rllmuk
Broker

Elden Ring - From Software Open World RPG with George RR Martin

On 08/06/2019 at 21:58, Vemsie said:

This really is quite remarkable. Some devs struggle to release one game this gen, but From will have released 5 before this gen is done, 4 of which are new IP. And on top of that, they released Scholar of the First Sin and a couple of substantial DLC, including The Old Hunters, arguably the greatest DLC ever made. I hope they'll announce Sekiro DLC later this year, if I may be selfish.

It's crazy how a niche Japanese developer became one of the highest-rated studios around, selling millions of titles that buck industry trends and now they're headlining E3 with a game George R.R. Martin contributed to.

Insane.

Miyazaki is a living legend.

Just hope its more Bloodborne/Dark Souls 3 than Dark Souls 2. Which was wank.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Ballzzie said:

I don't think it's wank, but I agree it's the worst one of their more recent games. Probably because it didn't have Miyazaki (co-)directing. This project seems to be their most ambitious yet and given the pedigree involved, definitely something to look forward to.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Raoull duke said:

Let's speculate wildly as to the release date.

My educated guess: March 24th 2020.

Maybe after a full reveal at TGS? What was the release to announcement time for DS3?

2 hours ago, Raoull duke said:

Let's speculate wildly as to the release date.

My educated guess: March 24th 2020.

Nah I'm with you, they love releasing stuff in march! 

Though I'd happily wait til 2021 for something totally huge and ambitious and awesome. 

I LOVE YOU FROMSOFTWARE

I'm expecting a gameplay reveal at Gamescom, Sekiro DLC announced at TGS and Elden Ring released in Spring 2020. Which is shaping up to be a batshit insane year for gaming.

1 hour ago, Ballzzie said:

Admin pls ban

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, Ballzzie said:

Nah. Dark Souls 2 while worse than BloodBorne and DS3 is better than 99.9% of games. 

• Upvote 7

Timing wise, it’s almost certainly the Dark Souls 3 team, though there’s a slim chance it could be the Bloodborne team.

1 hour ago, Broker said:

Timing wise, it’s almost certainly the Dark Souls 3 team, though there’s a slim chance it could be the Bloodborne team.

I can't say if they're the exact same teams, but Sekiro started development after The Old Hunters was finished and this after the last Dark Souls III DLC was shipped.

12 hours ago, El Spatula said:

Nah. Dark Souls 2 while worse than BloodBorne and DS3 is better than 99.9% of games. 

Ok that argument is valid yes.

But I am a Souls disciple. Since I imported an Asian version of Demon's Souls on my PS3 got Platinum, then double dipped when it was released here and Platinumed again and did the same with DS1.

Dark Souls 2 for me is a bastard.

An offshoot of a pure breed of brilliance that lost everything that made the other games amazing. And funnily enough it all boils down that to one man.

You play DS3 and Bloodborne and you can see immediately that DS2 shouldn't of happened without Miyazaki.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, El Spatula said:

Can I? I really fucking like Dark Souls 2. In some ways I prefer it to Dark Souls and Dark Souls 3.

I will pray for you.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Horribleman said:

Dark Souls 2 had a better overall atmosphere than 3. 

It did have very nice sky boxes.

• Upvote 1

I disagree that DS2 had  better atmosphere than 3, I thought it was pretty bland overall (DLC being the exception here). 3's art direction is much better, there is more variety and both level and enemy design are far superior. I can hardly remember a boss from 2, that's how unmemorable they are. 

• Upvote 4

I love DaS3 and  I will fight for it!

DaS2... I've bought and tried it so many times.... It just doesn't do it for me. Terrible level design too compared to DeS, DaS, BB, and DaS3 imo. Zero atmosphere, probably a result of cutting all the lighting effects out just before shipping. It looks so flat.

It's telling that the same people who love DaS2 also love Resi 6 :P

If this new game is the DaS3 team, I'm placing TWO pre-orders! :omg:

• Upvote 4

DS2 has terrible world design, it makes no sense as a place whatsoever, and doesn’t even make an excuse for it like 3 does. It’s also got terrible animations, with enemies that don’t respond at all when you hit them, and no response from your character when you’re hit. When it does trigger an animation it’s really slow and long, and the combat in general feels awful compared to all their other games.

• Upvote 2

In terms of pure level design, DS3's Cathedral of the Deep is the single best location in any From game in my opinion. Not only is it filled to the rim with secrets, it also uses the entire location so well, from the rooftops to its deepest depths.

I hope the open word of Elden Ring has constructs like this.

• Upvote 5

Just now, Vemsie said:

In terms of pure level design, DS3's Cathedral of the Deep is the single best location in any From game in my opinion. Not only is it filled to the rim with secrets, it also uses the entire location so well, from the rooftops to its deepest depths.

I hope the open word of Elden Ring has constructs like this.

This. I was blown away by it while playing it a few months back. DaS1 will forever remain my overall favourite, but nothing in any From game beats the Cathedral of the Deep.

• Upvote 1

I have negged everyone who has expressed a preference for Dark Souls 2 over any other Souls Borne game, on any level.

A man must have a code.

You people have no place in the Souls community. No place in civilized society. Nor uncivilized society for that matter. You represent an intellectual contagion that must be weeded out root and stem. 

Genocide. It's an ugly business; but we can't carry on letting these people walk among us spreading their filth. Think of the children. 

• Upvote 1

I would hazard a guess that an open world Soulsborne game would resemble Dark Souls 2 more than any of the other games, if only because DS2 is structured around a large number of small areas dotted around a large island / continent, which don’t really connect with each other - as opposed to one huge area that’s full of smaller sub areas that are intricately woven into each other, like Dark Souls 1 (or Bloodborne, to a lesser extent). The Dark Souls 2 approach would seem to lend itself to an open world much more than the DS1 style. 

15 hours ago, Raoull duke said:

I have negged everyone who has expressed a preference for Dark Souls 2 over any other Souls Borne game, on any level.

A man must have a code.

You people have no place in the Souls community. No place in civilized society. Nor uncivilized society for that matter. You represent an intellectual contagion that must be weeded out root and stem. 

Genocide. It's an ugly business; but we can't carry on letting these people walk among us spreading their filth. Think of the children. 

You sir, are my new BFF.

15 hours ago, K said:

I would hazard a guess that an open world Soulsborne game would resemble Dark Souls 2 more than any of the other games, if only because DS2 is structured around a large number of small areas dotted around a large island / continent, which don’t really connect with each other - as opposed to one huge area that’s full of smaller sub areas that are intricately woven into each other, like Dark Souls 1 (or Bloodborne, to a lesser extent). The Dark Souls 2 approach would seem to lend itself to an open world much more than the DS1 style. 

Im expecting multiple areas of the quality of DS1 and Bloodborne connected together with a BOTW style open world. It’s possible that I’m being too optimistic.

Again, DS2 shows you how you could do this. The frozen city from the Frozen Crown DLC would make an amazing location in an open world game, as would the other DLC areas - they're intricate but self-contained, and exist in a clearly defined environment.

Indeed, and areas of that quality in a world that is coherent would be a good game. I don’t think the vase game is anywhere close to that level though, most of it’s areas are extremely boring, poorly designed and linear. The world design and level layouts in the DLC are definitely much better, though the DLC can’t fix the combat.