Elden Ring - E3 2021 Trailer in First Post

18 hours ago, Polmon said:

The one thing GRRM does much better than from is characters. I think he can help give a much richer cast of deeper  characters than From usually put in. That's not a slight against From's character design or writing, but none of them as very fleshed out of have much dialog (particularly in comparison to open world narrative games). 

The degree to which From are subtractive with character is what makes them work within their respective worlds. More information doesn't always (rarely, tbh) make for stronger character work.

20 hours ago, Mike S said:

If even half of that is true and ends up in the game then, my word, this going to be quite the scene...

The only thing I am not at all bothered by is the George Martin connection as FROM mythology has always been brilliant.

Yeah I'm not really bothered about the GM connection, as much as I like watching lore videos and stuff after the fact, it's not really the reason I'm playing. 

Vemsie's post sounds great.  But I'm wary, mainly because these kind of 'in the know' posts are always a bit hyperbolic (e.g. similar gushing prior to Dark 3 and Sekiro, which from memory didn't quite live up to the final thing). 

But bring it on! :D

1 minute ago, GamesGamesGames said:

The degree to which From are subtractive with character is what makes them work within their respective worlds. More information doesn't always (rarely, tbh) makes for stronger character work.

Yes, this. 

It is what is missing that makes the world's and characters that inhabit them so intriguing. The endless, tedious, expostion and character back stories are why I have never been able to engage with any other RPG's. I just dont care what every shopkeeper or random NPC had to say and resent having things spelled out for me all the bloody time. 

But, as per @Vemsie's post it seems that is highly unlikely to be the case. Keeping Martin in the very background will be much my preference although the concept of' high fantasy' rather than 'dark' is also a slight worry as I cannot be doing with that trad fantasy stuff very much at all. 

5 minutes ago, robdood said:

as much as I like watching lore videos and stuff after the fact, it's not really the reason I'm playing

Yep, I love how the world and its history is all there in front of the player whether it is the architectural details, item descriptions, attire, and even the snippets of dialogue.

I'm too keen on actually playing the game to work out the mythology myself but it is absolutely pervasive and I always feel totally embedded, and invested, in FROM worlds even as I mostly do not understand any of the relationships whilst playing. 

20 hours ago, Calashnikov said:

Interesting that they’re referencing Scotland for the world design. Makes sense since they apparently got an awful lot of inspiration for all those Valley of Defilement / Blighttown-style shit tips from looking at Kirkcaldy.

I laughed hard at this.

That big post does sound like a fanfic fever dream of a Souls wishlist, it just sounds too advanced and sophisticated for a FROM title.

Do we know if this is next gen only or are they supporting PS4/Bone?

9 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

I laughed hard at this.

That big post does sound like a fanfic fever dream of a Souls wishlist, it just sounds too advanced and sophisticated for a FROM title.

Back when it was announced the current consoles hadn't even been revealed or hinted at yet. Back then they said PS4, XB1, and Windows of course. Who knows how the situation is now, but cross gen seems likely. Or if we're not in luck, the current gen versions will come later and until then we have to make do with playing it through BC.

1 hour ago, Mike S said:

But, as per @Vemsie's post it seems that is highly unlikely to be the case. Keeping Martin in the very background will be much my preference although the concept of' high fantasy' rather than 'dark' is also a slight worry as I cannot be doing with that trad fantasy stuff very much at all. 

Given that it's Miyzaki and Martin it will still probably be a pretty bleak take on it, but I agree. In fact, I would love From to tackle sci-fi weirdness one day after finding both Bloodborne and Sekiro refreshing settings after the fantasy of previous From titles. I'm not a big fan of fantasy in the first place. One of the reasons I'm looking forward to Returnal so much is that it really taps in that Jeff Vandermeer, Lovecraft, Cronenberg and Lynch vibe that I dig so much. I hope From's next game is not fantasy. Still hyped as fuck about Elden Ring obviously.

1 hour ago, Uncle Nasty said:

I laughed hard at this.

It's not fanfic, it's a verified insider. I'm also not sure why it's supposed to be too advanced and sophisticated for a From title. BotW is doing some crazy stuff and that's running on a Wii U.

I'd argue that Demon's and Dark had more sophisticated design than most modern games.

7 hours ago, Hello Goaty ♥ said:

Elden Ring versus Skyrim next chapter then?  I wonder which will be out first...

Do you mean between this and TESVI? Because Elden Ring is From’s next project and is already advanced enough that it has the material for the leaked trailer, which is apparently at least a year old. TESVI is coming after Starfield and is most likely nothing more than a tech demo at the moment. 

If you meant will Elden Ring be out before they find an excuse to release Skyrim again, of course it won’t. 

On 03/03/2021 at 22:48, Made of Ghosts said:

Drawing your own map is the kind of fuck-you-casuals mechanic I could really get into. Surprised there were no DS/3DS games that made you do it (or were there?)

When I was playing Bravely Default on my 3DS, I actually used the built in drawing app to create custom maps to show the locations of multiple locked treasure chests you come across in dungeons. One of them for something else I drew a world map and marked in colours key locations for something specific I had to know about later in the game. The only downside was that it was a limited save system for these images where you had less than 20 slides that could be saved onto a matrix grid and I had to start erasing old ones eventually. 

It was massively useful though having that app. 

• 1 month later...

Word is that it’s internal footage never meant to be seen by the public. Rumours suggest that it’s as old as the teaser we got, and may have been an alternate option for that initial reveal. 

4 hours ago, carlospie said:

Ms should buy this up as an Xbox exclusive. Day one gamepass. Would be worth every penny. 

That announcement will be the day when I’ll take a sabbatical from Rllmuk. 

• 4 weeks later...

Omni, a reputable Fromsoft insider who has correctly predicted many things about their releases, says he is excited for what’s about to happen. The last two times they announced new games, he posted something similar ten days before the announcements. Summer games fest is in ten days...

Did he say anything concrete or measurable, or did he just say he's excited for what's about to happen? That's not really a prediction. He might have just ordered a takeaway.

22 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

"I'm very excited for the announcement of FROM's first iOS exclusive, Elden Ring"

"Elden Ring will be a transmedia cinematic universe, made in conjunction with Amazon. We're excited to announce Elden Ring Prime, a physical ring and subscription plan that utilizes NFC technology to connect all your favourite Elden Ring experiences (incl. the game, movie,and tv series) to Elden Ring Eden, your online hub for everything Elden Ring. The first 100.000 subscribers will receive a 100% PVC statuette of whatever in-game chick we can give flimsy boob armour."

• Broker changed the title to Elden Ring - E3 2021 Trailer in First Post