rllmuk
Omizzay

Quake II RTX

Nvidia and id Software are bringing real-time ray tracing to Quake 2, officially. The release, known as Quake 2 RTX, will be available as a free download for Linux and Windows PC on June 6. Nvidia promises “top-to-bottom enhancements that improve virtually every aspect” of the 1997 first-person shooter.

“We’re massive fans of the original, and even-bigger fans of technology, so when presented with the opportunity to remaster a classic game with all that ray tracing can offer, we jumped at the chance,” Nvidia said on its website. “Quake II RTX demonstrates the possibilities of ray tracing, and offers a glimpse at the future of gaming, with realistic real-time lighting, shadows and effects.”

Those visual effects include, but are not limited to, the following enhancements, according to Nvidia:

Improved Global Illumination rendering, with three selectable quality presets, including two-bounce GI

Time of day options that radically change the appearance of some levels

New weapon models & textures

Real-time reflectivity of the player and weapon model on water and glass surfaces, and player model shadows, for owners of the complete game (the original Shareware release does not include player models)

All 3,000+ original game textures have been updated with a mix of Q2XP mod-pack textures and our own enhancements

Updated effects with new sprites and particle animations

Dynamic lighting for items such as blinking lights, signs, switches, elevators and moving objects

You can see Quake 2 RTX in action in the video above. The first three levels of the game will be released for free on June 6 for everyone. Those who already own a copy of Quake 2 can play the full campaign and multiplayer mode by downloading the remastered update. Nvidia recommends a GeForce RTX 2060 or higher in order to play Quake 2 RTX.

• Upvote 3

I wasn't a big Quake player, but everywhere being so bright seems a bit wrong to me. Is it just me? I thought the dark dinginess was all part of how it should be.

• Upvote 4

God I loved the early quakes.  I’ll never forget @Stanley getting his first desktop. It was the first time I’d seen the internet. 

Yes were talking along time ago.  Spending an evening until the early hours getting chased by that fucking shambler thing and pinging grenades from up above  and gibbing stuff is just etched into my mind. 

The greatest of times. 

• Upvote 5

18 minutes ago, Dave White said:

God I loved the early quakes.  I’ll never forget @Stanley getting his first desktop. It was the first time I’d seen the internet. 

Yes were talking along time ago.  Spending an evening until the early hours getting chased by that fucking shambler thing and pinging grenades from up above  and gibbing stuff is just etched into my mind. 

The greatest of times. 

Aye, amazing times man :)

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

I wasn't a big Quake player, but everywhere being so bright seems a bit wrong to me. Is it just me? I thought the dark dinginess was all part of how it should be.

Quake II was less consistently dark than the first, but it's clear from the clips that the lighting is making even the dark and gloomy areas dramatically different aesthetically. It's not necessarily a bad thing, just a notable change.

Played Quake II through to completion for the first time ever in the last year and it was excellent.

Doom, Doom II, Quake and Quake II is just such a brilliant run of games from a single studio.

This looks a lot better than the various ‘enhanced’ mods you get, but do wish they’ve left the original texture resolution and exact style in place. Pixel density, that matches the poly count, that matches the level design, and even that matches the amount of animation data and audio quality is super important.

Just the lighting would be enough.

• Upvote 1

Oh man Quake 2 memories. The grapple hook in CTF was soooo much fun. Have vivid memories of that leading to insane amounts of Half Life CTF then of course Team Fortress forever and ever.  :D

SLI'd Voodoo2's FTW! 8-)

The day I inputted mouse look changed my life. 

I bought my first desktop from tiny computers Not long after playing on @Stanley set up. I couldn’t shake it and the longing for Quake of my own was too severe. 

Think i paid 1800 through Tiny on Hp and probably ended up paying around 70k with interest.  

Problem was I then saw a voodoo gfx card running gl quake and so it started all again. 

Things you do for games eh?

• Upvote 3

These look quite different to the lighting effects in Stranger's Wrath and Sands of Time on the Xbox.

At the moment I'm playing DSDoom, which is a strange rebuild of the entire DOOM engine for an obscure operating system kernel. I'm not sure who macks this sort of thing though.

I'm a little bit confused why the Quake 2 level initially loads as orange, like Valve's Source engine? I don't see how that would work on Nitro.

• Downvote 1

Uneducated guess - Maybe the default colour for unloaded textures?

I've seen other stand out colours used for geometry with no textures assigned to make it easier for folk to flag

As an old school (Read: Old) iD fan, I can think of nothing more exciting than an old Quake being remade with new tech bolted on.

Having just built my new PC with an overclocked 2070 helps too! :wub:

• Upvote 3

15 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I just googled the price of a 2060 and then the price of a 2070 :(

Sure, but the q2 rtx update is free... 

• Upvote 2

Wow, that video took me back to 1999 and some great LAN parties. Quake 2 was a friggin fantastic deathmatch game.

• Upvote 1

This Jeremy Clarkson is correct that DSDoom has slowdown when enemies are apparent, but the same is true of DS Hexen, and Dragonquest - even though they're entirely different products from different people. Ergo there's something going in the system kernel which could be described as a form of... spyware? It tracks number of people, or number of agents (people with agency), and knows fucked up shit like what they want for their birthday (just guessing).

Also, people might note the iD software style composition of the following if I mention it (I've mentioned it).

• Downvote 2

30 minutes ago, robdood said:

God I'd forgotten how much I loved the Q2 soundtrack :wub:

I'm attracting negs and need to log off the forum for 3 months voluntarily, but it's very Irish in composition, as is the other set of compositions. Bill Bailey did an interesting analysis of this once.

• Downvote 1

18 hours ago, iknowgungfu said:

How random. It's really strange to see an old game updated with new lighting..

This originates from a project to field test new rendering techniques done by somebody who did some work experience at Nvidia which NV have now decided to polish up as it helps show off the capabilities of a commercial product they wish to sell more of. John Carmack made all his earlier work open source so there was nothing stopping them from doing whatever they like to the game.

It's a huge step up from the original proof-of-concept version.

Only the oldies will remember the dial up modem sounds, inputting the room codes to play online, the ping of excitement when your buddy appeared. Many a night of online Quake entailed against @Stanley who lived in the flat above.

I came home one day to my lady who had a face like thunder and a blue yonder bill was passed over to me.

£200 was a fuck load of money back then.

I wish I'd have known about lan cables 

:bye:

• Upvote 3
  • Empathy 1

Hahaha @Dave White getting broadband was a godsend - then we could phone each other up to choose servers etc. The earliest form of voice chat :D I seem to recall hooking our Dreamcasts up to play Quake 3 and Unreal Tournament too, could be misremembering though. 

43 minutes ago, mushashi said:

This originates from a project to field test new rendering techniques done by somebody who did some work experience at Nvidia which NV have now decided to polish up as it helps show off the capabilities of a commercial product they wish to sell more of. John Carmack made all his earlier work open source so there was nothing stopping them from doing whatever they like to the game.

It's a huge step up from the original proof-of-concept version.

Reminds me a bit of Quake II for the Xbox 360 - someone new at iD needed to get to grips then-new Xbox 360 and decided to do a full HD 60 FPS port of the game.

3 hours ago, Dave White said:

Only the oldies will remember the dial up modem sounds, inputting the room codes to play online, the ping of excitement when your buddy appeared. Many a night of online Quake entailed against @Stanley who lived in the flat above.

I came home one day to my lady who had a face like thunder and a blue yonder bill was passed over to me.

£200 was a fuck load of money back then.

I wish I'd have known about lan cables 

:bye:

I had a similar event with my parents and the number for BT's Wireplay service. 

• Upvote 1

Oh man QSpy whIch became Gamespy was used so so much and then Wireplay as well. Typing all those numbers in before the joys of a, gasp, server list(!) and then hurray off we go till the early early hours...again.

I think I nearly became one with Team Fortress Classic (TFC). I was so in to that, it was bloody brilliant. 2Fort and the Well are ingrained in my brain. :lol:

• Upvote 1

My first ever online gaming experience was actually Kingpin: Life Of Crime on PC, I'd love to see a fancy pants version of that. Unlikely tho right? I since found out Viktor Antonov of HL2/Dishonored fame did a lot of the design work for that game, it had a fairly cool hard boiled noir/alternate history aesthetic going on that was a bit overshadowed by the OTT swearing and gore. 

• Upvote 4