Elden Ring - Leaked footage!

52 minutes ago, jonamok said:

34s of it all stitched together here, some boss fight bits too.

May as well just release a decent quality version now.

3 hours ago, Flanders said:

Dark Souls 2 and 3 both had very interesting concepts sliced out and it shows in the final version - Dark Souls 3 is a really good game and all but there’s no way the original intention was for it to be ‘just like Dark Souls 1 with a bit of Bloodborne on the side’.

It was supposed to have a system where you could create your own bonfires from corpses. The coiled sword item which you get in the game then use once before never needing again is a leftover from this and you can see the player character dragging a corpse around in one of the trailers. 

Just now, Broker said:

It was supposed to have a system where you could create your own bonfires from corpses.

That could be a really great mechanic especially if the number of corpse fires was limited and assuming they would be a total replacement for campfires. Seems a brilliant way to really amp up the risk v reward tension...

All of the Dark Souls/Soulslike games have managed to capture the feeling of the oppression and the combat and all of that but none have had half of the sense of place of the first game. I think it's partly due to the structure and the connected-ness of the world but I honestly think a huge part of it is the lack of fast travel in souls 1. You had to learn the world and work out what connected to what just because you had to make these journeys so many times to do certain things. 

I don't want a series of challenges one after the other, what I want is a world to get lost in and learn and know by the end of the experience. 

And I really hope they have the balls to go back to the obtuse, weird punishing mechanics and systems.  hearing about things being removed like the bonfire creation (or proper dragonrot in Sekiro) is sadface. 

6 minutes ago, englishbob said:

Fingers crossed this isn't open world. I loved the amount of genius Bloodborne had in its interconnected world design with shortcuts opening up etc.

Imagine, if you will, essentially replacing the Nexus from Demon's with a small-medium size open world map..  With nooks and crannies and secrets and stuff.  There will still be 'places' in this, memorable dungeons/castle/towns that you can't help but learn.  Just with some horse riding in between.

TBH, I ended up learning the BotW map about as well as I memorised Soulsborne's worlds.  Open world doesn't necessarily mean forgettable

12 minutes ago, englishbob said:

Fingers crossed this isn't open world. I loved the amount of genius Bloodborne had in its interconnected world design with shortcuts opening up etc.

If it is, just don't fall into the 'look how expansive we've made it for no particular reason' trap.

45 minutes ago, Benny said:

I hope the entire map is just covered in wells.

Only if you can jump down the very first one to acquire an EXTREMELY helpful secret item - just like in Dark Souls 1.

• Broker changed the title to Elden Ring - Leaked footage!
1 hour ago, Vemsie said:

And unique locations instead of things like 100 similar Breath of the Wild shrines, with temples, ruins and dungeons with From's high-quality level design.

*drools*

The shrines were a neat piece of visual design in BOTW - the consistency meant they were easily spotted on the huge map, and they could be picked out from all sorts of angles. Or hidden and teased, if desired. 

"Unique locations" would have to be not just interesting but visually striking to be picked out in the same way. Dark Souls map is massively, hugely better than any other Souls game (even Bloodborne, but that's a lot closer) because of the cleverness of its design and the way it makes you constantly traverse it for large sections of the game. If this is indeed open world then making transversable and sticking in your head is going to be a real challenge, especially if it goes full From and is deliberately obscure with no maps. 

God it looks amazing. I think I might go Dark. Worked well for Sekiro.. Someone update thread title if/when we get a release date please.. 

I'm just happy it's basically more From greatness. 

1 minute ago, Mike S said:

If this isn’t the game of whatever year it is released then I will buy a wizards hat and eat it.

Without condiments.

Ooooooooh Mike S's ring