rllmuk
Broker

Elden Ring - From Software Open World RPG with George RR Martin

19 hours ago, robdood said:

Not really when only one of those games is properly brilliant...

*runs*

I wouldn't be that harsh on Bloodborne and DS3. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Dark Souls 3 is brilliant you heathens, and I'm willing to resort to fisticuffs over it

It's my favourite DS. Though structurewise the first game beats it hands down, the increase in power of the ps4 gave us one of the most memorable and beautifully rendered settings in all of Miyazaki's work. Imo the ps4 truly allowed Miyazaki's oeuvre to reach it's full potential.

I am really curious to see how he tackles open world games.

"Elden Ring. Oh, Elden Ring!"

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, Keyboard Koala said:

It's my favourite DS. Though structurewise the first game beats it hands down, the increase in power of the ps4 gave us one of the most memorable and beautifully rendered settings in all of Miyazaki's work. Imo the ps4 truly allowed Miyazaki's oeuvre to reach it's full potential.

I am really curious to see how he tackles open world games.

"Elden Ring. Oh, Elden Ring!"

I dunno man, ds4 definitely seem to just nick the "loads of things" (eg graves / cages) style of Bloodborne and basically looked a bit too much like a copy imo. 

I swear a lot of the scenic props were just identical. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Dark Souls 3 is brilliant you heathens, and I'm willing to resort to fisticuffs over it

They’re all brilliant I was only joshing, even a relatively weaker From game is better than 99% of the competition imo. 

I've been playing DS2 a lot recently and it's properly brilliant on NG+, I enjoyed NG years ago when Scholar first came out, but am enjoying NG+ even more now, properly ramps up the difficulty.

And the lore links between it and DS1 are really interesting when you put the effort into uncovering them, which I didn't really do on my first playthough. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, robdood said:

I dunno man, ds4 definitely seem to just nick the "loads of things" (eg graves / cages) style of Bloodborne and basically looked a bit too much like a copy imo. 

I swear a lot of the scenic props were just identical. 

No man, it's the peak of Miyazaki's oeuvre, it's everything he had experimented with before done right, the lore, the combat, the weapons, the bosses, everything is pretty much perfect in DS3.

Then he want and ruined it with Sekiro

*runs*

• Upvote 3

DS 2 is the secret best Dark Souls game. They’re all excellent though let’s be honest.

1 hour ago, Minion said:

No man, it's the peak of Miyazaki's oeuvre, it's everything he had experimented with before done right, the lore, the combat, the weapons, the bosses, everything is pretty much perfect in DS3.

Then he want and ruined it with Sekiro

*runs*

Heheh.  I'll give you that the combat is probably the best it's been in Dark Souls. Though I prefer Bloodborne's frantic feeling. Bosses too were pretty great.  But ultimately it was all too familiar for me by that point.  It's still GREAT.  And I still LOVED the first time through it.  It's just, none of the games have managed the lighting-in-a-bottle feel of adventure and exploration of the first half / two-thirds of Dark 1, though.  

Except for Hollow Knight.  :D

Sekiro's a weird one too.  I really like it, it had its own vibe and sense of mystery.  I felt they missed a trick by not having more than one weapon though (like, a spear / flails would've been excellent).  And those weapon arts were a bit weak. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Keyboard Koala said:

Still haven't played DS2. So put off by the first opening hour, that I stopped playing and never went back.

I'm not really one for negs so I'll just quote and say I hope you stub your damn toe, clown. 

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1

ALSO: omg 60fps Demon's Souls is up and running! :wub: might be time for a replay! 

53 minutes ago, El Spatula said:

It basically goes DS, Bloodborne, Nioh, DS2 SotFS /DS3

Correction: DaS, DeS, DaS3, Bloodborne, DaS2

Didn't get on with Sekiro sadly and still need to give NioH another shot.

Just now, Mr. Gerbik said:

Correction: DaS, DeS, DaS3, Bloodborne, DaS2

Didn't get on with Sekiro sadly and still need to give NioH another shot.

Nioh was weird when I played the first fwe hours.  A lot to like, it's a bit like Ninja Gaiden Souls, but with STUPID TEDIOUS amounts of loot.  It's weird, but kind of alluring. 

I haven't played as much of the series as others, but I got the impression that DS2 was only the "worst" in the context of SoulsbornekiroRings - compared to your average action RPG from another developer it's still alright?

The loot in Nioh is essentially a non concern. Sell everything bar the thing with the highest number. Once you finish the main game farm for decent kit. That's about it.

There's some subtlety as well like but it only really kicks in after you finish the main game.

The combat is the best. Possibly better than Bloodborne. Just the variety of enemies/locales lets it down a bit. 

For me it's Bloodborne, Sekiro, DS3, DS, DS2. Have yet to play Demon's. The first three games have the best combat and boss fights and those are probably my favourite parts of these games, followed by level design and lore. I don't really care about build variety and such. Sekiro isn't really a Souls game of course, but I do hope its butter smooth combat and far superior traversal return someday, because going back to Soulsborne after Sekiro feels like wading through quicksand.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Vemsie said:

For me it's Bloodborne, Sekiro, DS3, DS, DS2. Have yet to play Demon's. The first three games have the best combat and boss fights and those are probably my favourite parts of these games, followed by level design and lore. 

My thoughts exactly. Have a well deserved pos good sir. Umbasa.

1 hour ago, robdood said:

ALSO: omg 60fps Demon's Souls is up and running! :wub: might be time for a replay! 

Wait wut where? Emulation?

I fucking loved Sekiro. Once. Upon replaying I didn't find it fun at all. The rest I can replay ad infinitum.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, El Spatula said:

I fucking loved Sekiro. Once. Upon replaying I didn't find it fun at all. The rest I can replay ad infinitum.

I hear that, though for me replaying any of them bar Dark 1 and Bloodborne has been a bit trickier.  I think this is because you have more scope to go 'out of order' in those games vs the others.

Sekiro had a good ng+ difficulty modifier of sorts which made things more interesting. 

Its for that reason I've wanted to replay Dark 2, I never played Scholar. I've tried to play it, but I find it to 'old'-feeling nowadays. Which is weird because I didn't feel that way playing the tutorial of Demon's last night!  Almost beat the bloody vanguard too! Still got it! :wub:

14 hours ago, Bojangle said:

DS 2 is the secret best Dark Souls game. They’re all excellent though let’s be honest.

It really (maybe) is. All it lacks compared to the original is the intricacy of intertwined environment. And possibly it has a slightly higher number of "filler" boss battles compared to epic ones. But the levels themselves are some of the coolest environments - compare later levels liken Shrine of Amana and Aldia's Mansion to Lost Izalith or Tomb of Giants in DS1 , and DS2's levels are way more atmospheric and interesting.

DS2 really is the worst for me. The combat is not as tight, it has the worst bosses by far and the level design is lacking. The DLC is good though.

I'm curious what Moon Studio (Ori) will bring to the table. Their next project is an AAA Action RPG inspired by Dark Souls and Zelda.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Vemsie said:

I'm curious what Moon Studio (Ori) will bring to the table. Their next project is an AAA Action RPG inspired by Dark Souls and Zelda.

Is it? They’re brilliant, so that’s definitely something I’ll be keeping an eye on. Where did you hear about it?