Have you got a link? 

The fan noise thing in the menus is plain lazy and dumb really. An option to turn off all the background animations would be a fix in itself.

4 minutes ago, englishbob said:

Have you got a link? 

The fan noise thing in the menus is plain lazy and dumb really. An option to turn off all the background animations would be a fix in itself.

We've been tallking about this in the PS4 Console thread, you need to open your PS4 and give your fan the compressed air treatment. Helped a lot for me with COD.

• Upvote 1

Done the compressed air thing a fair few times, makes no difference with this game. It's a performance bug that needs patching. According to others this also happened with Rocket League and was sorted with a patch to lock the framerate. 

As @moosegrinder said, its only in the lobby and MP menus, not the game itself.

Many tips online say go into the Weapons edit screen and do a preview of a weapon to shut the fan up while you wait in the lobby

10 minutes ago, englishbob said:

Have you got a link? 

Time stamped - 

"Processing simple geometry can require more power than processing dense geometry" 

Horizon's map screen makes the fan's kick right up, just like the pre-game menu's of COD MW. 

It's like the machine is going full pelt but rendering something simple producing a lot of unnecessary heat, if that makes sense. 

This seems to be why they're going with variable clocks. 

• Upvote 1
Just now, englishbob said:

Done the compressed air thing a fair few times, makes no difference with this game. It's a performance bug that needs patching. According to others this also happened with Rocket League and was sorted with a patch to lock the framerate. 

As @moosegrinder said, its only in the lobby and MP menus, not the game itself.

That's a shame. Did you go so far as to remove the power block and spray the fan from the side too? Apparently that can make a difference.

Not trying to shift the blame from Activision at all, no way COD should be grinding away like that on a menu. But it doesn't look like they are inclined to do jack about it.

4 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Time stamped - 

"Processing simple geometry can require more power than processing dense geometry" 

Horizon's map screen makes the fan's kick right up, just like the pre-game menu's of COD MW. 

It's like the machine is going full pelt but rendering something simple producing a lot of unnecessary heat, if that makes sense. 

This seems to be why they're going with variable clocks. 

Wow this guy really knows his onions! 

Seems to me that if they've always known this, why developers of first party titles with exclusivity to PS4 don't work around this. I've not played Horizon Zero Dawn, but a map screen that displays a couple of triangles on-screen and in doing so tries to melt the PS4, seems stupid to me. Just work around the problem of not making it do this.

5 minutes ago, SozzlyJoe said:

That's a shame. Did you go so far as to remove the power block and spray the fan from the side too? Apparently that can make a difference.

Not trying to shift the blame from Activision at all, no way COD should be grinding away like that on a menu. But it doesn't look like they are inclined to do jack about it.

Didn't try this, but pretty sure I'm out of compressed air now anyway! 

I've not removed any power block though, just the top cover. Is the power block removal something that is easy, or complex so I make a complete fuck up out of it?

5 minutes ago, englishbob said:

Wow this guy really knows his onions! 

Seems to me that if they've always known this, why developers of first party titles with exclusivity to PS4 don't work around this. I've not played Horizon Zero Dawn, but a map screen that displays a couple of triangles on-screen and in doing so tries to melt the PS4, seems stupid to me. Just work around the problem of not making it do this.

It seems they just can't with sustained clock speeds on the APU and variable power consumption. So it's needed a hardware redesign to over come it. 

1 minute ago, englishbob said:

Didn't try this, but pretty sure I'm out of compressed air now anyway! 

I've not removed any power block though, just the top cover. Is the power block removal something that is easy, or complex so I make a complete fuck up out of it?

It's easy, philips screws, you just lift it out. Gives you access to the fan grille from the side. Otherwise you are kind of blowing dust as much into the fan as out. Might not be the silver bullet though, don't want to get your hopes up!

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, englishbob said:

Quick few games of FFA in MW over lunchtime....oh no, wait another 21+GB patch for what looks like Warzone. Fucking great.

Ditto <_<

So you have to get quickscopes to unlock the new sniper. As you can imagine that's turned most multiplayer lobbies into a shitshow. This is my typical game. Load up shitment, get my kills, check they have counted then fuck off. Total farce. 

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, englishbob said:

Quick few games of FFA in MW over lunchtime....oh no, wait another 21+GB patch for what looks like Warzone. Fucking great.

Same, myself and a work colleague who's leaving this Friday wanted to pop on for a quick pew pew sesh and of course there's a fucking patch. :mellow:

1 hour ago, p1nseeker said:

So you have to get quickscopes to unlock the new sniper. As you can imagine that's turned most multiplayer lobbies into a shitshow. This is my typical game. Load up shitment, get my kills, check they have counted then fuck off. Total farce. 

Quickscoping should have been patched out the first time it appeared in the series. The fact its still going makes a mockery really of all the effort and attention to detail they put into the game and makes it laughable in some respects. More worrying is that although removal it would obviously make it a better game, it seems they are scared to do so for some reason.

It needs a shake up on quite a few levels, and when we say its one of one of the best versions in the recent series, there is still so much they could do to shake things up. But no doubt wall running and jetpacks will be back for the next one.

The best game and the worst game all in one handy package. Absolutely amazing how they pulled that one off, but there it is. I stopped playing during Season 2 and will never go back, it was so good for a while then descended into utter shit.