Amazon pre-order policy change

It seems that Amazon UK, France and Italy have changed their pre-order policy, now you get charged 2-5 days after ordering & not when it's dispatched. 
It's not exclusive to video games but anything that can be pre-ordered. This is a huge change, how many of us rush to Amazon when a new console is announced? Well you better make sure you have the funds up front now! I guess they're just not making quite enough $billions :lol::mad:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/amazon-now-charging-on-order-not-dispatch-for-pre-orders-across-europe.119651/

https://gaminglyf.com/news/2019-05-29-amazon-uk-change-video-game-pre-order-policy-now-take-payment-on-order/

5 minutes ago, Zombait said:

This is a huge change, how many of us rush to Amazon when a new console is announced?

Er, absolutely no-one with an ounce of sense. Amazon have been fucking up console pre-orders and deliveries for nearly fifteen years. 

8 minutes ago, Thor said:

Er, absolutely no-one with an ounce of sense. Amazon have been fucking up console pre-orders and deliveries for nearly fifteen years. 

7 minutes ago, gospvg said:

Yep I use shopto for anything I want on day one.

True! I've been using smaller places for the past few years, Simplygames, The Game Collection, Base etc The trouble with Amazon is that they obviously use Amazon Logistics for all deliveries and they're not very good; Your order is 8 stops away.....6 hours later it's still not been delivered :hmm:

10 hours ago, Mr Do 71 said:

Balls. Pre-ordering games to get a beta code was useful on Amazon, cause you could cancel once you got the code. Probably why they're doing this.

Surely you can still cancel and get a refund though? 

I don't like Amazon's monopoly very much but at least with consoles you know they won't give you the run around when something goes wrong. They sorted out my PS4 sticks disintegrating about 2.5 years after purchase. 

They also got me my PS4 and PSVR on launch day. 

11 hours ago, Minion said:

It was a useful loophole for getting pre order beta access and then cancelling without funds ever being taken, I guess you could still do that but pay then cancel.

That's probably why they stopped it. People taking advantage of offers then canceling.

Also things like the PS Classic last year. From my Amazon stats it was something like well over 100 pre-ordered, then all but 7 or 8 actually kept the pre-order after reviews. I'm just a small time affiliater with my Facebook pages, but if that trend was carried over everywhere Amazon may have viewed it as a big chunk of lost revenue.

5 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I don't like Amazon's monopoly very much but at least with consoles you know they won't give you the run around when something goes wrong. They sorted out my PS4 sticks disintegrating about 2.5 years after purchase. 

They also got me my PS4 and PSVR on launch day. 

They have always been good to me with consoles, getting them on Launch etc. (They mostly use DHL or DPD up here). The only time I had an issue with a console delivery was when they swapped my faulty One X, the replacement came with MyHermes and he left it in the middle of the garden in the rain.

This is actually a good thing for me, 

Now me really wants something and if I've got the money am happy to pay for it, 3 months down the road me could be skint. I used to do the same thing with comics, I'd pay for an entire year's worth of comics up front and then I get a little gift a couple of times a month that I've already paid for 

50 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

It's confirmed to be site wide so the Beta key argument doesn't cut it. Also those keys cost them absolutely nothing.

What other things are routinely pre-ordered that are likely to make the as much money / be as likely for mass cancellation as something like a game or the PS Classic?

13 minutes ago, Monkeyspill said:

Does this apply to older pre-orders? I’ve got a few and can’t really cope with the combined amount for all coming out of my account in one go.

I have a few Omnibus collections pre ordered prior to the change and haven't been charged. Whilst my order for Saga book 3 took the money straight away at the start of May and that arrives next week. So I'm assuming older orders are fine. 

This is a fucking disaster!

I like to preorder games... it gets my hyped. I’ve preordered FF7 Remake for goodness sake.

Money that I couldn’t have in June 2019 I can have in June 2020... Surely this will just plunge all of their preorder stats?

And if it’s to protect against limited editions and popular items, just alter the policy for those specific bloody items...