rllmuk
Broker

Elden Ring - From Software Open World RPG with George RR Martin

"Miyazaki says that he presented "themes, ideas as well as many game-related aspects" to Martin, who, after "many free and creative conversations", created the overarching mythos for the game world."

Stop distracting him and let him finish writing FFS!!! :lol:

• Upvote 1

I am obviously hyped for this. 

I also have no idea what Martin can bring to FROMs amazing worlds other than his name. I like FROM's subtle/obtuse story telling just as it is so, hopefully, there won't be too much expositon.. 

• Upvote 2

That’s not really fair. It will have three/four very satisfying parts, three/four boring parts, then never actually get finished.

• Upvote 1

You can finish a few of the main characters story arc's, but you'll be waiting years for the continuation DLC.

Seems odd that Miyazaki is doing the story, and Martin is doing the mythology, as I'd say that Miyazaki was much better at creating interesting lore than Martin, and Martin is much more skilled at creating engaging plots. I don't remember much mythology from the books or the series, other than stuff like the forest folk, the Lord of Light, the old gods, and the ice zombies, and none of that was particularly interesting in itself. The appeal of Game of Thrones was down to the characters, their scheming and the associated courtly intrigue.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, K said:

Seems odd that Miyazaki is doing the story, and Martin is doing the mythology, as I'd say that Miyazaki was much better at creating interesting lore than Martin, and Martin is much more skilled at creating engaging plots. I don't remember much mythology from the books or the series, other than stuff like the forest folk, the Lord of Light, the old gods, and the ice zombies, and none of that was particularly interesting in itself. The appeal of Game of Thrones was down to the characters, their scheming and the associated courtly intrigue.

I thought the way he foreshadowed Jon's parentage in Ned's flashbacks and dreams about the Tower of Joy was really well done. He's also very good at naming places and events. 

13 minutes ago, K said:

The appeal of Game of Thrones was down to the characters, their scheming and the associated courtly intrigue.

And most of that was ripped straight out of the pages of medieval European history.

24 minutes ago, K said:

I'm not sure why Martin would need to be involved but, seeing as he is, I'm just pleased he is kept away from managing plot in an interactive medium. I don't think anybody handles that as deftly as Miyazaki.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Horribleman said:

I thought the way he foreshadowed Jon's parentage in Ned's flashbacks. 

Yeah but we all saw that coming right?

Surely EVERYONE knew that was gonna happen?

23 minutes ago, GamesGamesGames said:

I'm not sure why Martin would need to be involved but, seeing as he is, I'm just pleased he is kept away from managing plot in an interactive medium. I don't think anybody handles that as deftly as Miyazaki.

The name. It adds weight.

Same way celeb's have put their name on things for donkeys. To sell stuff.

Just now, Ballzzie said:

Yeah but we all saw that coming right?

Surely EVERYONE knew that was gonna happen?

Yes but it was analysed to death. The reason the Kingsguard were not with Rhaegar, the Flowers at the josting contest. All really well hinted at. Doesn't matter that everyone agreed that the theory was correct. It was a really well done part.

28 minutes ago, Horribleman said:

I thought the way he foreshadowed Jon's parentage in Ned's flashbacks and dreams about the Tower of Joy ... He's also very good at naming places and events. 

Except for the "Tower of Joy".

23 minutes ago, Ballzzie said:

The name. It adds weight.

Same way celeb's have put their name on things for donkeys. To sell stuff.

Yes, I see why he is.

As I said, I don't see why he would need to be.

18 minutes ago, GamesGamesGames said:

Yes, I see why he is.

As I said, I don't see why he would need to be.

Same reason any big name is attached to anything. To Sell More of it!

Its all about those Dollars bro!

2 hours ago, Ballzzie said:

Same reason any big name is attached to anything. To Sell More of it!

Its all about those Dollars bro!

I know how the world works mate, particularly in entertainment. Again, what you're saying isn't what I'm asking. Pay it no mind.

3 minutes ago, GamesGamesGames said:

I know how the world works mate, particularly in entertainment. Again, what you're saying isn't what I'm asking. Pay it no mind.

Don't be fucking dickish. You know you question pretty much equates to the answer I gave.

There was no real need at all for Martin to be aboard, but Miyazaki liked some of his work and reached out, probably because he has that power now and maybe wanted some fresh ideas, and Martin, who likes earning money and having work put his way, decided to help and do what hes good at and created the mythos of this new game.

The publishers would of seen this as a great combination and with both names above the title wouldn't object to the pairing so I'm sure would of helped get them talking.

And of course they would see it making loads of money.

That is your answer.

• Upvote 1

Miyazaki did an interview with IGN Japan and some guy over at Era did a quick translation job of some bullet points:

- Elden Ring is developed in a game field that is much larger than previous titles and some gameplay aspects will change naturally as a result of that.

- In addition to the complex and interconnected dungeons there is an open field between these points of interest.

- There were three main reasons for going with a more open world approach.
1. To show the story and the world on a larger scale.
2. To increase the depth and feeling of exploration.
3. To make the battles more open.

- Horse is used for traversal and you can battle while riding it.

- With having wider areas, they hope to expand on the ways you can approach enemies/bosses. He name-dropped BotW and how the environment can be used to defeat enemies. Edit (unclear if it's the author of the article or Miyazaki name dropping BotW)

- Following the same structure of telling the lore as in Souls but on a bigger scale. There may be side quests that don't involve any type of battling.

- (unclear here) They are not including high populated towns and villages cause the game is already a big enough challenge for them to tackle. They are focusing on their strengths and high density towns isn't one of them. The game will stick to classic FROM levels (dungeons, ruins, castles).

- While they take inspiration from different open world games, this is FROM's own unique take on it. They are trying to be as authentic and original as possible without being too influenced by other works.

- Main story by Miyazaki.

• Upvote 8